Pelosi Statement on the 60th Anniversary of Tibetan Uprising Day

Peter Terpstra

Mar 10, 2019, 9:54:15 PM3/10/19

MARCH 8, 2019

Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released this statement in
observance of the 60th anniversary of Tibetan Uprising Day, which
commemorates resistance to occupation by Chinese government forces in Tibet
on March 10, 1959:

“Sixty years ago, the people of Tibet rose up against the Chinese
government’s systemic repression and brutal attacks to defend their lives
and liberty. Each March 10th, we remember their bravery and determined
spirit of those who fought and gave their lives, and we recommit to
securing the promise of human rights and religious freedom for the people
of Tibet.

“This year, we also mark 60 years since His Holiness the Dalai Lama was
forced into exile in India. Over the decades, the Dalai Lama has come to
represent the spirit of resiliency of the Tibetan people, and his
transcendent message of hope continues to inspire all freedom-loving people
to champion the aspirations of Tibetan men, women and children, and their
right to speak their language, teach their culture and practice their
religion in peace.

“On this important anniversary, we must renew the unbreakable bonds of
friendship between the Tibetan people and the United States. Members of
Congress are committed to building on the recent passage of the Reciprocal
Access to Tibet Act which advances a future where all Tibetans are free to
practice their faith and customs, and holds Chinese officials accountable
for their campaign of fear and cultural repression. Guided by Tibetans’
untiring voices, Congress will continue to take action until all Tibetans
can live in peace, hope and prosperity.”

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/3819-7/