The Gate of the Year

Rowland Croucher

Dec 31, 2002, 4:34:06 PM12/31/02
Today's offering on the clergy/leaders' mail-list. Why not join? (Details
below)

--

Shalom - and Happy New Year!

Rowland Croucher

http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm
(8500+ articles)

~~~

Clergy/Leaders' Mail-list No. 3-001 (Practical Christian Living)

THE GATE OF THE YEAR

by Ron Clarke

"And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, 'Give me
a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.' And he replied:
'Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known
way.'"

Those words come from a poem entitled 'God Knows' written by Miss
Minnie Louise Haskins in Bristol, England in 1908, revived by King
George 6th in a broadcast he made during the darkest days of World
War 2.

There have always been dark times. Almost three thousand years ago
the nation of Israel was going through a time of great moral and
spiritual darkness. The future was bleak, depression was rife and
restlessness and despair gripped many. Yet God spoke a message of
hope to His people: 'The people walking in darkness have seen a
great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a
light has dawned...For to us a child is born, to us a Son is
given...And He will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace'. (Isaiah 9:6)

Centuries have passed and once again the situation is black,
perhaps even blacker than before. The world has changed, violence
is rife, revolutionary groups are spreading terror, there is the
threat of war. Yet God's message of hope rings out: 'The rising
sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in
darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the
path of peace.' (Luke 1:78,79).

The gate of the year. Today we commence a New Year. Many people
at this time will be thinking about new year resolutions, usually
based on a realisation that some aspects of their life currently
require change. The trouble with new year resolutions is that we
rarely, if ever, carry them through. If we are going to base our
walk through life on ill-kept resolutions, then that life will lack
purpose and direction.

It's good to look on the start of a new year as a gate. A gate is
something we have to pass through with an intent, an intent to move
on to somewhere or to something else. So what is important? If we
analyse our day-to-day existence there are perhaps two things
before us - two things that demand our attention. One is time, and
the other are relationships.

Prioritise your time and your life will assume a very special
quality. Forget those trivial resolutions of doing this or giving
up that - just think of time and relationships. Cultivate your
relationships, particularly within your family, and your life will
develop a very special meaning. Learn to trust God because He is
our shepherd and we shall not want. Jesus came that we should have
life and have it abundantly (John 10:10).

And surround your time and your family with the love of God and
this New Year and thereafter will be to you better than light and
safer than a known way.

May your New Year reflect the glory of God.

Bible reading: Psalm 73.

- Pastor Ron Clarke JP (Mark 16:15) <r...@pastornet.net.au>

This is one of a series of weekly messages of encouragement, now in
its eighth year, originating from Kingborough, near Hobart,
Tasmania, Australia. To subscribe direct, send an e-mail with the
words 'subscribe word'.

<www.pastornet.net.au/word4week>

Submissions welcome: <cle...@pastornet.net.au>
(in DOS ASCII Text format please if 'attached' or 'imported')

with SUBJECT reading SUBSCRIBE

with SUBJECT reading UNSUBSCRIBE

Copyright: Postings may be re-sent ONLY with all copyright
notifications intact.