Pray!

Rowland Croucher

May 27, 2002, 4:02:27 PM5/27/02
From: <keston.i...@keston.org>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 8:00 PM
Subject: KNS UZBEKISTAN: "No preaching in Uzbek," minority faiths told

KESTON INSTITUTE, OXFORD, UK
______________________________________

KESTON NEWS SERVICE: 11.00, 27 May 2002
Reporting on violations of religious liberty and on religion in
communist and post-communist lands.
______________________________________

UZBEKISTAN: MINORITY FAITHS BARRED FROM
PREACHING IN UZBEK. "Actions have recently been resumed in
Uzbekistan which could soon lead to a significant restriction on
religious freedom in our country," an open letter from Protestant
Christians in Uzbekistan complains. It cites a number of events in
recent weeks, including a senior religious affairs official's demand
that churches stop preaching in Uzbek (the country's state language)
and the detention of eighteen Christians following an investigation
into the sources of Christian literature in Central Asian languages. The
chairman of the Bible Society of Uzbekistan told Keston News
Service it was "impossible to rule out the possibility that the
authorities are beginning a campaign against Protestant communities
in the republic."

UZBEKISTAN: MINORITY FAITHS BARRED FROM
PREACHING IN UZBEK

by Igor Rotar, Keston News Service

"Actions have recently been resumed in Uzbekistan which could soon
lead to a significant restriction on religious freedom in our country,"
complained an open letter from the press-officer of the Evangelical
Christians/Baptists of Uzbekistan Dmitri Pitirimov, received by
Keston News Service on 22 May. It cited a number of events in recent
weeks: the Tashkent-based head of the Full Gospel church, Bishop
Sergei Nechitailo, was summoned to the Committee for Religious
Affairs, where the deputy chairman of the committee, Shoazim
Minovarov, demanded that his denomination's churches stop
preaching in Uzbek (the country's state language). Eighteen
Christians, including two foreigners, were detained in the western
Uzbek city of Nukus following an investigation into the sources of
Christian literature in Central Asian languages. They were accused of
holding a seminar unlawfully. Pravda Vostoka, an official state
newspaper, published an article on 8 May based on an interview with
Metropolitan Vladimir (Ikim), head of the Orthodox Church in Central
Asia, who spoke out strongly against the spread of Protestantism in
Uzbekistan. "The substance of this article demonstrates clearly that a
course of action has been taken to toughen religious policy on the
rapidly-growing Evangelical Christian movements," the Baptist press
officer's letter declared. "Please give maximum publicity to these
documents."

Speaking to Keston in Tashkent by telephone on 22 May, one Full
Gospel church leader, who asked to remain anonymous, confirmed
Pitirimov's report, although he expressed dissatisfaction that "a
representative of another confession should talk about the problems of
our church".

Minovarov has made no attempt to deny his instruction. "I confirm the
report that we advised Nechitailo to stop preaching in the Uzbek
language, and also that we asked him not to distribute Uzbek-language
religious literature from the Church of Christians of the Full Gospel,"
he told Keston by telephone on 22 May. "The fact is that there has
been a large number of complaints about the Church of Christians of
the Full Gospel of Uzbekistan from residents in the mahalla [city
sector] where it is based. People have expressed concern that members
of the church are trying to persuade Uzbeks to turn away from Islam
and convert to their religion." Minovarov volunteered that a similar
request was made to the Jehovah's Witnesses. "Members of the
Jehovah's Witnesses have been going to people's homes, trying to
preach their beliefs. You must understand that such behaviour is
unthinkable according to Uzbek tradition. For example, an Uzbek
cannot go even to his brother's house if there is no man in the
household at the time."

Asked by Keston whether there is a law in Uzbekistan that forbids the
preaching of Christianity in the Uzbek language, Minovarov replied:
"According to the law on religion 'actions intended to convert
believers of one confession to another (proselytism and also any other
missionary activity)' are forbidden. The actions of the Christians of
the Full Gospel and of the Jehovah's Witnesses constituted
proselytism."

Minovarov added that he "knew nothing" about the incident in Nukus,
although a duty officer at Nukus police station had confirmed to
Keston on 14 May that a group of Protestants had been detained.
However, he had declined to discuss the detentions in detail, adding
only that they were "not citizens of Uzbekistan".

"We are very concerned about recent events," the chairman of the
Tashkent-based Bible Society of Uzbekistan, Sergei Mitin, told
Keston by telephone. "It is impossible to rule out the possibility that
the authorities are beginning a campaign against Protestant
communities in the republic." (END)

Copyright (c) 2002 Keston Institute. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to the free weekly KNS Summary, or to the almost daily
Keston News Service, through our website http://www.keston.org/
where donations may also be made. KNS articles are posted on the
website, as well as details of our other publications: the bimonthly
magazine Frontier and the quarterly academic journal Religion, State
& Society.
______________________________________

REPRINTING/QUOTING
KNS may be reprinted or quoted providing acknowledgment is given,
such as "Source: Keston Institute http://www.keston.org". We would
appreciate receiving a copy of any publication which quotes KNS.

--

Shalom! Rowland Croucher
http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm

Rowland Croucher

May 28, 2002, 1:16:40 AM5/28/02
May 28, 2002, 3:35:57 PM5/28/02
May 28, 2002, 9:02:33 PM5/28/02
SOURCE: KESTON INSTITUTE
http://www.keston.org

May 29, 2002, 3:02:23 AM5/29/02
May 29, 2002, 3:57:45 PM5/29/02
Religious Liberty Prayer List - No. 170 - Wed 29 May 2002

WELCOME to the 20 intercessors who have joined the list this month.

--------------------------------------

DURING MAY WE HAVE PRAYED CONCERNING -

INDONESIA: AMBON, MALUKU, where an Islamic massacre of Christians
in the village of Soya, flying in the face of the Malino Peace
Accord, threatened to unravel the tentative peace. In an
unprecedented turn of events, the head of the Laskar Jihad, Jafar
Umar Thalib, was arrested and detained in Jakarta. The separatist
Maluku Sovereignty Front (FKM) has been disbanded and their
leader, Alex Manuputty, was arrested in mid April.

* UPDATE: In a highly controversial and very political move,
Indonesian Vice President Hamzah Haz visited the imprisoned
leader of the Laskar Jihad, Jafar Umar Thalib, citing Muslim
solidarity. Haz, a personal friend of Thalib, was possibly also
courting the ever increasing number of Indonesian hardline
Muslims voters. The Chief Security Minister issued a government
directive, effective from 8 May, to remove the Laskar Jihad from
Maluku. Local security personnel in Maluku have already launched
door-to-door raids to disarm militias and their supporters.

* Pray that God will continue to move in judgement over Maluku,
removing the Laskar Jihad and mercifully granting peace to his
Church that has suffered so much terror and so much loss.

SOUTHERN SUDAN, UGANDA AND THE CURSE OF THE LRA: The Catholic
Church in Southern Sudan issued an urgent plea for rescue from
the terror being perpetrated by the blasphemous, terrorist
cult-militia, the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA). The LRA have
murdered more than 800 civilians in recent weeks, in the most
heinous ways imaginable, and they do this using our Lord's name.
The Ugandan Army is pursuing them - pray for victory, for an end
to the LRA.

TURKMENISTAN: where three believers, Murad, Jamilya and Nurmurad,
are in hiding, being hunted by the KNB (the former KGB) for the
'crime' of refusing to renounce their faith. Pray that the
international community will have a raised awareness of the
tyranny in Turkmenistan and that President Niyazov's
dictatorship will end.

Past RLPs may be viewed at
http://www.evangelicalalliance.org.au/rlc/postings

ALSO IN MAY -

SAUDI ARABIA: ETHIOPIAN BELIEVERS ARRESTED

According to church reports from Ethiopia, nine Ethiopian
Christians in Saudi Arabia were arrested at worship on 10 May, and
another the next day. On 15 May, all ten detained believers were
transferred to the Breman Terhil prison. The church in Ethiopia
heard that two of those arrested were bound and severely beaten in
this deportation prison. The most recent news from the Ethiopian
Church is, 'One (believer) is deported, two seriously beaten and
the rest we don't know where they have been taken.' Pray for
protection for the detained Ethiopian believers. Pray for all
Christians in Saudi Arabia.

CHINA / NORTH KOREA: ASYLUM SEEKERS

In recent weeks, North Korean refugees in hiding in China have
sought asylum in various embassies in China, which has drawn
international attention to the tragedy of North Korea. The Chinese
government has responded by cracking down on people who shelter and
care for North Korean refugees. This includes Korean-Chinese
Christians who live along the China / North Korea border. The Korea
Times reports that over 100 South Korean missionaries have been
arrested in recent months. One of those held is a Korean-American
missionary, Joseph Choi (47). He was detained on 9 May, along with
14 of the 38 North Korean children housed by his "Small Angel's
House" organisation. Pray for God to sustain and protect the
arrested missionaries, and pray for the nation of North Korea.

