Minutes from Our Last Meeting on the Porch

Faisal Shennib

Apr 24, 2012, 3:18:31 PM4/24/12
to TAPthirst
It's hailing outside!
tapthirst minutes.doc

LAURA BEACH

Apr 25, 2012, 8:46:25 AM4/25/12
to tapthirst...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

Once again - so sorry I couldn't make the meeting. :(

I've read over the minutes and I've got two questions and one comment.

questions:
did you talk at all about re-applying to saf for funding?
did you talk about becoming an sc working group versus a qpirg working group, or the possibility of being both?

comment:

the eac already strongly advised the admin to go with locally sourced products through companies in non-exclusive contracts. as well as a bunch of other awesome stuff (organic, health-conscious, etc). the main problem is that the admin totally ignored the suggestions. this is where the slogan "what's the use of an advisory committee if you don't take their advice?" came from. this is not to say that we couldn't approach them again, but we'd have to understand that without a huge PR campaign around what they are advising and who they are, their advice would have little impact on decisions made regarding contracts.

one possible in-road with this is roger cote - i've spoken with him informally about the mess that unfolded with the pepsi contract and the recommendations that were ignored and he seems willing to sit down and chat a bit more about it. i'll be around this summer, and next year (though no longer at school) and am happy to try and help things along.

love you all!!!

laura

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Faisal Shennib <env.coo...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's hailing outside!

TAP thirst

May 10, 2012, 8:00:47 AM5/10/12
to tapthirst...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I thought I answered this a while ago- just cleaning up the gmail a bit.

Ok so SAF- I spoke to Jen Davis and Jef Riley a while ago, and it seems to me that we shouldn't re-apply... but I'm definitely willing to keep it a consideration. I'm looking into other funding options with QPIRG's help, so hopefully something will come of that.

As far as becoming a working group of SC instead, I think the main difference is that as a QPIRG working group we're almost guaranteed a working budget, whereas SC is already stretched very thin from what I understand. Being a group working towards sustainability, we can still use SC as a resource, and collaborate with R4 and stuff. So that all being said, I think it's best to re-apply as a working group at QPIRG rather than switching.

I think Faisal and I, and whoever else is interested, are trying to meet with Roger Cote or at least keep in touch with him about enlarging the bottled water ban. I will keep y'all posted.