Should we emultate Australian gun ocntrol?

slate_leeper

Mar 23, 2016, 7:27:00 AM3/23/16
"a massive 83 per cent increase in firearms offences in NSW between
2005/06 and 2014/15, and an even bigger jump in Victoria over the same
period"

"Police admit they cannot eradicate a black market that is peddling
illegal guns to criminals.... Motorcycle gang members and convicted
criminals barred from buying guns in South Australia have no
difficulty obtaining illegal firearms - including fully automatic
weapons."

http://reason.com/archives/2016/03/22/australias-gun-buyback-created-a-violent

Yes. It works so well.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Dechucka

Mar 23, 2016, 4:25:49 PM3/23/16

"slate_leeper" <bycy...@spamex.com> wrote in message
> "a massive 83 per cent increase in firearms offences in NSW between
> 2005/06 and 2014/15, and an even bigger jump in Victoria over the same
> period"
>
> "Police admit they cannot eradicate a black market that is peddling
> illegal guns to criminals.... Motorcycle gang members and convicted
> criminals barred from buying guns in South Australia have no
> difficulty obtaining illegal firearms - including fully automatic
> weapons."
>
> http://reason.com/archives/2016/03/22/australias-gun-buyback-created-a-violent
>

> Yes. It works so well.

it does, thanks

Fred Brown

Mar 24, 2016, 6:54:19 AM3/24/16

"slate_leeper" <bycy...@spamex.com> wrote in message
When the government bans something it merely creates a black market for the
banned product.
The US Prohibition 18th Amendment proved that beyond a doubt. It also
created organized crime
where previously independent criminal gangs now began working together.

Phil Smythe

Mar 25, 2016, 1:07:06 AM3/25/16
On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 7:27:00 PM UTC+8, slate_leeper wrote:
> "a massive 83 per cent increase in firearms offences in NSW between
> 2005/06 and 2014/15, and an even bigger jump in Victoria over the same
> period"
>
> "Police admit they cannot eradicate a black market that is peddling
> illegal guns to criminals.... Motorcycle gang members and convicted
> criminals barred from buying guns in South Australia have no
> difficulty obtaining illegal firearms - including fully automatic
> weapons."
>
> http://reason.com/archives/2016/03/22/australias-gun-buyback-created-a-violent
>

> Yes. It works so well.

This is a text book case of the old statistical adage; when fools figure, figures fool.

The overwhelming number of the offenses cited are for possession of firearms and not for actual violent crime involving firearms. The report you linked state "The data also indicates that police have taken a more proactive and hardline approach to enforcement in recent years and are uncovering more offences than ever before."

So what is the real impact, ie what has happened to violent crime involving guns?

Using 2004 data and 2014 data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics gives us the following numbers for firearms used in violent crime;

Murder - 32 (2004) 35 (2014)
Attempted murder - 71 (2004) 42 (2014)
Kidnapping/Abduction - 17 (2004) 29 (2014)
Robbery - 913 (2004) 903 (2014)
Total firearm involvement in violent crime - 1033 (2004) 1009 (2014)

So over a decade and the total numbers of firearms used in violet crime has fallen, and this not factoring in a 20% population increase over that period.

As you inadvertantly got correct, it works well.

Gronk

Apr 10, 2016, 5:54:51 PM4/10/16
Perhaps if the OP gave the corresponding figures for the US... heh heh