AFGHANISTAN: SELECTIVE FREEDOMS

A new press law issued by the interim government of Afghanistan is
being hailed as a sign of new freedom. Around 100 publications have
obtained permits to publish, with nearly a dozen of them being
devoted to women's issues. Religion, however, is still a taboo
subject. One clause of the law (which is based on the 1964
Constitution) bans coverage of 'subjects that could offend Islam',
'subjects that could dishonour the people' or 'subjects that could
weaken the army of Afghanistan'. Anything that threatens 'the
integrity of Afghanistan' is forbidden. One magazine's application
for a permit to publish was rejected because religion was listed
among its topics of interest. Please pray for God to be merciful to
the people of Afghanistan and grant them access to the Gospel
through increased freedoms.

Please pray, 'For nothing is impossible with God.' Luke 1:37

Previous RLPs may be viewed at
http://www.evangelicalalliance.org.au/rlc/
If you downloaded this message from a website or it
was forwarded to you, you may receive future editions
by sending an empty e-mail to <join-rl...@xc.org>

Please send this RLP to others, with attribution to
World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) Religious Liberty
Prayer List <rl-p...@crossnet.org.au>

The WEA Religious Liberty Commission sponsors this
RL Prayer List to help individuals and groups pray
specifically and regularly for religious liberty
issues, and in particular to uphold the Church
where it is suffering persecution.

Rowland Croucher

May 30, 2002, 8:18:13 PM5/30/02
Today's News Headlines:

U.S. OFFERS REWARD FOR MISSIONARIES' KIDNAPPERS IN PHILIPPINES
CHURCHES URGE RESTRAINT AS INDIA-PAKISTAN TENSIONS MOUNT
COLOMBIAN BELIEVERS BRACE FOR VIOLENCE FOLLOWING ELECTION
FREAK ACCIDENT KILLS YOUNG INNER-CITY MISSIONARY IN FLORIDA
CHRISTIANITY BOOMS AMONG MALAYSIA'S TRIBAL PEOPLES
10-YEAR PROJECT TO UPDATE HINDI BIBLE TRANSLATION BEGINS

Today's News Stories:

U.S. OFFERS REWARD FOR MISSIONARIES' KIDNAPPERS IN PHILIPPINES
The U.S. government Wednesday offered a reward of up to $5 million for
the capture of leaders of a Philippine Muslim extremist group that
kidnapped an American missionary couple, the Associated Press
reported. U.S. Ambassador Francis Ricciardone said the reward is for
any or all of five leaders of the Abu Sayyaf group that abducted
missionaries Martin and Gracia Burnham and Filipino nurse Deborah Yap
on May 27, 2001. "We believe that ordinary citizens of the Philippines
and elsewhere may have the information that can help bring the Abu
Sayyaf terrorists to justice," said Ricciardone, who appealed to
tipsters to call an embassy hotline or a toll-free number in the U.S.
Meanwhile, Martin Burnham's parents made a plea Monday for the release
of the Wichita, Kan., missionaries who have served with New Tribes
Mission (NTM) in the Philippines since 1985. "We appeal to the Abu
Sayyaf to . . . release these innocent victims," said Paul Burnham in
a radio address aired in the Philippines. In an e-mail prayer update,
NTM requested continued prayer for the Burnhams whose 19th wedding
anniversary was on Tuesday. (Charisma News Service)

CHURCHES URGE RESTRAINT AS INDIA-PAKISTAN TENSIONS MOUNT
Major church groups in India are calling for restraint as the threat
of war with Pakistan looms, reports Ecumenical News International. The
National Council of Churches in India issued a statement on May 25
urging the nations to "use wisdom and avoid the danger of starting a
nuclear war where both the countries will be losers. . . . The logic
of peace through war is not credible and is to be rejected. . . . War
rhetoric is not an alternative for true patriotism which enhances
peace in the country and assures protection and safety for its
citizens." India and Pakistan have fought two wars over Kashmir since
the partition of the Indian subcontinent into Hindu-majority India and
Muslim-majority Pakistan. Kashmir has been divided between the two
countries since the end of the first Indo-Pakistan war in 1949.
Tension has been building since May 14 when a military camp in the
Indian-controlled section of Kashmir was attacked, leaving dozens
dead--mostly women and children. India blamed the violence on
Pakistani infiltrators. During an emergency three-day trip to Kashmir
last week, Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee and Defense
Minister George Fernandes exhorted soldiers to be prepared for a
"final and decisive" war with Pakistan. (Council for World Mission)

COLOMBIAN BELIEVERS BRACE FOR VIOLENCE FOLLOWING ELECTION
Alvaro Uribe Velez was elected president of Colombia on May 27,
capturing a majority on the first ballot after pledging an all-out
military campaign against the country's two leftist rebel groups. In
his victory speech, Uribe said he would seek international support in
a bid to reopen peace contacts with "groups outside the law,"
referring to both the rebels and right-wing paramilitary units loyal
to the government. But he said peace talks would not begin unless the
groups agree to a cease-fire and stop kidnapping civilians for
ransom--an unlikely scenario. Evangelical Christians have often been
caught in the middle of the conflict. Last month rebel forces closed
down 11 churches in the town of Araquita, claiming that church leaders
were supporting Uribe's election bid despite statements from the
pastors that they refused to be involved in politics. With Uribe's
victory, there are concerns about increased violence throughout
Colombia. Glenn Penner, communications officer for Voice of the
Martyrs in Canada, said, "It is obvious that the peace negotiations
initiated by the past president failed to bring peace to Colombia.
While we hope that the new president will be able to bring the rule of
law to the country, we sincerely hope that Christians in
rebel-controlled areas will not be adversely affected by either rebel
bands or paramilitary units. Often Christians have been caught in the
middle of this civil war as both sides demand absolute loyalty."
(Voice of the Martyrs)

FREAK ACCIDENT KILLS YOUNG INNER-CITY MISSIONARY IN FLORIDA
A young missionary with a lauded Tampa, Fla., inner-city ministry was
killed in a freak accident Friday, May 24. Jason Butler, 20, was
practicing flips on an inflatable bounce house for an upcoming block
party when he struck his head, breaking his neck. "The doctor said he
died instantly," said David Craver, who along with five other young
people moved into a former crack house in a Tampa-area neighborhood in
September 2000 to start the Tampa Bay Dream Center. "You just don't
expect something like this to happen," Craver said. "He died on the
mission field, doing what he loved to do-reaching out to children and
winning people for Christ." The organization's summer inner-city
missions program, which starts Monday, will be dedicated in Butler's
honor. About 300 young missionaries from across the country will take
part in outreaches such as block parties, repairing homes and
mentoring children. A memorial service for Butler, who grew up in the
Bahamas, is set for Saturday. (Charisma News Service)

CHRISTIANITY BOOMS AMONG MALAYSIA'S TRIBAL PEOPLES
Christianity is growing fastest among Malaysia's tribal people with
the largest indigenous church having more than 500,000 members, says
Andrew Siew, executive secretary of the Presbyterian Church in
Malaysia. Borneo Gospel Mission started in the eastern peninsula of
Malaysia, on the island of Borneo, before sending missionaries to
Malaysia's western peninsula in 1994. Eastern Malaysia is less
developed than the western part and is inhabited by many tribal
peoples with animist beliefs. The western peninsula consists mainly of
Malays who are predominantly Muslim. The Presbyterian Church is also
evangelizing tribal peoples. This outreach started 10 years ago when
tribal people began moving to the western peninsula (where the
Presbyterian Church is based) to find work. Presbyterian minister Rev.
Wong Fong Yang says: "The Iban people we work with used to be fierce
headhunters. Now they're fierce evangelists, although they're not as
good at discipleship! The gospel has transformed them." (Council for
World Mission)

10-YEAR PROJECT TO UPDATE HINDI BIBLE TRANSLATION BEGINS
The International Bible Society (IBS) is working on an updated Bible
translation in Hindi, a language spoken by more than 600 million
people across India. "The translation that's pretty commonly accepted
by Hindi Christians is about 150 years old," says Steve Johnson of
IBS. "So there's an incredible opportunity to reach these people with
God's Word in their contemporary Hindi idiom." The project is
estimated to last 10 years and cost $2 million to complete. (Mission
Network News)

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
James A. Ferrier
HCJB World Radio
U.S. Ministries
Communications Director
E-mail: jfer...@hcjb.org
Web: http://www.hcjb.org

http://www.beyondthecall.org

Rowland Croucher

May 30, 2002, 8:22:16 PM5/30/02
Jun 1, 2002, 3:31:15 AM6/1/02
Jun 2, 2002, 9:07:34 PM6/2/02
Attack in Sudan: Eyewitness report

International Christian Concern . www.persecution.org .
c...@persecution.org . (301) 989-1708

Aid Worker Provides Eyewitness Account of Attack in Sudan

(Washington, DC - May 31, 2002) After making six trips to Southern Sudan,
this past week will never leave my mind. I've seen the conditions that the
Sudanese must live in, some of the most extreme conditions on the face of
the earth. I've seen people forced to drink water that was black! I have
heard countless times the stories of those surviving attacks from militia,
helicopter gunships and the Antanov bombers. I thought I had witnessed
nearly everything of what these precious people have to endure - until the
early morning hours of May 22, 2002.

