Communicating with bluetooth

Harry

Oct 13, 2021, 10:19:59 AM10/13/21
to Tasker
I am trying to use Tasker to send messages between 2 phones that do not have WIFI or cell data available. The only other option I see is bluetooth. Is it possible to do this with Tasker possibly with AutoRemote? I looked at AutoRemote and it is not obvious how this could be done.

Any help appreciated.

João Dias

Oct 13, 2021, 10:21:49 AM10/13/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can enable the AutoRemote Bluetooth service with the action in Tasker and then from the other device you can send directly via bluetooth.

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

Harry

Oct 13, 2021, 3:23:22 PM10/13/21
to Tasker
I am able to send a message and have it received when WIFI is on but not when only bluetooth is on.  I need it to work with only bluetooth.

João Dias

Oct 14, 2021, 4:57:38 AM10/14/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Did you enable bluetooth for the receiving device in the main AutoRemote app in the device list of the sending device?

Harry

Oct 14, 2021, 11:11:01 AM10/14/21
to Tasker
Yes I did. Here is a screenshot:

Screenshot_20211014-105506_AutoRemote.jpg

Here is a screenshot of the status of the receiving phone. Sending phone also is in airplane mode with WIFI off. Bluetooth service is not running on the sending phone.

Screenshot_20211014-102219_Tasker.jpg

Here is the devices screen from the sending phone:

Screenshot_20211014-110544_AutoRemote.jpg

I have uninstalled the app on both devices. Cleared the data from Google Drive. Reinstalled the apps and set them up again. Still can't send with bluetooth.

João Dias

Oct 14, 2021, 11:21:30 AM10/14/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Can you please try this in AutoRemote in the sender device:
- clear logs
- enable system logs
- send message
- wait for 1 minute
- export logs from sender and paste them here

Thanks!

Harry

Oct 14, 2021, 2:09:26 PM10/14/21
to Tasker
Here is the log with WIFI off and bluetooth on:

 version 3.1.2

 Source com.android.vending

 OS Build PPR1.180610.011.G955USQU8DUD3

 OS Code 28

 Device SM-G955U

 Manufacturer samsung

 Product dream2qltesq

Out - 2021-10-14 13:57:20.799 - Error sending: Can't connect to the Internet

Out - 2021-10-14 13:57:20.776 - Retrying (4/5)...

Out - 2021-10-14 13:57:10.741 - Retrying (3/5)...

Out - 2021-10-14 13:57:00.702 - Retrying (2/5)...

Out - 2021-10-14 13:56:50.675 - Retrying (1/5)...

Out - 2021-10-14 13:56:27.668 - hasLocalIp true;hasPublicIp false;tryWifiOnOtherNetworks false;ipInSameRangeAsMe false;isInSameRange false;isWifiEnabled true

Here is the log with WIFI and bluetooth enabled, which was successful:

version 3.1.2

 Source com.android.vending

 OS Build PPR1.180610.011.G955USQU8DUD3

 OS Code 28

 Device SM-G955U

 Manufacturer samsung

 Product dream2qltesq

Out - 2021-10-14 14:02:51.819 - Sent Message to S8 New: Text: "hi"

Out - 2021-10-14 14:02:35.203 - hasLocalIp true;hasPublicIp false;tryWifiOnOtherNetworks false;ipInSameRangeAsMe true;isInSameRange true;isWifiEnabled true

João Dias

Oct 15, 2021, 3:49:06 AM10/15/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hhmm, you don't have the Settings > Advanced > Skip BT option enabled do you?

Also, can you please try disabling Wifi for the device in the AutoRemote device list and see if that works?

Harry

Oct 15, 2021, 10:28:50 AM10/15/21
to Tasker
Skip bluetooth is not checked.
No success after diabling WIFI on both phones.

I have been trying to send from "Old" phone to "New" phone.  I tried sending from New to Old. In the log of New it said the message was sent. But there is nothing in the Old phone log as far as receiving and my AutoRemote receive event did not fire. It seems as if bluetooth is being blocked, both in and out, on the Old phone.

Harry

Oct 15, 2021, 10:44:23 AM10/15/21
to Tasker
After I replied to your message I noticed that the AutoRemote message was received by the Old phone it just took a long time. I then tried Old to New and that worked also. It took more than 10 seconds. Is that normal I hoped using bluetooth would be immediate.

ktmom

Oct 16, 2021, 8:44:18 AM10/16/21
to Tasker
My experience with AutoRemote is that even if a service(s) is turned off, it still loops through them.  This takes time.  If you enable Alerts Out in the AutoRemote app on the initiating device, you'll get a toast each time it tries then discards an outbound service.

Harry

Oct 16, 2021, 6:31:51 PM10/16/21
to Tasker
thank you for your input. I tried checking Skip WIFI and that had no effect. It just seems that the communication is slow and somewhat unreliable.

João Dias

Oct 18, 2021, 4:50:53 AM10/18/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Could you please post a log (with system logs enabled) of it working successfully? That log should probably show why it would be slow...

Harry

Oct 18, 2021, 10:19:01 AM10/18/21
to Tasker
Thanks for sticking with me on this. I have decided to go a different route.