Mexico Sues Gun Companies in U.S., Accusing Them of Fueling Violence

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 4, 2021, 6:27:36 PM8/4/21
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html

We should nuke these stupid taco-benders into oblivion and make Mexico
part of Texas. Our new southern border would only be 600 miles long-
easy to build The Wall then.

Dechucka

Aug 4, 2021, 6:32:07 PM8/4/21
On 5/08/2021 8:27 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html
>
> We should nuke these stupid taco-benders into oblivion and make Mexico
> part of Texas.

Good idea that would make it even easier for them to get guns

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 4, 2021, 6:37:57 PM8/4/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:31:59 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/08/2021 8:27 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html
>>
>> We should nuke these stupid taco-benders into oblivion and make Mexico
>> part of Texas.
>
>Good idea that would make it even easier for them to get guns

There would be no more "them." We might have to import Australians to
bend tacos after things cooled off, though.

Bolloy Benders Family

Aug 4, 2021, 6:41:20 PM8/4/21
NYTIMES.COM
Mexico Sues Gun Companies in U.S., Accusing Them of Fueling Violence
Natalie Kitroeff, Oscar Lopez

Aug. 4, 2021

MEXICO CITY -- For years, Mexican officials have complained that lax
U.S. gun control was responsible for devastating bloodshed in Mexico.
On Wednesday, they moved their campaign into American courts, filing a
lawsuit against 10 gun manufacturers and suppliers.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Massachusetts, was the first
time that a national government has sued gun makers in the United
States, officials said. The suit accuses the companies of negligently
facilitating the flow of weapons to powerful drug cartels, and fueling
a trade in which 70 percent of guns traced in Mexico are found to have
come from the United States.

"For decades, the government and its citizens have been victimized by
a deadly flood of military-style and other particularly lethal guns
that flows from the U.S. across the border," the lawsuit reads. The
flood of weaponry is "the foreseeable result of the defendants'
deliberate actions and business practices."

The government cited as an example three guns made by Colt that appear
to directly target a Mexican audience, with Spanish nicknames and
themes that resonate in Mexico. One of them, a special edition .38
pistol, is engraved with the face of the Mexican revolutionary hero
Emiliano Zapata and a quote that has been attributed to him: "It is
better to die standing than to live on your knees."

That was the pistol used by a gunman in 2017 to kill the Mexican
investigative journalist Miroslava Breach Velducea, the government
said. A member of a group linked to the powerful Sinaloa cartel was
convicted of her murder last year.

Legal experts questioned the lawsuit's ultimate chances, given that
U.S. federal law guarantees gun manufacturers a strong shield against
being sued by victims of gun violence and their relatives. But some
said the lawsuit could lend political support to the strengthening of
gun regulations in the United States, which are among the loosest in
the hemisphere.

"It's a bit of a long shot," said Carl Tobias, a law professor at the
University of Richmond. "It may just be a way to get the attention of
the federal government and Biden and the White House so they can sit
down and make a deal."

Mexico has strict laws regulating the sale and private use of guns,
and the nation's drug trafficking groups often arm themselves with
American weapons. The Justice Department found that 70 percent of the
firearms submitted for tracing in Mexico between 2014 and 2018
originated in the United States.

"These weapons are intimately linked to the violence that Mexico is
living through today," Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said at a news
conference on Wednesday.

The government argues in the lawsuit that American gunmakers knowingly
facilitate the sale of arms to criminal groups in Mexico by marketing
their wares in ways that appeal to drug traffickers and refusing to
put responsible restrictions on sales.

Gunmakers sell to any distributor with a license, the suit says,
"despite blazing red flags indicating that a gun dealer is conspiring
with straw purchasers or others to traffic defendants' guns into
Mexico."

For years, Mexico had focused on pressing American officials to crack
down on gun smuggling at the border. Smugglers routinely enlist
Americans with clean criminal records to buy several guns at a time,
often from different shops, and then drive the guns across the border,
officials say.

With its move on Wednesday, Mexico is expanding the effort to
targeting gun companies themselves. Mexican government officials said
they had been closely watching several recent U.S. cases involving gun
manufacturers, including the lawsuit brought against Remington by
families of the children killed in the Sandy Hook school shooting in
2012.

