unable to launch tasks from Google Assistant

Mike T

Nov 11, 2022, 2:05:37 PM11/11/22
to Tasker
I'm trying to use Google Assistant to launch tasks but it isn't working for me.  If I say to the Assistant "open Tasker" it does so the  Assistant seems to recognize Tasker as an app on the phone.

But when I try to launch a task (for example "run Fred in Tasker" where Fred is a simple test task) instead of running the task it shows me a bunch of results from the web.

Is there some config for the Assistant or Tasker I might be missing?

This is on a Pixel 7 phone with Android 13

Frederick Sarpong

Nov 12, 2022, 3:55:02 PM11/12/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I was facing the same problem until i moved those tasks to the home profile..
If fred is in a custom profile then move it to the home profile..

Rich D

Nov 12, 2022, 4:42:33 PM11/12/22
to Tasker Google Groups Post

I was facing the same problem until i moved those tasks to the home profile..
If fred is in a custom profile then move it to the home profile..

I have seen many posts with this issue however I have never seen that as a fix. Very interesting.... My usual response for this issue is to just try a different Task Name because Google has a hard time deciphering between some task names and some commands.

Frederick Sarpong

Nov 12, 2022, 5:53:16 PM11/12/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Well it worked for me though l...
I guess I changed the task name upon moving...
U re right

D N

Nov 12, 2022, 11:59:01 PM11/12/22
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Try changing "run" to "do".
Make sure there are no other languages in google home/assistant ap except english only.
Try making a "workout" task and see if google assistant will  run that routine.
Try going into google home routines  and make a routine called "workout"  which does the custom command "Do fred in tasker".

If you play around with those things, you might get something to work.
The other thing you could do is use IFTTT   with Google assistant..     to send a text to your phone and have tasker get the text then run the task.

I've had that same problem.. as well as many others.  Google's algorithm is messed up and sometimes it wants to do a search instead of the task. Some words work well with launching, others don't.   LIke my "couch finder" task it wants to do a websearch.. but workout command seems to be recognized and runs tasks.

Mike T

Nov 13, 2022, 8:45:06 PM11/13/22
to Tasker
Danny, using "do" made it work!  I had made a simple task "Fred" for testing because I thought my problem might be the Assistant not recognizing multi-word task names. I figured I couldn't make it simpler than a single word name like "Fred" but it still wasn't working. When I tried "do" I can now invoke all of my tasks (or at least the several I tested).  Thanks for the tip!

Aaron Rodriguez

Nov 22, 2022, 11:52:18 AM11/22/22
to Tasker
I'm having the same problem. Nothing I say to the assistant launches tasks. I've tried "run/open/send/do/set" {taskName} "on/in/with/to" Tasker and I always get search results. I've tried creating routines to run the commands and those also yield search results.

I found a workaround that will let me run a max of 4 tasks from Assistant, but unfortunately I don't think it will work with passing parameters to the tasks:
  1. Open Tasker / Menu / Preferences / "Action" tab
  2. Under "App Shortcut Tasks", add task names to the 4 fields. (By default, these are "Settings", "Run Log", "Task Edit", "Scene Edit")
  3. The tasks can now be launched from Google Assistant by saying just the task name
  4. The tasks also now show up in the menu when long-pressing the Tasker icon in the app drawer

Galaxy Tab S8+
Android: 12
Google Assistant: 0.1.474378801
Tasker: 6.0.10

Aaron Rodriguez

Nov 22, 2022, 12:22:39 PM11/22/22
to Tasker
I forgot step 2.5:
Open Google Assistant Settings / Shortcuts / Tasker. Click + next to each task shortcut to enable it in Assistant

Jon Schewe

Nov 22, 2022, 10:59:05 PM11/22/22
to Aaron Rodriguez, Tasker
Thank you! This appears to have fixed my problem for launching a tasker task inside Waze. It's unfortunate that I can only have the 4, but it seems to work well.