Create Widget or Shortcut - Data blocked...

francwalter

Apr 8, 2024, 11:47:08 AMApr 8
to Tasker
Hallo
I get nearly always a:

Data blocked, please open the main app and
back out of it with the back button and not the
home button.

when I try to create a shortcut or widget in my Launcher (Lightning Launcher, community patched).
This was previously sometimes an issue, but when I opened Tasker and left it with back button, it worked.
Not anymore. Its a bit better, when I use the Exit in the menu and I had to be fast to create my shortcut, but now it is even when I disable Tasker, difficult to create some.
All Profiles disabled, Tasker disabled, exited with Exit in the menu and still I can get this message, if I am not fast enough.
As if Tasker runs in background and blocks the UI.

Any hints how to get rid of this bug?
Thanks.
franks

Tasker 6.3.5-beta on Android 9.0 with Xiaomi Mi A1

Brenden M

Apr 9, 2024, 4:38:09 PMApr 9
to Tasker
Running Android 14 with Pixel 6 Pro, I have noticed this issue off and on with greater or less significance or rate of recurrence for years.

Sometimes a version of Android (I get an update every single month, running totally stock), changes these kinds of events, and for a month I may have more or less trouble adding Tasker Widgets or Shortcuts without the experience you describe. Honestly, the way I have adapted to this issue is always to open Tasker and manually exit as you describe (back button usually has worked for me, not needing the Exit menu option). I do this before trying to add a Widget. Since it is fairly likely I think for Android Security to want some kind of manual interaction between some kinds of reads and writes, I think something like that is happening. Both opening, and clearing "the right way", will allow the Widgets to be created.

For one, most other apps I have ever used have very, very specific, one-setting-or-one-kind-only widgets, where on the other hand, Tasker Widgets are custom linking the Android Launcher to specific code instruction in some way. This connection is a bit complex, so having the message "please open the main app and back out of it...." is the post-attempt warning that is typical. I have found opening the main app and backing out immediately prior in "the same way that works" compared to the post-attempt will have the desired result. Instead of trying to add, failing, opening the app, etc, I just start by opening the app. The iffy-ness of the warning makes pre-empting the error just more straightforward and less... iffy!

Essentially, I think adding the Widget would have to DO that opening the app, and exiting, or something else strange, to allow the system to add Tasker code to the malleable newly formed widget. Getting the user to do so is much more legitimate and easy for the vast majority of use cases, I suspect.. Giving the app a refresh of its memory and connections seems to work most of the time.

João Dias

Apr 10, 2024, 11:08:08 AMApr 10
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, thanks for the report! Can you please try this version? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGuMAWRfyYlUKMdgb4xyVEUfddWz_zzI/view

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

francwalter

Apr 10, 2024, 11:33:24 AMApr 10
to Tasker
joaomgcd schrieb am Mittwoch, 10. April 2024 um 17:08:08 UTC+2:
Hi there, thanks for the report! Can you please try this version? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGuMAWRfyYlUKMdgb4xyVEUfddWz_zzI/view

Is this the 6.3.6-beta? I still have the direct purchased version, and the 6.3.6 is the latest in those (direct purch.) downloads. But I cannot update till the AppFactory is on 6.3.6-beta too, sorry. Need it together.

I noticed, that disabling Tasker is not the sure way to get it working, it is always blocking if there is a Task called (only called, not neccessarily running) before I want to create the new Shortcut/Widget.
E.g.: I have in LL a folder, when I open it, I have an event to call a Tasker Shortcut. In that folder there is another folder, where I want to create as well the call to a Task shortcut when I open that folder (the folder in the folder). So this wont work at all, I cannot create it, Tasker is "blocked".
I have to first delete the first folder's shortcut (event: on open that folder) and first to create the second shortcut in the inner folder, because at the first folder-open-event (which triggers a Task), Tasker is blocked when I try to create the inner folder's event. Even when Tasker isnt running!
So my way to get it done is: first I delete the first folder-open-Task-Shortcut-event, then I open Tasker and Exit, and then I create the second, the inner folder event. After that, I can create the outer folder event (to trigger a Task).

I use Tasker so much, I have many always running profiles with running Tasks etc., that this creates weird bugs :)

I dont know the background, why it is like this, it doesnt seem very logical to me that Tasker could be blocked, when it is disabled, but something must be behind it ;)

Thanks frank

João Dias

Apr 10, 2024, 2:04:16 PMApr 10
to tas...@googlegroups.com

francwalter

Apr 10, 2024, 2:09:42 PMApr 10
to Tasker
OK, installed the 6.3.6-beta (and App Factory) but it does not change things.
Thanks.

francwalter

Apr 23, 2024, 6:32:37 AMApr 23
to Tasker

Now it is working! Great!
Maybe a reboot was neccessary, dont know what changed else.
Thanks!