The families are now considering a $33 million settlement offered by
the company, after legal proceedings that lasted seven years and,
experts say, opened a new path for victims of gun violence to hold
manufacturers accountable. The Sandy Hook case took advantage of an
exemption written into the federal law protecting gunmakers that
allows for litigation against the companies if their marketing
practices violate state or federal laws.

But legal experts cast doubt on whether the Mexican government could
convince the Massachusetts court that gunmakers had knowingly
facilitated the sale of firearms to cartels or had engaged in illegal
marketing. Selling to retailers who may have links to criminal groups
isn't necessarily a crime.

"Even if it's careless, they're not liable," said Tim Lytton, a law
professor at Georgia State University.

And it will be difficult to show that companies that put Mexican icons
on their guns were trying to appeal to cartel hit men, the experts
said.

"It's perfectly legal to have Mexican revolutionary heroes on your
gun," said Eugene Volokh, a law professor at UCLA. "There's no law
that prohibits that."

In Washington, the White House noted that President Biden has urged
Congress to repeal the federal statute that shields gunmakers from
lawsuits. "President Biden remains committed to Congressional repeal,"
said Michael Gwin, a White House spokesman. "While that law remains on
the books, gun manufacturers and distributors should be held
accountable -- to the extent legally possible -- when they violate the
law."

American gun laws have clear links to the ebb and flow of violence in
Mexico, experts say. When the U.S. assault weapons ban ended in 2004,
the government noted in the suit, gun makers "exploited the opening to
vastly increase production, particularly of the military-style assault
weapons favored by the drug cartels."

At the same time, killings in Mexico began to rise, reaching record
levels in 2018, when more than 36,000 people were murdered across the
country.

The Mexican government is being represented by lawyers from Hilliard
Shadowen, a Texas law firm specializing in class-action lawsuits, and
by Jonathan Lowy, chief counsel for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun
Violence, the gun control organization.

The suit was filed the day after Mr. Ebrard, the foreign minister,
attended a ceremony commemorating the two-year anniversary of the mass
shooting in an El Paso, Texas, Walmart store that killed 23 people,
including several Mexican citizens.

Despite President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador's campaign promise to
stanch the bloodshed by tackling the root cause of violence, a
strategy he called "hugs not bullets," the authorities have so far
been unable to make much headway.

Since Mr. Lopez Obrador's landslide victory three years ago, killings
have declined by less than 1 percent. So far this year, more than
16,000 people have been murdered in Mexico, according to government
figures.

The companies named in the suit are Smith & Wesson; Barrett Firearms
Manufacturing; Beretta U.S.A.; Beretta Holding; Century International
Arms; Colt's Manufacturing Company; Glock, Inc.; Glock Ges.m.b.H;
Sturm, Ruger & Co.; and the gun supplier Witmer Public Safety Group,
doing business as Interstate Arms.

The companies named in the lawsuit did not immediately respond to
requests for comment. But the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the
firearm industry association, issued a statement denying accusations
that the gun makers had participated in negligent business practices.

"Mexico's criminal activity is a direct result of the illicit drug
trade, human trafficking and organized crime cartels that plague
Mexico's citizens," said Lawrence G. Keane, the group's general
counsel. He added that the Mexican government "is solely responsible
for enforcing its laws -- including the country's strict gun control
laws -- within their own borders."

An official from Mexico's foreign ministry said that the ultimate goal
of the suit was getting U.S. gun makers to be more responsible in the
sale and marketing of their arms. The suit does not specify how much
compensation the government is seeking, but Foreign Ministry officials
said they had calculated up to $10 billion in potential damages.

Katie Rogers contributed reporting from Washington.
--

)" .
/ \ (\-./
| | .-" y)-
| |/ _/ \
\ /j _".\(@)
\ ( | `.'' )
\ _`- | /
" `-._ <_ (
`-.,),)

bigdog

Aug 4, 2021, 6:41:31 PM8/4/21
True, but then all the wetbacks would be on the north side of the wall.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 4, 2021, 6:46:25 PM8/4/21
On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:41:15 -0700, Bolloy Benders Family
<ben...@bloody.invalid> wrote:

>"Mexico's criminal activity is a direct result of the illicit drug
>trade, human trafficking and organized crime cartels that plague
>Mexico's citizens," said Lawrence G. Keane, the group's general
>counsel. He added that the Mexican government "is solely responsible
>for enforcing its laws -- including the country's strict gun control
>laws -- within their own borders."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/10-most-corrupt-countries-ranked-by-perception?slide=9
3. Mexico

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 4, 2021, 6:47:15 PM8/4/21
After nuking, the wetbacks would be nice and desiccated.

