Active Markdown = Tangle-style interactions + a markup syntax

Seth Woodworth

Mar 14, 2013, 11:34:55 AM3/14/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com
http://show-em.net/e8ea079ab0fe444a8c83/

Active Markdown is a combination of Tangle-like interactive documents, and a markup syntax for defining the interactions and relationships between variables.

I did not write this, nor have I seen the source yet.  The author promises it will be on github soon.

I think that this is an exciting next step in seeing more tangle-style interactions.

Bret, do you have any opinions on this author's implementation?  It is limited in scope vs your set of demos for Tangle, but the increased readability is appealing.

--Seth

Matt Ledding

Mar 14, 2013, 11:49:25 AM3/14/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com

Just as a note, it isn't active on my android...

Seth Woodworth

Mar 14, 2013, 12:20:13 PM3/14/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com
Me either.  Does tangle work on mobile browsers? I've never tried it.

Matt Ledding

Mar 14, 2013, 12:24:31 PM3/14/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com

Seth, This.  (A tangle put into a Google form)

Works on my android.
Cheers,
Matt.

Matt Ledding

Mar 14, 2013, 12:25:16 PM3/14/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com

alecp...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2013, 8:49:21 PM3/14/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com, se...@sethish.com
Author here. I‘m really glad to see the positive response this has gotten, given it‘s barely 24 hours old (from conception). I‘ve gotten lots of good feedback that will help make it a useful tool.

Jeremy Ashkenas’s tweet got me thinking about actually crossing this with Tangle, and using Tangle as the interface library for the controls. It does a great job of being unobtrusive yet still functional. Plus it has really helpful things like number formatting utilities. Right now, the sliders are just vanilla jQuery UI because that was the fastest thing to get working besides native <input type="range">, which had its own drawbacks. I’m in the middle of cleaning up the compilation script/repo and will have a basic version public on GitHub hopefully within a few hours. I haven’t used Tangle much, so feedback from this community will be very helpful. I’ll post a link to the repo here when it’s up, and also update the “experiment” writeup.

alecp...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2013, 2:07:51 AM3/15/13
to tangl...@googlegroups.com, se...@sethish.com
Here’s the repo: https://github.com/alecperkins/active-markdown

It’s a cleaned up version of the script used to generate the original document, still using jQuery UI controls. The next steps are to make it a proper package and command, integrate Tangle, and include helpers for math and the graphs.