Our team (comprised of members from International Christian Concern and
Faith in Action) was camping in a village called Rier. The previous day we
had delivered crisis relief aid to this severely impoverished area that had
been declared by the Government of Sudan (GOS) as a "No-GO" zone - off
limits to all United Nations relief agencies and the International Red
Cross. These people needed help. We were determined to do just that. We
delivered food, medical supplies, shovels, and other essential items.

It was 2:00 in the morning when suddenly we were awakened from the
frightening sound of a Russian Antanov bomber. It flew directly overhead at
about 1500 feet. The plane was not visible, for its lights were not
displayed in order to evade ground fire. The deafening sound of the plane's
engines caused me to bolt up from a dead sleep. Before we realized it, the
plane had passed us and was heading in the direction of where fighting had
taken place the day before. I am told that if a plane is flying that close
to the ground you usually can't hear it approaching until it is right on top
of you. I found this to be horribly true. Approximately 4-5 minutes after
the plane passed overhead we could see the huge flashes of light as the
plane dropped around 16 bombs. The flashes lit up the night sky - and then
came the sounds of the explosions. I thought this was an attack on the
positions of the SPLA who had battled the GOS the prior afternoon in this
area. Never had I been so wrong! Sleep the rest of the night was all but
impossible.

Shortly before daybreak we headed out towards the direction of the bombing
with a contingent of SPLA soldiers acting as guards for us. We were very
close to GOS positions at this time. What we saw was a living nightmare.
Things I had never before thought I would see. We met waves of people
carrying out wounded survivors of the attack. What the bombs did to human
beings is indescribable. We saw people with arms and legs severed by the
shrapnel; one man had his right arm hanging on by an approximately 4-inch
piece of skin. The inside of his arm had the bones and most of the tissue
ripped out from his shoulder to somewhere just past his elbow. The man was
in obvious shock; however, he was walking under his own strength, holding
what remained of his arm against his side to prevent it from swinging as he
moved. He had to walk about 5 miles back to the area of our camp to receive
help. How he would get that help was beyond my comprehension. I would
estimate that we saw at least three-dozen people walking or being carried
back to our camp. One particular boy haunts me. He was about 14 yrs old.
This boy had either a piece of metal or a gunshot wound that had entered the
left side of his head. There was no exit wound. His face was completely
swollen and he was completely delirious. This boy was being carried on the
shoulders of an adult. He obviously would not make it to the end of the day.
He was covered with dried blood down the front of his shirt.

Since the position of the GOS forces was unclear, we were advised not to go
all the way to the sight of the bombing. We were the first in the area and
the SPLA was trying to get damage reports. It wasn't until later that day
that we learned that the GOS had not attacked the SPLA positions but rather
attacked a civilian village. After all I've seen in Sudan, this was the
worst! The immediate aftermath of an attack is horrible, especially because
these poor people have no access to medical help and there is a severe
shortage of bandages or anything else that could be used as field dressings.

Upon returning to Nairobi on May 24, I saw an article in the East African
Times, which told accurately of the attack. What enraged me was the article
actually said the GOS denied the attack. This angered me, for

I was a witness. I have photos of some of the wounded - undeniable evidence
of the attack. The GOS claimed that the attack was the work of the SPLA.
This is absurd! To begin with, the SPLA doesn't possess Antanov bombers in
its military arsenal.

This was a new experience for me in my work in Sudan. Instead of scaring me
away, it has cemented my decision on the importance of ICC continuing to go
into these "No-Go" zones. We must - I must - distribute the aid and spend
time with the suffering people of Sudan. We may not be able to speak the
same language, but what our hearts speak to each other is unmistakable. We
have been told by many that it means the world to these people to have
foreigners come and be with them, especially those of us who are willing to
enter these No-Go zones and actually spend the night with them, sleeping on
the ground, sharing briefly with them what they encounter every day.

We are determined and will continue to serve these precious people who are
all too familiar with what it means to suffer from the cruel, merciless
attacks of a regime that is determined to bring to an end their existence.

The above account was written by Pat Bradley, Vice President of
International Christian Concern, a human rights and humanitarian aid
organization based in Washington, DC. For additional information or for an
interview, call ICC at: (301) 989-1708.

Rowland Croucher

Jun 3, 2002, 8:14:45 PM6/3/02
A ministry of HCJB World Radio
To subscribe, E-mail to: <HCJBDa...@pmbx.net>

Today's News Headlines:

TENSIONS IN INDIA FORCE CANCELLATION OF EVANGELISTIC TRAINING
SERBIAN ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS CONTINUE TO FACE PERSECUTION
BAPTIST LEADER IN GEORGIA BECOMES TARGET OF ATTACKS
MOZAMBIQUE CHURCHES UNITE TO PRAY FOR TRAIN CRASH VICTIMS
LITERATURE MINISTRY EXPANDS IN PAKISTAN DESPITE UNREST
BOYS' BRIGADE HELPS SPREAD GOSPEL IN SINGAPORE

Today's News Stories:

TENSIONS IN INDIA FORCE CANCELLATION OF EVANGELISTIC TRAINING
The conflict between India and Pakistan is beginning to have an impact
on evangelism in the region. John Maisel of East West Ministries said
the unrest forced the cancellation of evangelistic training this week
for Christians planning to come from Bhutan, Nepal and India. "We were
getting ready to send in a team for six weeks to do evangelism," he
says. "We were trying to develop a house church involvement, but we
just had to cancel that because the State Department has come out with
a warning, basically restricting Americans from traveling to Pakistan
or to India." However, because nationals are doing the work, the
ministry will continue. Maisel adds that since the terrorist attacks
of Sept. 11, there has been a decrease in giving toward this ministry
to unreached people groups. (Mission Network News)

SERBIAN ORTHODOX CHRISTIANS CONTINUE TO FACE PERSECUTION
Recent reports indicate that Serbian Orthodox Christians in the
Yugoslavian province of Kosovo are suffering from widespread
persecution despite reconciliation efforts by the local government.
Reports about violence against Orthodox nuns, monks and lay people and
the desecration of Serbian graves come less than a month after
Kosovo's recently elected prime minister, Bajram Rexhepi, attended an
Orthodox Easter service at a monastery in Pec on May 5. NATO-led
peacekeeping forces have not been able to completely protect Serbs
from violent attacks in Kosovo which has a large population of ethnic
Albanian Muslims. Yugoslavian President Vojislav Kostunica is
concerned that recent incidents will discourage the return of an
estimated 240,000 Serbian refugees from Kosovo who are now in Serbia
and Montenegro. (Assist News Service)

BAPTIST LEADER IN GEORGIA BECOMES TARGET OF ATTACKS
Malkhaz Songulashvili, president of the Union of Evangelical Baptists
in the Central Asian country of Georgia, is the focus of continuing
attacks from a defrocked Orthodox priest and his followers. An
Orthodox newspaper in Georgia said that Songulashvili represents the
"greatest danger for our faith. In his books he has ruthlessly
destroyed the foundations of Orthodox dogma." Songulashvili says the
attacks may be related to a recent letter sent by some U.S. senators
to Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze, urging the government to do
more to prevent the growing number of attacks against Jehovah's
Witnesses, Pentecostals and Baptists. More than 700 criminal
complaints and documented attacks against non-Orthodox Christians have
been recorded. Songulashvili called on Georgia's president to use his
influence to stop the attacks, but the threats continue. (Religion
Today)

MOZAMBIQUE CHURCHES UNITE TO PRAY FOR TRAIN CRASH VICTIMS
The Christian Council of Mozambique organized a special service
Saturday, June 1, to pray for victims of the nation's worst-ever train
crash in which 200 people died, said Rev. Arao Litsure, president of
the United Congregational Church of Southern Africa. The train crashed
on May 25 after it developed mechanical problems descending a hill.
The driver disconnected the passenger section at the back of the train
and wedged four large stones under its wheels to prevent it from
rolling. He then drove the front section carrying freight to the
station at Tenga (northwest of Maputo). The stones apparently came
loose, and the passenger cars raced downhill for three miles before
careening into the freight section of the train. The prayer service
was held at a stadium in Maputo. (Council for World Mission)

LITERATURE MINISTRY EXPANDS IN PAKISTAN DESPITE UNREST
In spite of increasing threats, beatings and imprisonments suffered by
Christian Aid Mission's team members in Pakistan, it has not stopped

them from going out to spread the good news of Jesus Christ. In fact,

their Pakistani literature ministry has placed 60,000 Bibles and New

Testaments since it began 10 years ago. In addition, thousands of
copies have been put into libraries around the country. Missionaries

also have been going door-to-door in a third area of the country.
(Mission Network News)

BOYS' BRIGADE HELPS SPREAD GOSPEL IN SINGAPORE
Many boys and teenagers in Singapore are turning to Christ through the
work of the Boys' Brigade, a global church organization with a strong
following in East Asia. Through Bible studies, fellowship and
military-style drills, the club is bringing Christian values to
Singapore's youth, says Brian Koh, a Boys' Brigade captain at a
Presbyterian Church in Singapore. "We want the boys to know about
Jesus Christ by the time they leave the organization," he says. "But
we have to be careful. Most parents recognize their children's right
to choose their religion, but the law says that you cannot impose a
religion on anyone under the age of 18." The Boys' Brigade has trained
boys on the twin pillars of religion and discipline since 1883. Today
the ministry and its associated organizations work in more than 70
countries with a total membership approaching 500,000. (Council for
World Mission)

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
James A. Ferrier
HCJB World Radio

Web: http://www.hcjb.org
http://www.beyondthecall.org

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Editor's Note. Feel free to forward this to any interested friends. Our
lists are distributed for information purposes and to encourage prayer.
HCJB World Radio does not necessarily endorse or support the activities
on which it reports.

