Intercept Automatic Car Bluetooth Shuffle/Repeat Command

Ryan Terry

Mar 14, 2024, 10:41:56 AMMar 14
to Tasker

Ever since updating to Android 14 / One UI 6 I've encountered an issue involving shuffle and repeat when connected to my car's Bluetooth, and I'm wondering if Tasker might be able to help prevent this.

Whenever I connect to my car via BT, the shuffle and repeat status of my device are overrode in preference of the shuffle and repeat status of the car head unit. The main problem here is that the default shuffle and repeat status of the head unit is off, but I tend to listen to music with shuffle on. So let's say I stop for gas while listening to Playlist 1 on Shuffle. When I hop back in the car Playlist 1 plays sequentially, because the head unit told my device that shuffle should be off. This only happens during the initial connection, so if I'm able to intercept this using Tasker my problem will be solved. I have explored every other route, such as in-app settings, device settings, head unit settings, forgetting the BT connection then re-adding, etc.

Based on what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like I should be able to intercept these using the Media Button Events Action Grab, but I haven't been able to get this working, and don't quite understand Tasker (or this action) well enough to troubleshoot.

Can someone please help?

Ryan Terry

Apr 3, 2024, 2:39:59 PMApr 3
to Tasker
For anyone encountering the same issue, I was able to get this working using the following actions:

Wait 8 seconds [My head unit takes this long to initialize, so you might not need this at all, or a different duration]
Media Button Events Action Grab
Beep Frequency 8000 Duration 1000 [Frequency and duration can be adjusted]
Media Button Events Action Grab
Beep Frequency 8000 Duration 1000
Media Button Events Action Grab
Beep Frequency 8000 Duration 1000 [These are duplicated because I need to interrupt Play, Shuffle, and Repeat commands from the head unit]
Launch App Package/App Name GoneMAD [Optional]
Media Control Cmd Play Simulate Media Button Package/App Name GoneMAD [Optional]