Man Who Received Pig Heart Transplant Dies Two Months After Surgery

Leroy N. Soetoro

Dec 8, 2023, 6:00:50 PM12/8/23
https://www.complex.com/life/a/backwoodsaltar/man-who-received-pig-heart-
transplant-dies-two-months-after-surgery?bfsource=relatedmanual

David Bennett, who became the first person to ever to receive pig heart
transplant, died on Tuesday, USA Todayreports.

While the 57-year-old’s health began to deteriorate in the days leading up
to his passing, the University of Maryland Medical Center has yet to
determine the cause of death. Hospital spokesperson Deborah Kotz said
researchers will conduct a thorough review into his death, with the
results to be published in a peer-reviewed journal in the future.

“We are devastated by the loss of Mr. Bennett. He proved to be a brave and
noble patient who fought all the way to the end. We extend our sincerest
condolences to his family,” said Dr. Bartley Griffith, who led his
transplant. “Mr. Bennett became known by millions of people around the
world for his courage and steadfast will to live.”

Bennett received a heart from a 1-year-old, 240-pound pig provided by
regenerative medicine company Revivicor. “It was either die or do this
transplant,” he said back in January. “I want to live. I know it’s a shot
in the dark, but it’s my last choice.” His heart performed without issue
for weeks, and his body did not reject it. He was receiving rehabilitation
after the surgery, and his physical therapist said he was able to sit up
to watch the Super Bowl.

"Their exhaustive efforts and energy, paired with my dad’s insatiable will
to live, created a hopeful environment during an uphill climb," said
Bennett's son, David Bennett Jr., in a statement. "We were able to spend
some precious weeks together while he recovered from the transplant
surgery, weeks we would not have had without this miraculous effort."

Bennett received the pig heart transplant on Jan. 7 at the University of
Maryland Medical Center, and was recovering there following the surgery.
Prior to the transplant, he was at the hospital on a heart-lung bypass
machine and was bedridden. He was also ineligible for a human heart
transplant since he had previously ignored medical recommendations.

Despite only providing Bennett with two more months to live, interspecies
transplants expert Dr. Muhammad Mohiuddin said the surgery has provided
“invaluable insights” into genetically modified pig hearts as options for
transplants in humans. “We remain optimistic and plan on continuing our
work in future clinical trials,” Mohiuddin added.

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.