Rowland Croucher

Jun 4, 2002, 10:09:01 PM6/4/02
Jun 5, 2002, 8:33:42 PM6/5/02
World Relief News Release - For Immediate Release

Montagnard Refugees Depart for U.S.

BALTIMORE, June 5, 2002 - The first of more than 900 Montagnard refugees
from Vietnam left Cambodia this week for freedom in the United States. World
Relief, working with partnering churches, will welcome almost 100 Montagnard
refugees in North Carolina as they arrive between now and the end of July.

The Montagnard people are minority groups that live in the Central Highlands
of Vietnam. These refugees fled across the border into Cambodia in February
2001 after security forces quashed their protests over land rights and
religious freedom. It's estimated that more than 50 percent of these
refugees are Christians.

To Tim Ziemer, World Relief's executive director, the Montagnards are
particularly special. During the 1968 Tet Offensive, his missionary parents
were attacked, leaving his father dead and his mother critically wounded. It
was the Montagnard people who rescued his mother and helped her get to a
hospital for treatment, which saved her life.

Plans were made by the United Nations, Cambodia and Vietnam to allow these
refugees to return to Vietnam, but the United Nations pulled out of this
arrangement in March when U.N. staff witnessed the refugees being mistreated
and threatened. Cambodia then approved of the United States' offer to take
them.

World Relief has a history of working with the Montagnard people, first
resettling them as refugees in California during the 1980s and later in
North Carolina.

Rowland Croucher

Jun 16, 2002, 6:07:33 AM6/16/02
Various news sources June 16, 2002:

*Up to 13m people face starvation in southern Africa: UN*

The United Nations says up to 13 million people across southern Africa are
now at risk of starvation.

The UN is holding emergency talks in Johannesburg to address the disaster.

The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) says southern Africa is facing a
crisis of enormous dimensions.

The WFP is already feeding more than 4.6 million in the region but says the
situation is getting worse by the day.

Crops have failed in Zimbabwe, Malawi, Lesotho, Swaziland, Zambia and
Mozambique.

The UN's assistant emergency relief coordinator, Ross Mountain, says the
number of people in need is increasing.

"We are confronted now with 13 million people who are going to be at risk
over the next nine to 10 months," Mr Mountain said.

The UN, aid groups and donors are meeting in Johannesburg to discuss how to
deal with the disaster.

Rowland Croucher

Jun 20, 2002, 7:57:04 PM6/20/02

Religious Liberty Prayer List - No. 173 - Wed 19 Jun 2002

CUBA: CASTRO MOVES TO ENTRENCH COMMUNISM

The Church in Cuba has grown in spite of suffering under Communist
oppression. Government regulations make it virtually impossible for
churches to get building permits, so house-churches have mushroomed
and blossomed. For several years, the government has generally been
increasingly tolerant of these illegal house-churches. One pastor
reports that 1176 once illegal congregations have been legalised in
recent years as the government has shifted from open hostility to a
wary forbearance of religious bodies. He said another 600 were
pending. In some house-churches, pastors preach to around 100 people
in their apartment living-rooms. Many Cubans are coming to Christ.

The Christian Liberation Movement (CLM), headed by Osvaldo Paya, is
a secular political-civil movement inspired by Christian
principles. Through its Varela Project, it aims for freedom of
expression and association, amnesty for political prisoners, the
right to private enterprise and free elections to be made the law.
So for over a year now, CLM members have been gathering signatures
on a petition for a referendum, which Cuba's constitution will
permit if 10,000 are collected. Despite government efforts to
discourage citizens from signing or even knowing about the project,
more than 11,000 signatures have been obtained. In March, Vicki
Huddleston, a US diplomat in Cuba, said she believes that Cubans
are ready for change.

On 20 May 2002, Cuba's President Castro reacted with fury to US
President George W Bush's declaration that the US embargo against
Cuba will remain until Cuba has 'a new government that is fully
democratic'. Castro's response has been to appeal to Cuban pride
and anger against the US embargo, and ignite a pro-Castro, Cuban
nationalism based on Cuban socialism and a commitment to the
revolution, in defiance of the USA.

On 12 June, President Castro held a 'giant march' of one million
Cubans in support of Cuban socialism. On 15 June, he opened 130,000
petition stations across the island to collect signatures for a
constitutional amendment that would unchangeably entrench the
nation's one party communist system, effectively making reform
impossible. Some 7.6 million Cubans - more than 90% of the voting
population - have signed. With no privacy and a 'No' vote not an
option, many Cubans, citing the public nature of the process, fear
the choice has been either to sign in agreement or publicly abstain
and risk being regarded as a counter-revolutionary. 'They are
trying to head off the Varela Project,' said Elisardo Sanchez Santa
Cruz of the Cuban Human Rights Commission. Osvaldo Paya believes
this is the response of a government in panic.

PLEASE PRAY SPECIFICALLY:

* that the government will remain tolerant of Christianity so that
the Cuban Church will not be threatened or adversely affected by
this present situation. 'God reigns over the nations; God is
seated on his holy throne.' Psalm 47:8

* for great sensitivity, wisdom and courage for Cuban believers,
pastors and Christian leaders at this time.

* for the Cuban Church to continue to grow and bring hope and
salvation to multitudes of Cuban people.

SUMMARY TO USE IN BULLETINS UNABLE TO RUN THE WHOLE ARTICLE:
CASTRO MOVES TO ENTRENCH COMMUNISM IN CUBA

After several years of gradually increasing openness, Cuba's
President Fidel Castro has responded with fury to President Bush's
20 May statement that the US embargo against Cuba will remain until
Cuba has 'a new government that is fully democratic'. President
Castro has appealed to Cuban pride and anger to ignite a pro-
Castro, Cuban socialist nationalism and a re-commitment to the
revolution. On 15 June he opened over 130,000 polling stations
across the island where Cubans were asked to sign in support of a
constitutional amendment that would make the nation's one party
communist system unchangeable. A 'No' vote was not an option and
signing was public. Many feared the choice was to sign in agreement
or publicly abstain and risk being regarded as a counter-
revolutionary. Some 7.6 million Cuban voters (90%) have signed.
Pray for sensitivity and wisdom for the growing Church in Cuba.

Previous RLPs may be viewed at
http://www.evangelicalalliance.org.au/rlc/
If you downloaded this message from a website or it
was forwarded to you, you may receive future editions
by sending an empty e-mail to <join-rl...@xc.org>

Please send this RLP to others, with attribution to
World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) Religious Liberty
Prayer List <rl-p...@crossnet.org.au>

The WEA Religious Liberty Commission sponsors this
RL Prayer List to help individuals and groups pray
specifically and regularly for religious liberty
issues, and in particular to uphold the Church
where it is suffering persecution.

--

Shalom!

Rowland Croucher
http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm
(Now 7000+ articles!)

Rowland Croucher

Jun 24, 2002, 11:16:25 PM6/24/02
Tuesday, June 25, 2002 7:42 AM

**Saudi-Arabia: Human Rights Violations Overshadow King零 Anniversary**

(idea) The 20th anniversary of the enthronement of Saudi-Arabia零 King Ibn
Abdul Aziz Fahd on June 13 was overshadowed by severe human rights
violations, says the International Society for Human Rights. "Torture,
executions and all kinds of cruel punishments such as public flogging are
common practice. Apostasy from Islam carries the death penalty," stated the
Frankfurt based human rights organization.

There is zero tolerance for non-Muslim believers. Any public non-Islamic
religious practice is prohibited. Out of fear of being persecuted by the
religious police, the Muttawah, only a small minority of the more than
500,000 Christian expatriates in Saudi-Arabia dare to join private prayer
meetings. Last summer in Jeddah, 14 Christians were incarcerated for months
without legal charges. The human rights organization challenges King Fahd to
abolish torture and to introduce international human rights standards in his
country, such as religious freedom and women零 rights.

Shalom!

