Looking to relocate to Tampa

Benjamin Mittler

Feb 8, 2017, 5:43:27 PM2/8/17
to Tampa Bay GIS User Group

Hi all!

My name is Benjamin Mittler and I am currently a GIS Analyst working for the Department of Environmental Protection providing GIS support to a number of different water quality groups. I have been trying to relocate to the Tampa region for some time now but have been unsuccessful at finding a new position.  I was wondering if any of you had any advice on trying to secure a GIS Analyst position in the Tampa Region, it would be greatly appreciated.

About Me:

I was first introduced to the concept of GIS while obtaining my Master’s Degree in Aquatic Environmental Science and quickly realized that GIS was a field I could be passionate about. Since graduation I have spent the last three years as a GIS analyst with Florida Department of Environmental Protection, supporting water quality groups within the Division of Environmental Assessment and Restoration.   Some of my general responsibilities currently include; map creation, data creation and editing including metadata, spatial analysis, interactive map creation using ArcGIS Online, data management, and model development using Python or ModelBuilder.

Over the last two years I have taught myself how to use python in order to create modeling tools, data management tools, as well as a few add-in’s. Additionally, I’m in the process of teaching myself the basics of HTML and JavaScript in order to take advantage of the ArcGIS JavaScript API. I’ve been interested in learning more about the ArcSDE/ ArcGIS for Server/ ArcGIS Portal side of GIS but since my current organization keeps GIS SDE/Server team separate from Analysis this has proved difficult.

Thanks!