At The Season's Turning

opland

Nov 11, 2019, 4:18:22 PM11/11/19
to 'opland' via Tania Opland World Music news
Hello to all our far-flung friends!
We’re still racking up mileage, keeping our music rolling along between all the other projects and separations life throws at us. Someday we will have a kitchen in that old house in Ireland. And hopefully before then I will get some more pictures posted for those of you who were following that progress online. Yes, that's gotten a bit behind!

We got a nice note from Dennis and Judy Cook at WOBC (Oberlin College's radio station). They’ll be including Black Sea Dance - that cool Turkish/Rom tune from the CD Hunter’s Moon - in their Glad4Trad program this week. The whole hour will be on the topic of “Named Seas and Lakes.” We’re hoping to tune in online to hear where they go with that. That’s Wednesday, November 13, 3-4pm (eastern US time) at www.wobc.org.

We're about to get FESTIVE: our annual WINTER'S RETURN concerts (William Pint, Felicia Dale, Tania Opland, Mike Freeman) start at the end of November!

Celebrating Winter and all its diverse festivities with voices, guitars, drums, whistles, hammered dulcimer, hurdy-gurdy, recorder, mandolin, violin, and songs that'll bring a bright spot to the darkest winter's day.

(details below)
Sat. Nov 30, 2 - 4 pm - SEATTLE, WA
Sun. Dec 1, 6 pm - EDMONDS, WA
Sat. Dec 7, 7:30pm - PASCO, WA
Fri. Dec 13, 7 pm - SUQUAMISH WA
Sat. Dec 14, 6 pm - CAMANO ISLAND, WA
Sat. Dec 21, 7:30 pm - SEATTLE, WA and ANCHORAGE, AK

Then we come back to Opland-Freeman, Acoustic World Music:
Sat. Jan 4, Hillside House Concert - ANCHORAGE, AK
Feb 21 - March 2: Vancouver Island, BC (details soon)

Sat. Nov 30, 2 - 4 pm - SEATTLE, WA
GREET THE SEASON, on board the Virginia V in Lake Union Park. Maritime Folknet brings you a full day of Free, Live Music aboard the historic steamer Virginia V. There will also be free crafts and other activities.

Sun. Dec 1, 6 pm - EDMONDS, WA
St Albans Episcopal Church, 21405 82nd Place West, Edmonds, WA. Donations of cash or non-perishable food will be collected at the door for Chase Lake Community School’s Safety Net Program.

Sat. Dec 7, 7:30pm - PASCO, WA
Community Unitarian Church, 2819 W Sylvester St., Pasco WA 99301, presented by Three Rivers Folklore Society. $12 - $14

Fri. Dec 13, 7 pm - SUQUAMISH WA
Suquamish Church, 18732 Division Ave NE, SUQUAMISH WA 98392, an open and affirming inter-spiritual community. Presented by Sound Spirit Initiative. Suggested donation $20 at the door. No one will be turned away for lack of funds, but you can reserve a seat by making a $20 advance contribution.

Sat. Dec 14, 6 pm - CAMANO ISLAND, WA
WINTERFEST, Cama Beach Historical State Park  Admission to the concert is free, but a park pass or day pass is required to get there. Dinner will be available for purchase from Cama Beach Café (reservations: 360-387-3266.

Sat. Dec 21, 7:30 pm - SEATTLE, WA and ANCHORAGE, AK
On the last big night of this year's Winter concert season we'll cover a lot of ground, playing two different concerts. William Pint & Felicia Dale celebrate the Solstice at Couth Buzzard Books  8310 Greenwood Ave N, Seattle WA 98103. ($20 suggested donation; no one turned away for lack of funds), while Tania Opland & Mike Freeman play a special Solstice concert in a historic log home in Anchorage Alaska ($25; email for details).

Sat. Jan 3, 7 pm - ANCHORAGE, AK
Start the New Year right with a whirlwind world music house concert. Up on the Hillside, overlooking Anchorage and Cook Inlet (near the Prospect Heights entrance to Chugach State Park). Email for details.

‘Bye for now.