Rowland Croucher
http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm
(Now 7000+ articles)

Rowland Croucher

Jun 24, 2002, 11:22:35 PM6/24/02
A ministry of HCJB World Radio
To subscribe, E-mail to: <HCJBDa...@pmbx.net>

Today's News Headlines:

CHRISTIAN GROUPS RUSH AID TO IRAN FOLLOWING EARTHQUAKE
THOUSANDS OF NON-MUSLIMS FLEE SOUTHERN SUDAN
MINISTRY GROWS IN KAZAKHSTAN DESPITE GOVERNMENT PRESSURE
RELIGIOUS LEADERS ADOPT AIDS DECLARATION IN KENYA
EVANGELISTS HAND OUT GOSPEL TRACTS, VIDEOS AT WORLD CUP
CHRISTIANS CAN LEARN FROM SOCCER, SAYS GERMAN CHURCH LEADER

Today's News Stories:

CHRISTIAN GROUPS RUSH AID TO IRAN FOLLOWING EARTHQUAKE
A 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck rural Iran Saturday, wiping out
villages and thousands of mud-brick homes. Areas around Avaj in
northwestern Iran were hardest hit with some 60 villages losing half
or all their homes and other structures. Church World Service, the
Middle East Council of Churches and other Christian groups are
monitoring the situation as rescue efforts continue. Government
reports indicate that the quake killed at least 220 people with more
than 2,000 injured. The death toll is expected to grow as more rural
areas are reached by rescue teams. Hospitals are reportedly
overwhelmed with injured people. The epicenter was about 70 miles
southwest of Oazvin. Strong aftershocks continued to rock the region
all weekend. The area's underdeveloped infrastructure, including
communication and transportation systems, are hindering relief
efforts. (Disaster News Network/Associated Press)

THOUSANDS OF NON-MUSLIMS FLEE SOUTHERN SUDAN
Desperately trying to escape attacks on their villages, thousands of
residents in southern Sudan's Rubkona county--a non-Muslim area that
is mostly Christian and animist--have fled their homes. Unfortunately,
the flat scrub of the Upper Nile region offers little protection from
aerial bombardment or attacks from helicopters. Searching for whatever
limited security they can find, people of all ages have crossed
numerous small rivers and swamps, taking with them a few cattle and
small bundles of possessions. Church World Service is helping local
partners in the region to assist some 4,000 affected families with
basic supplies such as blankets, family-size mosquito nets, cooking
pots, tarpaulins to make waterproof roofs for their makeshift
dwellings, fishing equipment, hand tools and seeds to plant crops.
Partners in Sudan are also receiving training to improve their
capacity to respond to this and future emergencies. (Church World
Service)

MINISTRY GROWS IN KAZAKHSTAN DESPITE GOVERNMENT PRESSURE
In Kazakhstan, government authorities have been putting increasing
pressure on the church to register. Despite the harassment, believers
continue to minister. In the last round, involving harsh changes to
the religion law, Christians revamped their approach. "Churches,
during the last year, really prepared themselves for working under the
new law of religious freedom," says Bible Mission International's Paul
Hagelgamns. "They wrote to the government about what they will and
won't do. They continue to do evangelism, children's ministry--working
in plenty of churches." Although the law was rejected, Hagelgamns asks
for prayer support. "It's a big need for the workers. Second, please
pray that God will give wisdom and power for His workers. And third,
really pray for churches in America, that churches will participate
more and more in this ministry." (Mission Network News)

RELIGIOUS LEADERS ADOPT AIDS DECLARATION IN KENYA
The first African Religious Leaders Assembly on HIV/AIDS and Children
that met in Nairobi, Kenya June 10-12, promised action to end the
stigma of the disease and expand programs to protect affected
children, reported Religion Today. The declaration called on religious
leaders to re-examine their traditions to allow believers to fight the
disease in ways respectful of their consciences. But the meeting,
organized by the World Conference of Religions for Peace and the Hope
for African Children Initiative, could not agree on the use of condoms
to help prevent the spread of the disease. Stephen Lewis of a United
Nations special envoy on HIV/AIDS in Africa told attendees that
condoms should be made available. But other leaders disagreed. Sheikh
al Haji Yusuf Murigu of the Supreme Council of Kenya Muslims, for
example, said condoms were acceptable only in marriage where partners
used them to help protect each other against cross-infection. (Council
for World Mission)

EVANGELISTS HAND OUT GOSPEL TRACTS, VIDEOS AT WORLD CUP
With just four teams left in the World Cup of soccer, staff members
with the Southern Baptist International Mission Board and the Jesus
Film Project continue sharing the gospel. Felicity Barrow says the
outreach is going well. "While most of the fans have come to see their
teams win, Baptists and other Great Commission Christians have come to
win lost souls to Christ," she says. More than 11,000 tracts, 1,500
"Jesus" films and some 100,000 visitors guides containing soccer
schedules, events and a gospel message have been distributed to
interested people. (Mission Network News)

CHRISTIANS CAN LEARN FROM SOCCER, SAYS GERMAN CHURCH LEADER
A high-ranking church official in Germany believes that Christians can
learn a lot from soccer. They should be inspired by the enthusiasm
being shown at the World Cup being held in Japan and South Korea, says
Valentin Schmidt, president of the central church office of the
Germany's Protestant churches. He is convinced that soccer and the
Christian faith share something basic--to strive for a common goal and
to "accept defeat in humility." Schmidt, an enthusiastic soccer fan,
is fascinated by team spirit: "The players know that they have to act
together and to balance individual strengths and weaknesses if they
want to be successful," he says. "Together we win, together we lose.
The church had been following this philosophy for 2,000 years, but on
a much firmer spiritual basis. The New Testament teaches that we
should bear each other's troubles and problems, and in this way obey
the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2). But Schmidt insists that
Christians should speak up when fans "worship" soccer players such as
Oliver Kahn and Miroslav Klose who scored for Germany in the team's
2-1 victory over the U.S., eliminating the Americans from the
tournament. "There is only one God, and He is God also for the Kahns
and Kloses of this world." (Evangelical news agency IDEA)

Shalom!

Rowland Croucher
http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm
(Now 7000+ articles)

Rowland Croucher

Jun 27, 2002, 6:34:58 AM6/27/02
Jul 2, 2002, 12:36:23 AM7/2/02
Jul 29, 2002, 3:12:34 AM7/29/02
Date: Friday 26 July 2002
Subj: Sudan: Translating a Document into a Reality
To: World Evangelical Alliance Religious Liberty E-mail Conference
From: Elizabeth Kendal, Conference Moderator <el...@alphalink.com.au>

Dear Friends,

We do regret that some members of this mailing list received
multiple copies of the last message. We reported the fault to the
technicians at the xc.org listserver, who have acknowledged that
they had a software problem and are working to correct it. The
problem may or may not have been solved by the time this message is
sent so please be understanding if you receive more than one copy.

Thank you - EK

Sudan: Translating a Document into a Reality

The Peace Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Sudan
and the Southern People's Liberation Movement/Army, signed at the
Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) talks in Nairobi
on 20 July is, in itself, nothing short of a miracle. Reactions to
the peace deal have ranged from jubilant optimism to bitter
skepticism and angry rejection. Continued prayer and international
leverage will be needed if the miraculous peace agreement is to be
translated into a miraculous reality.

After 19 years of bloodshed, destruction and jihad (Islamic holy
war) - what circumstances have produced this opportunity for peace
in Sudan? One month ago, analysts were saying that both sides were
intransigent, that both the government and the southern rebels had
sacrificed too much and fought for too long to make compromise an
option. However, the very issues that were considered the major
sticking points, the issues that have derailed all previous peace
negotiations - the Southerner's demand for religious freedom and
their request for a referendum on self-determination - have been
granted by a government that is under intense international pressure
to make peace, and which indeed, needs peace if it is to develop and
receive any benefit from its oil industry.

Three main circumstances have put the Government of Sudan in this
position:

* Firstly - the falling-out in 2001 between President Omar el-Beshir
and Sudan's chief Islamist ideologue Hassan Turabi, the primary
mastermind behind el-Bashir's political Islamist program. This
opened the door for a degree of moderation and engagement that was
never even remotely possible with Turabi wielding power and
influence.

* Secondly - the both desperate and patient, long-suffering,
persevering advocacy of Christian and other human rights and
anti-slavery groups, that have made human rights and religious
liberty in Sudan, issues with political significance. The advocacy
of these groups and individuals produced the domestic leverage
necessary to encourage influential governments to exercise
international leverage.

* Thirdly - the terrorist attack on USA on 11 September 2001 has
forced Sudan to make watershed decisions regarding direction and
allegiances.

An Associated Press article posted on Tuesday 23 July 2002 entitled,
"This Sudanese agreement could be different" by Donna Bryson in
Cairo, Egypt, sums up the situation well. Quoting excerpts from that
article: (the full article can be found using link 1 below)

"With Saturday's announcement in Kenya, the government, which had
vowed to create an Islamic state after seizing power in 1989, agreed
state and religion should be separate. It also said that six years
after a full peace agreement was signed, Sudanese in the mainly
Christian and animist south would be allowed to vote on whether to
remain part of the country.

"The government had for years resisted those rebel demands.

"John Ashworth, a South Africa-based analyst who works for Sudanese
churches, said leaders in Khartoum could be yielding now in hopes
peace will open the way to international aid and oil entrepreneurs
and help end talk of their extremism - a label they fear could make
them targets in the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

"'They've been looking for international credibility and
international respectability,' Ashworth said in a telephone
interview.

