Geofencing to adjust phone volume

Dr. David Otto

Aug 13, 2022, 11:18:36 AM8/13/22
to Tasker
For years I have been searching for a geofencing app to automatically turn off volume of phone when I enter a custom GPS mapped area (fence).  For example, When I am working at the hospital, I do not want my personal phone ringing, but as soon as I leave the hospital, I want full volume on my phone.  It frustrating that Apple has "reminders" app that easily  does this function for users, yet the superiors Android platform lacks such a native app, nor is it easily to find nor readily available in the play store.  I would gladly pay for this app and pay someone to help me set it up (I've read that this program is very technical and hard to use.  (Ironically, I have NEVER found an iPhone user that has any clue about the awesome geofencing app native to their device, nor even knows what geofencing is = frustrating)  PLEASE HELP = is this the right app for me?

isi...@gmail.com

Aug 13, 2022, 11:28:19 AM8/13/22
to Tasker
Hi,
You can use Tasker and a helper app called AutoLocation to do this.
AutoLocation is the app that you would use to define the geo fence, and then Tasker would be the app that reacted to the changes in your location and adjust your volume automatically.
There are quite a few tutorials for using AutoLocation, but if you can't figure it out, ask here and I'm sure myself and others will try to help.

Let us know,

Dr. David Otto

Aug 13, 2022, 5:42:26 PM8/13/22
to Tasker
Thank you very much for the response/advice.  It sounds complicated.  Do you have more information on this?  tutorial and pricing?
Thanks

Morgan Young

Aug 13, 2022, 8:17:16 PM8/13/22
to Tasker
hey Doc, I do something very similar for a very similar reason.  I also have my calendar tied into it and being "at work" also puts my phone.

tasker is a very robust app.  it is probably one of the best reasons to stay away from iphones.

if someone else can't help you, contact me off line because I can.

Morgan

Dr. David Otto

Aug 13, 2022, 10:25:02 PM8/13/22
to Tasker
Thank you Morgan.
Where do I start?

Sincerely,

Dr. David Otto, DC, RN

Morgan Young

Aug 14, 2022, 4:53:10 AM8/14/22
to Tasker

First, you need one or two apps. Tasker  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

If not, Go to tasker and learn how to set up a profile based on a location context.   specifically, tasker will notice when you get close to the hospital (or home, or wherever) and will do any actions you tell it to do.

Those two apps are fairly easy.  you will need to learn how to set geofences on the app autolocation around your hospital and name them

here is an example of mine

Profile:
    Profile: @ CMH Hospital
    Settings: Cooldown: 14400
    State: AutoLocation Geofences [ Configuration:Geofence Name: CMH Hospital
    Use Regex: true

    Enter Task: At Cmh

    A1: Get Location v2 [
         Timeout (Seconds): 30 ]

    A3: Perform Task [
         Name: At work

I have a task that runs:

    Task: Audio medic settings

    A1: Do Not Disturb [
         Mode: Custom Setting
         Allow Callers: Contacts
         Allow Repeat Callers: On
         Allow SMS Senders: Starred
         Allow Categories: Alarms,Events
         Suppressed Effects: Ambient,Badge,Full Screen Intent,Lights,Notification List,Peek,Screen Off,Screen On,Status Bar ]
        If  [ %Meeting ~ 1 | %Class ~ 1 ]

    A2: Alarm Volume [
         Level: 2 ]

    A3: In-Call Volume [
         Level: 5 ]

    A4: Media Volume [
         Level: 15 ]
        If  [ %Meeting ~ 0 & %Class ~ 0 ]

    A5: Media Volume [
         Level: 0 ]
        If  [ %Meeting ~ 1 | %Class ~ 1 ]

    A6: BT Voice Volume [
         Level: 14 ]

    A7: Vibrate Mode [
         Mode: Vibrate ]
        If  [ %Meeting ~ 0 | %Meeting !Set ]

    A8: Do Not Disturb [
         Mode: Allow All
         Allow Callers: Any
         Allow SMS Senders: Any
         Continue Task After Error:On ]
        If  [ %Meeting ~ 0 & %Class ~ 0 ]

    A9: Auto Brightness [ ]

Morgan

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022, 21:24 Dr. David Otto <drot...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you Morgan.
Where do I start?

Sincerely,

Dr. David Otto, DC, RN

On Saturday, August 13, 2022 at 11:28:19 AM UTC-4 isi...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
You can use Tasker and a helper app called AutoLocation to do this.
AutoLocation is the app that you would use to define the geo fence, and then Tasker would be the app that reacted to the changes in your location and adjust your volume automatically.
There are quite a few tutorials for using AutoLocation, but if you can't figure it out, ask here and I'm sure myself and others will try to help.

Let us know,

On Saturday, August 13, 2022 at 11:18:36 AM UTC-4 drot...@gmail.com wrote:
For years I have been searching for a geofencing app to automatically turn off volume of phone when I enter a custom GPS mapped area (fence).  For example, When I am working at the hospital, I do not want my personal phone ringing, but as soon as I leave the hospital, I want full volume on my phone.  It frustrating that Apple has "reminders" app that easily  does this function for users, yet the superiors Android platform lacks such a native app, nor is it easily to find or readily available in the play store.  I would gladly pay for this app and pay someone to help me set it up (I've read that this program is very technical and hard to use.  (Ironically, I have NEVER found an iPhone user that has any clue about the awesome geofencing app native to their device, nor even knows what geofencing is = frustrating)  PLEASE HELP = is this the right app for me?

isi...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2022, 10:11:41 AM8/14/22
to Tasker
If you need help setting up geofences with autolocation, you can view this tutorial.

Randall Manaka

Aug 21, 2022, 7:58:12 PM8/21/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Another alternative which is a bit less precise but uses less battery is to use cellular tower detection. You basically set up a profile with a state event "cell near" and then scan for cellular towers in the area. Once you have determined the cell towers in your area you can define an "entry" task that puts your phone in vibrate or whatever you desire and an "exit' task that turns your ringer back on.

I use a profile such as this to turn on Wifi connections when I am at home and turn off Wifi when I leave. I find that I periodically have to scan for new tower connections to detect when I am at home but it doesn't use much more battery than just having the phone turned on!

Like many thinks with Tasker there are several ways to accomplish a scenario.

Good luck!