Dechucka

Aug 4, 2021, 6:53:29 PM8/4/21
On 5/08/2021 8:37 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:31:59 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/08/2021 8:27 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
>>> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html
>>>
>>> We should nuke these stupid taco-benders into oblivion and make Mexico
>>> part of Texas.
>>
>> Good idea that would make it even easier for them to get guns
>
> There would be no more "them."

Good point would solve your wet-back problem if they are all Americans

> We might have to import Australians to
> bend tacos after things cooled off, though.

No way we need our Q'landers to bend bananas. At least if you takeover
Mexico you'll hopefully get some decent food instead of that Tex-Mex
shit that Americans think is Mexican food

Dechucka

Aug 4, 2021, 7:00:23 PM8/4/21
If you're just going to nuke them why make Mexico part of Texas? Just
nuke Mexico making it hard for people to walk across the glass. Can't
see any 'fall-out' for America can you?

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 4, 2021, 7:35:07 PM8/4/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:53:20 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/08/2021 8:37 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:31:59 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Good idea that would make it even easier for them to get guns
>>
>> There would be no more "them."
>
>Good point would solve your wet-back problem if they are all Americans

That makes less sense than you usually do.

>> We might have to import Australians to
>> bend tacos after things cooled off, though.
>
>No way we need our Q'landers to bend bananas.

Are you high again?

>At least if you takeover
>Mexico you'll hopefully get some decent food instead of that Tex-Mex
>shit that Americans think is Mexican food

They don't. They think Tex-Mex is Tex-Mex.

That's why it's called "Tex-Mex."

I thought you'd be able to figure that out on your own, but I guess
not.

How come there are no restaurants specializing in Australian food
except in Australia?

What kind of shit are you people eating down there besides McDonald's
and Hungry Jack's?

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 4, 2021, 7:36:11 PM8/4/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:00:14 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/08/2021 8:47 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 15:41:30 -0700 (PDT), bigdog
>> <geowri...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> True, but then all the wetbacks would be on the north side of the wall.
>>
>> After nuking, the wetbacks would be nice and desiccated.
>
>If you're just going to nuke them why make Mexico part of Texas?

Texas will need some new landfill locations.

>Just
>nuke Mexico making it hard for people to walk across the glass. Can't
>see any 'fall-out' for America can you?

We'll wait until the wind is right.

Dechucka

Aug 4, 2021, 7:55:28 PM8/4/21
On 5/08/2021 9:35 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:53:20 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/08/2021 8:37 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:

>>> There would be no more "them."
>>
>> Good point would solve your wet-back problem if they are all Americans
>
> That makes less sense than you usually do.

Perfect sense

>>> We might have to import Australians to
>>> bend tacos after things cooled off, though.
>>
>> No way we need our Q'landers to bend bananas.
>
> Are you high again?

You mentioned taco bendingg

>> At least if you takeover
>> Mexico you'll hopefully get some decent food instead of that Tex-Mex
>> shit that Americans think is Mexican food
>
> They don't. They think Tex-Mex is Tex-Mex.

LOL

Baxter

Aug 4, 2021, 10:07:08 PM8/4/21
Klaus Schadenfreude <klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> wrote in
============
MEXICO CITY — The Mexican government sued several major U.S.-based gun
manufacturers Wednesday, alleging that lax controls contribute to the
illegal flow of weapons over the border.

The unusual suit — filed in U.S. federal court in Boston — seeks
unspecified financial compensation from the companies but does not target
the U.S. government.

Mexican authorities argue that American-made weapons have fueled an
explosion in homicides in this nation over the past decade. Around 2.5
million illicit American guns have poured across the border during that
period, according to a Mexican government study released last year. Legal
gun sales in Mexico are tightly restricted.

“If we don’t file a suit like this and win it, they’re never going to
understand, they’re going to continue doing the same thing and we will
continue having deaths every day in our country,” Mexico’s foreign
minister, Marcelo Ebrard, said at a news conference.