"'After Sept. 11, things changed,' Tombe agreed (Rev. Enock Tombe is
head of the Sudan Council of Churches).

"Sudan's desire to be seen as an ally by the United States gives
Washington great influence. Strong U.S. interest in resolving
Africa's longest war, fueled in part by U.S. Christian groups who
have rallied to the southerners cause, was expressed in the
appointment last year of former U.S. Senator John Danforth as
special presidential envoy to Sudan.

"Hard-liners in Khartoum already have questioned whether the
government was offering to give up too much.

"'Issues and established facts such as Islamic law, federal rule and
unity should not be compromised,' Mohammed Hassan al-Amin told The
Associated Press Sunday (21 July). Al-Amin is an official of the
Popular National Congress headed by Hassan Turabi."

A Sudanese communist party member, requesting anonymity, expressed
his concern that the issue of retaining Sharia law in the north is
likely to undermine the peace agreement. "Sharia law is unpopular in
both the south and the north," he said. "Keeping the law in the
north is unlikely to bring peace to Sudan." (see link 2)

Ibrahim Elnur, a Sudanese analyst at the American University in
Cairo added that the agreement needed to include other northern and
southern parties, otherwise it could collapse like a similar
north-south deal in 1972 that sparked a return to war in 1983. "Now
we need to widen it and bring in a democratic element. This is the
only guarantee of stability," he said. (see link 2)

The agreement is known as the "Machakos Protocol" because the talks
have been held in the Kenyan town of Machakos.

Eric Reeves ere...@smith.edu, a Sudan analyst says, "The Machakos
Protocol .holds out extraordinary promise, even as it is burdened by
exceedingly great difficulties if that promise is to be realized in
a just and lasting peace. We do no service to the peace process if
we ignore either the promise of Machakos or the many and various
obstacles. This is the moment of truth for peace in Sudan. We
should ask - with honesty, appropriate skepticism, and moral
determination - how the peace process can be supported."

Reeves continues, "Machakos means only as much as the international
community forces it to mean. Unrelenting pressure must be exerted
on the National Islamic Front to build on the Machakos Protocol,
rather than seek ways to renege and walk away from what has been
agreed. There is no room for complacency or self-congratulation: we
are at best well begun."

Mel Middleton of Freedom Quest International agrees, "Two things are
certain: 1. This 'agreement' still has a long way to go before it
is, in fact, a 'just peace' agreement - the fighting has not stopped
yet. 2. The need for vigilance is greater now than ever before."

Talks will resume on 12 August 2002. Issues on the agenda are: power
sharing, distribution of oil revenues, human rights and a ceasefire.
Peter Woodward, a professor of politics at Britain's Reading
University, told Reuters (see link 3), "We have got a lot more to be
negotiated, and really it's very much a question of keeping the
pressure on to do it."

- Elizabeth Kendal

Links
1) Associated Press "This Sudanese agreement could be different" by
Donna Bryson, CAIRO, EGYPT 23 July 2002
http://www.sudan.net/news/posted/5454.html

2) Reuters "Sudan Hails Peace Deal, Opposition Wants Democracy" by
Alfred Taban, KHARTOUM, SUDAN 21 July 2002
http://www.sudan.net/news/posted/5424.html

3) Reuters "ANALYSIS-Sudan on path to peace but bumpy ride likely"
by Fiona O'Brien NAIROBI, KENYA 23 July 2002
http://www.sudan.net/news/posted/5453.html

Freedom Quest International http://www.freedom-quest.ca

For all news on Sudan: http://www.sudan.net

**WEA Religious-Liberty e-mail Conference**
<Religiou...@xc.org>
your request to the conference moderator, Elizabeth Kendal
<el...@alphalink.com.au>.
Please include your name and country or state of residence.

The Religious Liberty Conference is a moderated conference sharing
information on the state of religious liberty and persecution around
the world with those with a special interest in the field. Most
members are involved in church-based religious liberty advocacy,
academic research, missions leadership, creative-access missions,
religious media, or have prayer networks supporting these groups,
although anyone is welcome to join. Postings average one or two per
week. Information shared does not necessarily reflect the opinion
of World Evangelical Alliance, or of the WEA Religious Liberty
Commission.

For more information on the World Evangelical Alliance, please take
a look at our site on the web at <http://www.WorldEvangelical.org>.
For more stories on religious liberty/persecution issues, click on
"Persecuted Church News."

For more about the Religious Liberty Commission of the World
Evangelical Alliance (RLC), see
http://www.WorldEvangelical.org/rlc.html

Advocates International serves as the legal and judicial advisor to
the RLC. Advocates International links many Christian lawyers and
judges around the world and has been involved in religious liberty
issues for many years.
Their website is located at <http://www.advocatesinternational.org>.

For those of you who would like more detailed information on
situations for prayer and intercession, we recommend that you
subscribe to the WEA Religious Liberty Prayer List. Each week a
different nation or situation is highlighted.
any or no subject.

--

Shalom!

Rowland Croucher
http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm
(Now 7000+ articles)

Rowland Croucher

Jul 29, 2002, 3:36:18 AM7/29/02
Jul 29, 2002, 10:44:09 PM7/29/02
Churches help make peace a reality in post-war Angola

July 29, 2002 News media contact: Linda Bloom·(212)870-3803·New York
10-31-71BP{329}

NOTE: Photographs are available with this report at
http://umns.umc.org/currentphotos.html.

By Paul Jeffrey*

LUANDA, Angola (UMNS) -- After decades of war, Angola is struggling to make
peace with itself. Yet in the wake of a war in which brutality often took
precedence over rights, constructing a culture of peace and mutual respect
will take a while.

Reconciliation won't be easy. But most Angolans, tired of so much suffering
and convinced the war is definitely over, are eager to turn themselves to
learning the ways of peace.

Action by Churches Together, an international alliance that includes the
United Methodist Committee on Relief, is providing critical material aid to
the victims of Angola's conflict. At the same time, it is helping construct
a new culture of reconciliation.

Working closely with the Human Rights Division of the United Nations Office
in Angola, ACT has made it possible for pastors and church leaders from
several war-torn provinces to be trained as human rights counselors or peace
and reconciliation counselors. In cooperation with local government
officials and traditional village authorities, they have created local and
provincial human rights committees that are reinventing ways to peacefully
resolve conflicts within families, among neighbors and between former
enemies.

In many areas of the country, this peacemaking takes place in a vacuum.
After the studied neglect of Portuguese colonial rule and 27 years of
post-independence warfare, most provinces have no judicial or penal system.
According to a U.N. survey in 2001, only 13 of 164 municipalities had
functioning municipal courts. "They don't take many prisoners in the
provinces," said Patrick Hughes, deputy chief of the United Nations' Human
Rights Division in Angola.

To construct a working legal system, Hughes' office is training judges and
prosecutors and providing computers to track cases. Hughes says a major
problem with the existing court system is a dysfunctional bureaucracy that
simply loses cases. "A poor guy could steal a bag of cement and spend years
in jail because they lost his case," Hughes said.

Training lawyers to do their job is another element of remaking the judicial
system. "That's a massive task," said Hughes. "Lawyers here have been
trained to obey the police and judges. We're teaching them how to be
lawyers, that working for their client is their main job."

In a July 3 report, Human Rights Watch claimed that the Angolan legal system
- or lack of one - is particularly harsh for the 4 million Angolans who have
been displaced by the war.

"Many of the displaced lack identity documentation, facilitating harassment
by the authorities, especially the national police. Arbitrary beatings and
arrests occur when the displaced are unable to present personal
identification documents to the police and are unable to bribe their way
out," the report said.

"Women and girls are particularly vulnerable to assaults, including sexual
violence, by policemen and soldiers located in road control posts when on
their way to and from isolated agricultural areas or when collecting water.
Additionally, without documentation, the displaced, and especially children,
are unable to access social services.

"The sobas (traditional authorities) routinely demand bribes to include
people on lists to receive assistance. Local landowners regularly exploit
the internally displaced as a source of cheap labor for cultivation; those
that manage to find work as agricultural laborers are regularly subject to
extortion at military and police checkpoints when they return from the
fields. Soldiers that guard access to the camps also 'tax' the residents and
steal food and non-food relief items," the report stated.

Such human rights violations could not be redressed quickly enough by only
changing formal structures. What was needed was the cultivation of a culture
of complaint among the people affected. Aid workers, having witnessed two
periods of quasi-peace during the 1990s dissolve into bloodshed, believed
that empowering civilian leaders could help break the cycle.

"It's much easier to distribute food and blankets, but this work of building
peace and reconciliation is extremely important. One of the reasons that
past cease-fires didn't succeed was that no one was speaking up about human
rights violations," said Carl von Seth, the Angola representative for the
Lutheran World Federation, the lead ACT agency in Angola.

During much of the 1990s, the U.N. mission in Angola was sharply criticized
by rights activists for failing to include human rights education in its
work. This time around, people like Hughes are determined to do it
differently.

