Tameside Family History Discussion Board

GayJ

Nov 8, 2008, 12:08:35 PM11/8/08
to Tameside Family History
The Group I set up via Google Groups on my Tameside Family History
website proved too difficult for people to join and to participate in
any discussions and I must admit I found it rather clunky.
Potentially a good idea, but not intuitive enough in its operation.

As an alternative:

I have just set up this message board on the Tameside Local and Family
History web page

It does not replace any other part of the website nor the website
itself. It is a method of allowing exchange of information. It is open
to all.

It will be ‘moderated’ but not censored.

I suggest you initially look at it without logging in. You will be
able to access all the areas you can see. The only thing you cannot do
is reply to any postings - ie it is basically a read-only forum.

It becomes a two-way forum when you register. To make your own
postings to the forum you will need to register a username and
password - you will also be asked for an email address. Once you have
registered you will be able to modify your personal profile by
clicking the Profile tab on the main menu, near the top of the page.
You will also see that there is a Help tab which contains some basic
help information - I suggest you have a look at this.

There are sections where you can post your research enquiries so that
other users can see them and hopefully help you. The Tameside Local
and Family History website does not provide a research service, but
can often provide pointers and answer single questions. There are lots
of guides to different topics elsewhere on the website.

Unless you allow your email address to be seen by others it will be
hidden from everyone except the Forum Administrator.

If you want to send someone a personal reply to a posting you can send
them a Personal Message via the Forum. You do not need to know their
email address and indeed if they reply via the Personal Message system
you will not know it. Any new Personal Messages will be notified to
you at the email address you have given and be available via the menu
at the top.

The forum is at:

http://tamesidehistory.proboards.com