Vaper gets double lung transplant after contracting parainfluenza

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 25, 2024, 7:02:15 PMJan 25
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/vaper-gets-double-lung-
transplant-after-contracting-parainfluenza/ar-BB1hcj2z

ANorth Dakota man who vaped since his teens started to make a “miracle”
recovery from parainfluenza afterhis family was told he had a one per cent
chance of survival.

Twenty-two-year-old Jackson Allard was on life support for 70 days after
he went to the emergency room for a stomach ache in October, but ended up
being admitted to the hospital for low oxygen levels, according to Valley
News Live, citing a GoFundMe page set up for Mr Allard and his family.

Mr Allard was tested and found positive for Influenza 4 and double
pneumonia and was eventually placed on a life support machine and
transferred to the University of Minnesota, according to the fundraising
page.

Ms Hurlburt said her grandson had been using e-cigarettes since he was
around 16 or 17 but had recently started to increase the amount he vaped.
“He had no idea how bad it was for him,” she said according to NBC. “The
day before he was intubated, he said, ‘I had no idea I could get this
sick.’”

While scientists and doctors are not clear on the link between vaping and
lung issues, as it is a relatively new phenomenon, doctors suspected that
Mr Allard’s use of vapes may have prevented him from recovering from the
initial viral infection, the outlet said.

Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine, which can be highly addictive, but the
aerosol can contain substances that reach deep into the lungs, according
to the CDC, which also says additional research would help better the
understanding of the long-term health effects.

“As he was not getting better, they’re like, ‘Well, he vaped, and vaping
hurts your lungs,’” Ms Hulburt said, reports the outlet.

Doctors had to replace parts of his life support machine twice due to
blood clots forming, NBC reported. At one point, his heart stopped beating
and had to be resuscitated, the fundraiser said.

“In several family meetings, the [Surgical Intensive Care Unit] team said
there was a 1% chance of survival,” Jaime Foertsch, Mr Allard’s mother,
said in an email to NBC. “We never gave up and kept advocating for
Jackson.”

“I thought for sure we were going to lose him... he’s not going to survive
this, but in my mind, I kept picturing him coming home,” his grandmother
told KVLY-TV.

Mr Allard’s condition eventually improved, and he had surgery for a double
lung transplant in early January and was later able to come off the life
support machine after being on it for 70 days.

“We were told he was the longest patient they have had there on ECMO,” Ms
Hurlburt wrote on the fundraiser. “Jackson, of course, making records
seems fitting.”

He now is able to get out of bed and walk around five feet with a walker
and still needs to re-learn how to talk, but is able to communicate, NBC
reported.

“The nurses are calling him a legend and a miracle,” Ms Foertsch said. “He
is getting stronger every day and hopes he will be moved to rehab soon.”

Mr Allard has to stay in Minneapolis for at least six more months for
check-ups, will not be able to smoke or drink again, and will eventually
need another transplant later on in life.

From news to politics, travel to sport, culture to climate – The
Independent has a host of free newsletters to suit your interests. To find
the stories you want to read, and more, in your inbox, click here.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.