In cooperation with the U.N. Office in Angola, ACT began workshops last year
in the war-torn eastern province of Moxico. The Angolan constitution and
several international legal documents, like the United Nations' Declaration
of the Rights of the Child, served as texts.

According to Moises Gourgel, the ACT director in the provincial capital of
Luena, the workshops focused on "encouraging people, especially the
displaced, to know their rights and obligations, and then speak up. If
people don't demand their rights, it makes it easier for the government not
to assume its responsibility."

At the same time that church leaders are being trained as human rights
activists, the United Nations is conducting seminars on conflict resolution
for the sobas, the traditional village leaders.

According to Emilio Cesar, the Moxico coordinator for the ACT program on
rights, reconciliation and peace, the work of the church-based counselors
became even more urgent with the April cease-fire that followed the death of
Jonas Savimbi, who led the rebel group UNITA. "With these people emerging
from the bush, there cannot be room for revenge or rancor," Cesar said. "And
the church is in a unique position to help create this culture of peace. The
church is a bridge. It's present in every village, and it's willing to get
involved without fear."

Yet von Seth says the workshops, and a variety of related skits broadcast in
six languages on provincial radio stations, often focus more on peacefully
resolving conflicts within the family than on larger political tensions.
"You don't have to talk specifically about conflicts with UNITA to get your
point across," said von Seth. "Angolans need to learn new ways to resolve
conflicts at every level, and it may be easier to start at a family level."

The lingering political gaps aren't ignored. ACT helped organize a June 29
ecumenical worship service in the UNITA demobilization camp at Chicala.
Gourgel says it was an important moment for local leaders of churches and
other civil society groups to dialogue face to face with the former UNITA
combatants.

In the northern province of Uige, another ACT member, the Evangelical
Reformed Church of Angola, co-sponsored a May workshop where 59 peace
counselors were trained. One of those trained was Armando Mabaia, a Reformed
Church pastor in the provincial capital. He says police abuse of civilians
was a main topic addressed in the workshop. "These things happen because the
police don't know the laws, and the people don't know their rights and how
to defend themselves against the police," Mabaia said.

To educate both civilians and government officials, the provincial human
rights committee broadcasts a live, 45-minute program every Saturday on the
local government radio station; the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees
picks up the tab for the airtime. Committee members discuss a different
theme on each program, and citizens are invited to call in with their
complaints.

A test of the radio program's effectiveness came when someone called to
denounce the case of two police officers who had raped a woman and yet not
been punished. Appeals to the officers' superiors were going nowhere. A
phone call to the radio program led to the eventual jailing and prosecution
of the two officers.

"People have a right to know that they can expect certain things of the
government, but it's clear we have to struggle for those things. If we wait
on the government to make change, we'll be waiting a long time," said Kula
Romanos Jose, a Baptist and secretary of the provincial committee.
# # #
*Jeffrey is a United Methodist missionary in Central America. He was on
assignment in Angola for ACT International.

*************************************
United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org

--

Shalom!

Rowland Croucher
http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm
(Now 7000+ articles)

Rowland Croucher

Jul 31, 2002, 11:53:28 PM7/31/02
Missions Insider Report by Christian Aid
July 31, 2002 Vol. 3 No. 30
Visit our website at http://www.christianaid.org
John Lindner, Editor
Ann Witkower, Assistant Editor

1. North India Missionaries Beaten, Threatened
2. Russia: Two Churches Planted Along Trans-Siberian Railroad
3. Floods Devastate Nepal
4. Poor Arab World
5. Quote of the Week: If the World Were a Village
6. Photo of the Week: Russian Missionaries

Note: It is the policy of Missions Insider to refrain from mentioning names
that could make the subjects targets of anti-Christian activity. Any names
that are mentioned are in areas or circumstances that won't further
jeopardize the ones named.

1. North India Missionaries Beaten, Threatened

Indigenous mission groups in North India recently told Christian Aid of
three missionaries who have been beaten and threatened.

One ministry said that in Haryana State, police woke a missionary and four
other church members in the middle of the night last week and took them into
custody at the police station. Apparently a false accusation led to their
arrest. They spent the whole night in jail with an angry mob surrounding the
building. After the missionary's wife contacted the ministry headquarters
asking for prayer, God raised up non-Christian friends who helped release
the believers.

Later in the evening, a residents' committee met to decide whether the
church planter and his family could remain in the village. "A lot of people
wanted them to vacate the place and move out of the city," the ministry
leader told Christian Aid. "But God once again performed a miracle and they
voted that they could continue in the same house and worship there."

The jubilant missionary said, "Now everybody in the city knows that there is
a church and that there are a group of people who meet regularly to pray. I
am waiting to see how the Lord will multiply His ministry." He added, "We
need a tremendous amount of prayer to continue here."

Assailants broke into this same worker's church in April and tried to stop
the meeting. They falsely accused the worker of trying to "convert" people
by giving them money. They threatened him with dire consequences, saying
that if he did not leave the area they would take his life. Though warned to
tell no one of the incident, the missionary filed a police report.

The work in this difficult area is just a few years old.

In Madhya Pradesh State, another missionary, his wife and daughter were
attacked in the night while they slept and were beaten by a tribal group
with whom they had been sharing the gospel. In 1999 local officials
bulldozed this same missionary's 30-year-old church building, causing many
of the congregation to leave the church out of fear. Though authorities
later promised him land to rebuild, he has received nothing so far and meets
in a rented building.

A missionary in Uttar Pradesh State preparing to bring new believers to the
ministry headquarters for baptism was prevented by local people from leaving
the village. The villagers threatened the gospel worker and used abusive
language. God later worked in the hearts of the opposition, and one of them
came and apologized for his misbehavior.

All of these gospel workers need prayer as they labor in the face of
continued threats. For more information contact ins...@christianaid.org and
mention MI-330 660-HEM and 646-NMM on the subject line.

Native missionaries brave "dangerous places" to bring the gospel to
"unreached" people in mountains, cities, jungles and "closed" lands. You can
support your own missionary by sending $50 per month and receive the name,
photo and biographical sketch of the one you support, plus a description of
the indigenous mission with which he/she serves. Call (434)977-5650 or
contact in...@christianaid.org today.

2. Russia: Two Churches Planted Along Trans-Siberian Railroad

A Russian ministry has planted two new churches in two major cities along
the Trans-Siberian Railroad that have only a few churches between them.

The new churches are located in Cheboksary, population 480,000, the capital
city of Chuvashia oblast (state) and Yoshkar Ola, population 280,000, the
capital of Mari-El. The missionaries work with Works of Faith, a Russian
ministry located in the oblast of Udmurtia.

Works of Faith missionaries have planted at least 152 churches in Udmurtia,
Tatarstan, Bashkiria, Kirov and Saratav. They have prayed for two years for
Chuvashia and Mari-El because these areas have so little Christian witness.
They also operate a one-year Bible school from which 72 trainees graduated
this July.

Outside of Moscow, mission work in Russia is hampered by severe economic
depression. Many churches planted by Works of Faith are in villages where no
jobs exist and little grows in the short Russian summer. Church planters
continue to need help since local churches cannot support them.

"In the past years we planted around 25 churches a year, but last year we
planted just three, because we don't want to send out any more workers
without support," leader told Christian Aid. "We need a lot of your prayer
and financial help."

For more information, contact ins...@christianaid.org and put MI-330
361-WOF on the subject line.

3. Floods Devastate Nepal

For the fifth year in a row floods are hitting Nepal hard, and this is the
worst of the five. Eastern Nepal has been severely affected, along with 20
districts in the central region.

One Kathmandu-based mission leader told Christian Aid Monday that water in
the Chopar Gorge that helps drain the Kathmandu Valley had risen to 30 feet
deep. He said that two whole villages of the Rai people group in Eastern
Nepal were washed away and that flood-induced landslides in Central Nepal
had killed 110 people among the Chepang tribe. He said 3760 houses had been
reported damaged or lost as of last Friday.

"These people who can barely survive for six months from what they earn [by
farming], now have nothing. Their goats and cattle and farmland that used to
give them a little income are all in shambles," said the leader who was in
communication with gospel workers in the affected areas. In one village, 50
families were left homeless. Many families lost loved ones.

The missionary said that he was going to try to get aid to the people as
soon as he could, but that 130 landslides on the main east-west highway made
travel immediate impossible. "We are appealing to all brethren to bring
money, clothes, tents, cooking pots, and whatever they can give," the leader
said.

Those wishing to learn more may write ins...@christianaid.org and put
MI-330 702-ECF on the subject line.

4. Poor Arab World

Arab countries suffer poverty because of three lacks: freedom, knowledge and
womanpower, according to a study completed by the United Nations Development
Program.

The Arab world-meaning the 22 members of the Arab League-accounts for 280
million people, roughly the same as the United States. They range from the
68 million population of Egypt-the Arab world's natural leader-to Quatar's
565,000. The region is expected to top 400 million in 20 years.

