Project Status

Eric Pugh

Mar 19, 2019, 4:36:40 PM3/19/19
to TAP Discuss
Hello,

I just recently came across TAP. (awesome work!)
Unfortunately it seems like the project has been abandoned. I was interested in updating some components, for example updating the tap-cms to Drupal 8, maybe converting TourML to a JSON Schema document, and updating the tap-web-app to a more recent JS framework. That's a lot of stuff even just upgrading the hard work of someone else, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the "status" of this project is. Is anyone still using or actively working on or planning for the project? If not, are there any "lessons learned" the original collaborators could share, or ideas about the best way to potentially refresh a (more modest) version of TAP in keeping with the original spirit of the project?

Thanks,

~Eric

Carlos Mosqueda

Oct 21, 2019, 11:09:37 AM10/21/19
to TAP Discuss
Hi Eric,

I am looking at using this platform too.  The work on it was very well done and probably ahead of it's time at the time (now being 9 years old).  I am actually looking at the possibility of making it run on more of a progressive web app instead of native for more accessibility and a no need to download an actual app, NodeJS for fast loads and some more interactives, for our CMS we are using Umbraco, but any CMS could be used just as long as it can output XML or I really like you idea of the JSON Schema instead.

Right now the Status of the project looks like it fell off and the original organization (Indiapolis Museum of Art) has since rebranded and changed it's name.  Not sure the original developers are even there anymore.

The actual project page is still up on https://code.google.com/archive/p/tap-tours/ , but I don't know if there is an actual GIT repo for it.    Let me know if you are interested in doing anything with this.  I know your response was back in March, did you ever move forward on any of it?

Carlos

Carlos Mosqueda

Oct 21, 2019, 11:12:13 AM10/21/19
to TAP Discuss
I also meant to add, I remember them presenting this at the Museums on the Web in 2010 and I was blown away at the time.  Like I said, ahead of its time.  Now that our devices are just apart of our lives and we know that people would rather use their own devices,  PWAs seem, for me at least, the way to go because they can be extended outside of the museum or organization.   I have a lot more thoughts .

Carlos

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 9:09:37 AM UTC-6, Carlos Mosqueda wrote:
Hi Eric,

I am looking at using this platform too.  The work on it was very well done and probably ahead of it's time at the time (now being 9 years old).  I am actually looking at the possibility of making it run on more of a progressive web app instead of native for more accessibility and a no need to download an actual app, NodeJS for fast loads and some more interactives, for our CMS we are using Umbraco, but any CMS could be used just as long as it can output XML or I really like you idea of the JSON Schema instead.

Right now the Status of the project looks like it fell off and the original organization (Indianapolis Museum of Art) has since rebranded and changed it's name.  Not sure the original developers are even there anymore.

Gautier Michelin

Oct 21, 2019, 11:31:35 AM10/21/19
to TAP Discuss

Dear all,

Yes, quite everything is left out here. For a precise answer on GitHub sources :
- https://github.com/IMAmuseum/tourml : the format, a spec for tour content
- https://github.com/IMAmuseum/tap-ios : the tap iOS app
- https://github.com/IMAmuseum/tap-ipad : the tap iPad app
- https://github.com/IMAmuseum/tap-web-app : the web app
- https://github.com/IMAmuseum/tap-cms : Drupal plugins for authoring

All of those are really old.

I do use for most of my projects https://www.collectiveaccess.org/ (we’ve done some French l18n and some plugins for French museums, but the most part is done by Whirl-i-Gig in NY).
We can edit objects or medias information and link those to tours and tour stops that can be afterwards harvested through web services for mobile apps, whether native or javascript frameworks based).

There are no real project I can tap here for creating a new open source project from tourml specifications :-( I’d love, but not much spare time to go on.
(I tried to develop a side full public project with Titanium framework for Android, but even those are a bit outdated).

Have a look also to Field Guide to Victorian Fauna, an also nice to look open source project : https://museumsvictoria.com.au/apps/field-guide-app-to-victorian-fauna/

Best regards,

Gautier

Cordialement,

Gautier MICHELIN

idéesculture
www.ideesculture.com
5/6 ZAC de la Massonnière
72230 MONCÉ-EN-BELIN

Eric Pugh

Oct 23, 2019, 2:48:10 PM10/23/19
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos/all,

I did some work on this:
I had hoped to create a simple JS app that would consume the tour.json as a demo, but haven't had a chance to get back to this. Anyway, these are all open to suggestions/contribution.

Thanks!
~Eric

Gautier Michelin

Oct 23, 2019, 4:17:31 PM10/23/19
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com

Hi Eric/Carlos/all,

The JSON Schema is a really nice edition, it makes the things easier for JS apps.
I’m trying to encourage a small local museum to develop locally a demo around your JSON Schema, using the Vue.js framework.
Code will be free, open source, under GPL v3 license.

If you are interested, I can post updates here ?

Best regards,

Gautier

Eric Pugh

Oct 24, 2019, 9:09:48 AM10/24/19
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com
@Gautier That sounds great! Let me know, at the very least I can link to your project in the tour.json README.

Eric Pugh

Oct 24, 2019, 9:32:55 AM10/24/19
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com
Also, I've set up a tour.json Slack workspace for anyone who wants to move this conversation away from this group.

~Eric

Silvia Filippini Fantoni

Oct 25, 2019, 9:31:44 AM10/25/19
to tap-d...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

I suggest contacting the Newfields museum - they were the ones managing the project.

Silvia