news.tamu.edu

1 view

Sajedur R Chowdhury

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95

Don't y'all just love our news server? Especially when it crahes...
--
Sajed Chowdhury
saj...@cs.tamu.edu

ALEXANDER, DYLAN FLYNN

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
In article <3turpm$i...@news.tamu.edu>, saj...@cs.tamu.edu (Sajedur R Chowdhury) writes...

}
}Don't y'all just love our news server? Especially when it crahes...

We have a news server? Oh, yeah. I'd almost forgotten about it.

Dylan

Nick Diaz

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
saj...@cs.tamu.edu (Sajedur R Chowdhury) wrote:

>Don't y'all just love our news server? Especially when it crahes...

>--
>Sajed Chowdhury
>saj...@cs.tamu.edu

On that note, does anyone know of any public news servers? Getting
tired of news.tamu.edu for obvious reasons, not to mention the great
lack of groups. Seems like we're only getting 1/4 of the public
groups.

Nick Diaz
(409)693-3879

Chris Barnes

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <3tvmlk$3...@news.tamu.edu>, nsd...@tam2000.tamu.edu says...

What groups do you think you're missing? My news reader is showing 4566
groups, including ALL of the major hierarchies, the alt groups, and all of
the appropriate regional groups.

Of course, if you like paying for service, you could subscribe to BIHS (but
I don't think they carry anything we don't - well maybe clarinet).

Chris Barnes (409) 846-3273 (home)
chris-...@tamu.edu (409) 845-9520 (work)
http://tamvm1.tamu.edu/~cbarnes/

Money can't buy happiness; but neither can poverty.

Pinokio

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
In article <11JUL199...@vms1.tamu.edu>,

ALEXANDER, DYLAN FLYNN <dfa...@vms1.tamu.edu> wrote:
>In article <3turpm$i...@news.tamu.edu>, saj...@cs.tamu.edu (Sajedur R Chowdhury) writes...
>}
>}Don't y'all just love our news server? Especially when it crahes...
>
>We have a news server? Oh, yeah. I'd almost forgotten about it.

What ???!!!! Does news have server too ? =)

Pinokio
<There is disturbance in the Force... Newton found the 1st Law>

Nick Diaz

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
chris-...@tamu.edu (Chris Barnes) wrote:

>In article <3tvmlk$3...@news.tamu.edu>, nsd...@tam2000.tamu.edu says...

>>On that note, does anyone know of any public news servers? Getting
>>tired of news.tamu.edu for obvious reasons, not to mention the great
>>lack of groups. Seems like we're only getting 1/4 of the public
>>groups.

>What groups do you think you're missing? My news reader is showing 4566
>groups, including ALL of the major hierarchies, the alt groups, and all of
>the appropriate regional groups.

>Of course, if you like paying for service, you could subscribe to BIHS (but
>I don't think they carry anything we don't - well maybe clarinet).

I believe BIHS has the same newsfeeds tamu does.

Nick Diaz
(409)693-3879

Trey Nash

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
chris-...@tamu.edu (Chris Barnes) wrote:

>What groups do you think you're missing? My news reader is showing 4566
>groups, including ALL of the major hierarchies, the alt groups, and all of
>the appropriate regional groups.

Well, I can't tell you what groups we are missing because that would take too
much time and effort, not too mention, the message length would probably bog
down our server.

Let me say this though...

I went to Dallas just recently to visit what used to be home. A friend of mine
has an internet setup through Connection Technologies. He gets 28.8k
commection, never a busy tone, nice news server, WWW space, etc., etc. He gets
all this for about $28 a month. We jumped on his news server and it had around
7100, yes I said 7100, news groups.

On top of that..... If you went to a group for the first time and it said that
there were 4500 unread messages, the server had 4500 unread messages. Not
here.... the expiration date is too short.

What we need for our server is some serious drive space so that we can have all
of the USENET groups. That's the bottom line.

>Of course, if you like paying for service, you could subscribe to BIHS (but
>I don't think they carry anything we don't - well maybe clarinet).

Butch Kemper is very restrictive in some cases. Many groups are blocked for
moral reasons. I have been told from a subscriber to Myriad that if they don't
have a group that you want, just ask. They will get it. You might also check
out CyberCom. I don't know anyone personally that has their service though, so
I cannot comment.