The Arab countries' populations live on less than $2 a day. Though the
region has less abject poverty (defined as less than $1-a-day income) than
any other developing part of the world, it has experienced an income growth
rate of only 0.5% annually per head. At that rate, it will take 140 years
for the average Arab to double his income, compared to 10 years for
inhabitants of other parts of the world. And around 12 million people, 15%
of the labor force, are unemployed. That figure is projected to rise to 25
million by 2010.

The U.N. report concludes that the region lags behind other parts of the
world not from lack of resources (its oil deposits are legendary) but from
shortage of three essentials: freedom, knowledge, and womanpower.

In the freedom category, the UNDP cites survival of absolute autocracies,
confusion between executive and judiciary branches of government,
constraints on the media and civil society, and "a patriarchial, intolerant,
sometimes suffocating social environment." Democracy is sometimes offered,
the report says, but as a concession, not as a right, and elections are
often bogus.

Freedom of expression and freedom of association are both sharply limited.
The report cites Freedom House's assessment that no Arab country has truly
free media; three had partly free, the rest less free.

Secondly, though Arabs spend a higher percentage of Gross Domestic Product
on education than any other developing region, the quality of education has
deteriorated leaving a mismatch between the educational system and the labor
market. Illiteracy rates remain high with 65 million adults (two-thirds of
them women) unable to read. Some 10 million children still get no schooling.
Only 1.2% of Arabs have personal computers, and only 0.6% use the Internet.

"From their schooldays onwards, Arabs are instructed that they should not
defy tradition, but that they should respect authority, that truth should be
sought in the text and not in experience," the report stated. "By
discouraging transparency and innovation, it has held back progress, helping
to produce a great army of young Arabs, jobless, unskilled and embittered,
cut off from changing their own societies by democratic means."

Thirdly, the neglect or abuse of women is a major factor in the Arab world's
slow development. "How can a society prosper when it stifles half its
productive potential?" the report asks. "Half of all Arab women still can
neither read nor write. Their participation in their countries' political
and economic life is the lowest in the world."

With these three major deficits in Arab society, Islam itself is the only
thing that offers them self-respect. "With so many other paths closed to
them, some are now turning their dangerous anger on the western world," the
report concludes.

Christian Aid is assisting several strategic ministries among Arab nations.
They emphasize literacy, provide books and literature, educate children,
teach believers in Biblical principles and uplift the status of women. For
more information write ins...@christianaid.org and put 400-MSF on the
subject line.

5. Quote of the Week: If the World Were a Village

If the world were a village of 1000 people, next year's population would be
1018. Twenty-eight people would be born, but 10 would die: three from lack
of food, one from cancer, two in birth, one from war or crime, and three
from natural causes.

Two-hundred people from this village would receive 75% of its total income.
Six-hundred (the "middle class") would share another 23%. The remaining 200
people would have to survive on the last 2% of the income. --adapted from a
statement by World Vision

6. Photo of the Week: Russian Missionaries

http://www.christianaid.org/photo/photo-3-30.htm

Russian missionaries sing and proclaim the gospel on a street side in a town
in Russia. The missionaries are based in the oblast of Udmurtia, a "very
dark place," say the missionaries, where the Kalishnokov automatic rifle was
invented. For more information see item 2 above.

Mission Statement:

Missions Insider is a free weekly email report from Christian Aid Mission,
your link to the world of indigenous missions. We seek to establish a
witness for our Lord in every tribe and nation (Matthew 24:14) by supporting
highly effective native missionary ministries based in poorer countries
overseas, or where believers are persecuted. Christian Aid has contact with
more than 6000 indigenous ministries that have a total of 300,000
missionaries on the field or ready to go when support is available.

------------------------------ Contact Us -----------------------------
Please direct questions or comments to: Ins...@ChristianAid.org.
Check us out on the web at: http://www.christianaid.org/.

In Canada, visit http:/www.christianaid.ca or write to
fri...@christianaid.ca.

Christian Aid's Privacy Statement: http://www.christianaid.org/privacy.htm

The content of Missions Insider is Copyright 2002. You have permission to
share this newsletter with any evangelical Christian whom you think would be
interested in reading it. Permission is granted to reproduce articles in
whole or in part on websites or e-mail networks as long as the stories are
faithfully replicated and credit is given to "Missions Insider at
www.christianaid.org. Please send notices of publication to
ins...@christianaid.org.
Thank you.

Uncle Ñoño

Aug 1, 2002, 6:08:01 PM8/1/02
Granted and undoubtedly, we know that the allegations of HR Violations are
fact, but another thing we need to put into perspective in regard to the
Muslim versus Islam which most people seem to overlook is the fact that
Islam is to Christianity as Christianity is to Judaism. The Jews are
waiting for the Promised Messiah. The Christians believe that Jesus was
that Promised Messiah. The Muslim on the other hand believe that there is
no salvation except through Allah/Elohiym, depending on what language you
are speaking. We have a fourth party, the Baha'is who believe that the
coming of the Holy Ghost Incarnate is Baha'u'llah.

The pattern I'm approaching here is that if you check the history of each of
these religious groups you will find them all victims when minorities in
their beginnings and have also become the persecutors of their off-spring
religions. The Jews were persecuted by many people, particularly when in
slavery to the Egyptians, but then when the radical carpenter started
organizing and fulfilling the long awaited prophecies of the Jews the Jew
persecuted his followers even after his death. Then came Mohammed who as a
minority religion in the 1400s was brutally tortured and massacred and given
Divine Guidance which now is misunderstood even by Muslims whom we call
Muslim Extremists who in turn did the same to the Baha'is as what the
Christians did to them.

I wonder whom the Baha'is are going to persecute. As it is, they are
already persecuting their own whom they call "Covenant Breakers" when
engaging in independent investigations and become strictly monotheists
without a religion like myself. Then when we monotheists mature in our way
of life who are we going to persecute?

To me, with the Crusades and Trail of Tears, the King Herod massacre of so
many new born children, the Muslims in Iran where so many thousands of
Persian Baha'is (many of whom I knew personally as a child) whom they
persecuted and killed, and so forth, they are all alike, but the key to the
religion is what is God's religion? What then is our religion?
--
Uncle Ńońo
TheKingstonF...@hotmail.com
"Rowland Croucher" <rcro...@optushome.com.au> wrote in message

> Tuesday, June 25, 2002 7:42 AM
>

> **Saudi-Arabia: Human Rights Violations Overshadow Kingąs Anniversary**
>
> (idea) The 20th anniversary of the enthronement of Saudi-Arabiaąs King Ibn

> Abdul Aziz Fahd on June 13 was overshadowed by severe human rights
> violations, says the International Society for Human Rights. "Torture,
> executions and all kinds of cruel punishments such as public flogging are
> common practice. Apostasy from Islam carries the death penalty," stated
the
> Frankfurt based human rights organization.
>
> There is zero tolerance for non-Muslim believers. Any public non-Islamic
> religious practice is prohibited. Out of fear of being persecuted by the
> religious police, the Muttawah, only a small minority of the more than
> 500,000 Christian expatriates in Saudi-Arabia dare to join private prayer
> meetings. Last summer in Jeddah, 14 Christians were incarcerated for
months
> without legal charges. The human rights organization challenges King Fahd
> abolish torture and to introduce international human rights standards in
his

> country, such as religious freedom and womenąs rights.

Rowland Croucher

Aug 2, 2002, 2:15:47 AM8/2/02
Aug 2, 2002, 12:01:21 PM8/2/02
Dear UncleNono:

Very interesting: But, with One True God. So now who do we believe God or
people?

"Uncle Ńońo" <UncleŃońo...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Uncle Ñoño

Aug 2, 2002, 11:50:07 PM8/2/02
Thank you, Al, for that question. It is quite a paradox, isn't it? I
*personally believe* that the human condition is more than what meets the
eyes. To answer your question, we have to determine what our values are.
Our values are deeper than written laws, so we have discover our
relationship to the Universe we were created in. A paradox again, we have
to look within to discover where we are in this vast Universe. Then we can
answer your most appropriate question.

--
Uncle Ńońo
TheKingstonF...@groups.msn.com

http://groups.msn.com/TheKingstonFamilyWebsite/
THE INTERNET SECRET: http://TheInternetSecret.com/go.get/8591
--
NOTE: The Junk Mail Filter is on, so please check your email settings to
ensure that you will be able to reply. Otherwise, I will not receive your
email. This email address will not receive "@yahoo.com", "@hotmail.com",
"@excite", nor other free email addresses unless I unfiltered them. Thank
you.

"Al" <res0...@gte.net> wrote in message

Rowland Croucher

Aug 3, 2002, 1:08:37 AM8/3/02
persecution. It can be found at www.sufferingandhope.org

For more information about the work of the Forum please visit the website or
telephone Tina Lambert on 020 8942 8810. Photographs of the conference are
also available.

Worldwide Photos Ltd-----<rlgm...@ozemail.com.au>
The Religious Media Agency - Ramon A.Williams
PO Box 494 - Padstow NSW 2211 - AUSTRALIA
tel: +61-2-9792-2393 - fax: +61-2-9792-2881
http://au.photos.yahoo.com/rlgmediaau
http://community.webshots.com/user/ramon_williams
Telling others, what others are doing for the Lord.