Even normally "progressive" publications get it right sometimes (school shootings)

slate_leeper

Nov 25, 2019, 10:36:37 AM11/25/19
Asimov's magazine usually contains stories and articles with a
decidedly "progressive" bent (LGBT, "transgender," "climate change,"
etc.,)

So I was pleasantly surprised this month to find:

"... about school shooters. Almost all were current or former
students. Almost all had long, troubled histories.... (he) couldn't
remember a school mass shooting where there weren't clear signs the
shooters were headed towards their monstrous deeds.
"Statistically schools were the safest places for ...the students to
be. Children faced fewer risks in their schools than anywhere else in
their lives. They were more likely to die in a car crash going to
school than being shot at school. More shootings took place in homes
than in public buildings. More children drowned every year or died in
house fires than were killed in schools."

But school shootings make great anti-gun propaganda, which is a major
reason why the media covers them so excessively. Indeed, that coverage
actually contributes to the problem. As one commentator said, "Any kid
who wants 15 minutes of fame knows exactly how to get it." If the
media actually wants fewer school shootings, they should at least stop
publishing and broadcasting the shooters' names and personal info!

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

a425couple

Nov 25, 2019, 11:06:00 AM11/25/19
On 11/25/2019 7:36 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
> Asimov's magazine usually contains stories and articles with a
> decidedly "progressive" bent (LGBT, "transgender," "climate change,"
> etc.,)
>
> So I was pleasantly surprised this month to find:
>
> "... about school shooters. Almost all were current or former
> students. Almost all had long, troubled histories.... (he) couldn't
> remember a school mass shooting where there weren't clear signs the
> shooters were headed towards their monstrous deeds.
> "Statistically schools were the safest places for ...the students to
> be. Children faced fewer risks in their schools than anywhere else in
> their lives. They were more likely to die in a car crash going to
> school than being shot at school. More shootings took place in homes
> than in public buildings. More children drowned every year or died in
> house fires than were killed in schools."
>
> But school shootings make great anti-gun propaganda, which is a major
> reason why the media covers them so excessively. Indeed, that coverage
> actually contributes to the problem. As one commentator said, "Any kid
> who wants 15 minutes of fame knows exactly how to get it." If the
> media actually wants fewer school shootings, they should at least stop
> publishing and broadcasting the shooters' names and personal info!
> -dan z-

Yes. The media are reprehensible that in their striving
for sensationalism and their view of political rightness,
they create contagion, copy-cats and further tragedies.

bigdog

Nov 25, 2019, 11:16:04 AM11/25/19
On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 10:36:37 AM UTC-5, slate_leeper wrote:
> Asimov's magazine usually contains stories and articles with a
> decidedly "progressive" bent (LGBT, "transgender," "climate change,"
> etc.,)
>
> So I was pleasantly surprised this month to find:
>
> "... about school shooters. Almost all were current or former
> students. Almost all had long, troubled histories.... (he) couldn't
> remember a school mass shooting where there weren't clear signs the
> shooters were headed towards their monstrous deeds.
> "Statistically schools were the safest places for ...the students to
> be. Children faced fewer risks in their schools than anywhere else in
> their lives. They were more likely to die in a car crash going to
> school than being shot at school. More shootings took place in homes
> than in public buildings. More children drowned every year or died in
> house fires than were killed in schools."

More kids drown than are killed by guns anywhere.

bigdog

Nov 25, 2019, 11:17:32 AM11/25/19
It is wishful thinking to think we can stop school shootings. The school shooters
decide if there is going to be a school shooting, not public policy. The best
thing we can do is harden the targets making it less likely they will decide to
shoot up a school.

benj

Nov 26, 2019, 1:54:03 AM11/26/19
Just post "no mass shooting zone" signs all over the schools and problem
solved. Progressives have the answer to all problems. Just a give them
ultimate power to do it!

Gronk

Dec 10, 2019, 11:55:11 PM12/10/19