What's in the new TAP?

George Scharoun

Apr 28, 2015, 2:12:29 PM4/28/15
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm writing from the MFA where we're running a customized version of TAP 1.0, and we're considering an upgrade. My question is about what we gain by moving to the latest version. Is there a summary of changes compiled somewhere that you could send me a link to?

What I'm really hoping for is the ability to share assets between tours because the way our app is structured, we end up with duplicate files on the ipods. For example, we include the English tour videos are also in our ASL tour with captions, which means these files are downloaded twice to every iPod. It means extra work during content entry, longer update times, and an oversized app on the iPods.

I'd love to talk to someone about this, and get some advice about how to improve our platform at the MFA.

Thanks!
George

Technical Producer, Gallery Media
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

Jesse Kochis

Jun 5, 2015, 4:56:35 PM6/5/15
to TAP Discuss
Hey George, were you able to get any help with this?

George Scharoun

Jun 8, 2015, 3:58:35 PM6/8/15
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jesse, thanks for asking, and the answer is noooo. I didn't hear anything from anyone.
Do you know what TAP 2 does? Is it worth trying to upgrade to it?

Jesse Kochis

Jun 9, 2015, 7:46:43 PM6/9/15
to TAP Discuss
I don't think you will see the benefits you're looking to gain by updating to the new version of TAP due to the unique nature of the MFA's deployment, and you might lose a lot of the fancy customization by doing so. Are the duplicate assets the biggest overheard you need to solve or are there other issues as well?