-Trey

| Trey Nash | "Dammit boy! You couldn't |
| Career Student | sell a dollar for fifty |
| Texas A&M University | cents." -Anderson |
| tn...@eesun1.tamu.edu |
| http://not.quite.yet/ |

Erich Schneider

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
There's a public news server on nyx.cs.du.edu, which is accessible by
telnetting in, logging in as "guest", then selecting options "qa"
and "n". Unfortunately, the interface is pretty clunky.
--
Erich Schneider er...@bush.cs.tamu.edu http://bush.cs.tamu.edu/~erich

"Today/Yes Winners/Yes Losers/Yes In the Zone/Yes Tomorrow/No"
- Walter Jon Williams, _HardWired_

Christopher Cherry

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
As regards to news.tamu.edu not having a multitude of groups,
over 4000 is more that I can read in a day. Heck, I only
read a few.

I have found that if there is a group you'd like to see, and it's not
here, that they (whoever "they" are) will get it. I think the email is
ne...@tamu.edu, but I'm sure somebody can help me out with this.

Do we really *need* ALL the groups? like rec.dogfood.throwing.yogurt.canners?
I don't think so. If you need a group, or a list of groups, that you'd
read, perhaps someone could look into getting those, and not necessarily
all groups.

-chris c.

--
c-ch...@tamu.edu |Death cannot stop True Love.
Linux: It's not just for |All it can do is delay it for a while.

Michael Hand

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <3u9ava$3...@news.tamu.edu>, Cherry wrote:

> Last time I checked, Texas A&M University exists for the students.
> That is its entire purpose...

I wonder -- has education at TAMU become so worthless that most
TAMU grads rest easy with this view, unable to pursue the issue
further? (Is the view obviously stupid, or do I need some chocolate?)

One Law for the Lion and Ox is Oppression -- Blake
Michael Hand (409)845-5660, fax (409)845-0458
Philosophy Dept, Texas A&M Univ, College Station TX 77843-4237 USA
ha...@tam2000.tamu.edu mh...@tamu.edu

Colin F. Allen

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
Michael Hand <ha...@tam2000.tamu.edu> wrote:
>In article <3u9ava$3...@news.tamu.edu>, Cherry wrote:
>
> > Last time I checked, Texas A&M University exists for the students.
> > That is its entire purpose...
>
>I wonder -- has education at TAMU become so worthless that most
>TAMU grads rest easy with this view, unable to pursue the issue
>further? (Is the view obviously stupid, or do I need some chocolate?)

Chocolate is always good, but the view is stupid and false. The TAMU
mission statement clearly mentions the multiple goals of teaching,
research and service. A&M never had the sole purpose of existing for
its students so I doubt that Cherry checked at all. Which would make
him (her?) not only stupid but a liar.

--
Colin Allen
colin...@tamu.edu

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Christopher Cherry

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
This message posted by me was taken out of context. It was in a reply
on tamu.news to someone posting from Brazos Information Services on
how news.tamu should carry a multitude of groups, etc.

I should have had a little chocolate myself before posting that, and
written:

Texas A&M University exists for "teaching, research, and
service". The news server exists partly because student's
computer fees pay for it, and is primarily for the use of
students,faculty, and staff in their endeavors of "teaching,
research, and service." I would rather my fees go
somewhere where they will benefit the students of
tamu, as well as the "teachers, researchers, and service
people. They should not go to supply a huge amount of
obscure groups to people at private sites.

Is that better?

-chris c.

Colin F. Allen (co...@tam2000.tamu.edu) wrote:

: --
: Colin Allen
: colin...@tamu.edu

Florence Fillion

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
Christopher Cherry (c...@moor-160.dorms.tamu.edu) wrote:
[...]

oh sorry, my mistake. i guess this discussion is reserved
*exclusively* to people *closely* related to TAMU. and it is obvious
(for you at least) that since i am posting from BIHS, i have no right
to the discussion, great. this is getting better every time you post
something.

looks like i need some mondo amounts of chocolate....

--florence

ps: btw, in case you did not know this symbol ":)" is a
smiley.. (this is relative to your (previous answer) to my previous
posting)

----
my employer knows nothing of my opinions.

Ted Rohling

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
Chris Barnes (chris-...@tamu.edu) wrote:
: In article <3tvmlk$3...@news.tamu.edu>, nsd...@tam2000.tamu.edu says...
: >
: >saj...@cs.tamu.edu (Sajedur R Chowdhury) wrote:
: >
: >
: >>Don't y'all just love our news server? Especially when it crahes...
: >>--
: >>Sajed Chowdhury
: >>saj...@cs.tamu.edu
: >

: ------------------------------------------------------------------

:
: Money can't buy happiness; but neither can poverty.

:

I cannot add much to the afore listed discussion except to quote the Pope
who recently said

"No nudes is good nudes"

or the New York Times whose banner reads

"All the nudes that fit to print"

or Duke Nukum who said

"Nude them till they glow"

--