Mexico’s deadly elections: Crime groups target candidates in battle for
turf

Security experts in Mexico saw the lawsuit as an attempt to raise the
profile of gun-trafficking issues but one unlikely to lead to a legal
victory. A U.S. law that took effect in 2005 shields gun manufacturers
from most civil liability claims.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-guns-us-
lawsuit/2021/08/04/181fdbaa-f52d-11eb-a636-18cac59a98dc_story.html

max headroom

Aug 5, 2021, 12:54:02 AM8/5/21
In news:sefh4a$1smc$1...@gioia.aioe.org, Baxter <bax02_s...@baxcode.com> typed:

> Klaus Schadenfreude <klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> wrote in
>> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:41:15 -0700, Bolloy Benders Family
>> <ben...@bloody.invalid> wrote:

>>> "Mexico's criminal activity is a direct result of the illicit drug
>>> trade, human trafficking and organized crime cartels that plague
>>> Mexico's citizens," said Lawrence G. Keane, the group's general
>>> counsel. He added that the Mexican government "is solely responsible
>>> for enforcing its laws -- including the country's strict gun control
>>> laws -- within their own borders."

>> https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/10-most-corrupt-cou
>> ntries-ranked-by-perception?slide=9 3. Mexico

> ============
> MEXICO CITY The Mexican government sued several major U.S.-based gun
> manufacturers Wednesday, alleging that lax controls contribute to the
> illegal flow of weapons over the border....

So their gripe is with our government. Tough shit.

RosemontCrest

Aug 5, 2021, 1:07:25 AM8/5/21

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 5, 2021, 7:01:43 AM8/5/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 02:07:06 -0000 (UTC), Baxter
<bax02_s...@baxcode.com> wrote:

>Klaus Schadenfreude <klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:41:15 -0700, Bolloy Benders Family
>> <ben...@bloody.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>"Mexico's criminal activity is a direct result of the illicit drug
>>>trade, human trafficking and organized crime cartels that plague
>>>Mexico's citizens," said Lawrence G. Keane, the group's general
>>>counsel. He added that the Mexican government "is solely responsible
>>>for enforcing its laws -- including the country's strict gun control
>>>laws -- within their own borders."
>>
>> https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/10-most-corrupt-cou
>> ntries-ranked-by-perception?slide=9 3. Mexico
>>
>============
>MEXICO CITY — The Mexican government sued several major U.S.-based gun
>manufacturers Wednesday, alleging that lax controls contribute to the
>illegal flow of weapons over the border.

Yes, Baxter, we know the Mexicans are too stupid and corrupt to
control the border, just like Biden.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 5, 2021, 7:03:13 AM8/5/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:55:20 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/08/2021 9:35 am, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:53:20 +1000, Dechucka <Dech...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Good point would solve your wet-back problem if they are all Americans
>>
>> That makes less sense than you usually do.
>
>Perfect sense

No sense. As usual.

>>> No way we need our Q'landers to bend bananas.
>>
>> Are you high again?
>
>You mentioned taco bendingg

So you are high again. OK.

Scout

Aug 5, 2021, 7:29:27 AM8/5/21

"Baxter" <bax02_s...@baxcode.com> wrote in message
> Klaus Schadenfreude <klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:41:15 -0700, Bolloy Benders Family
>> <ben...@bloody.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>"Mexico's criminal activity is a direct result of the illicit drug
>>>trade, human trafficking and organized crime cartels that plague
>>>Mexico's citizens," said Lawrence G. Keane, the group's general
>>>counsel. He added that the Mexican government "is solely responsible
>>>for enforcing its laws -- including the country's strict gun control
>>>laws -- within their own borders."
>>
>> https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/10-most-corrupt-cou
>> ntries-ranked-by-perception?slide=9 3. Mexico
>>
> ============
> MEXICO CITY - The Mexican government sued several major U.S.-based gun
> manufacturers Wednesday, alleging that lax controls contribute to the
> illegal flow of weapons over the border.

So you're now in favor of building the wall and securing the border against
illegal crossings... in either direction?

max headroom

Aug 5, 2021, 8:44:13 AM8/5/21
In news:19hngg5k6lav7qfdg...@4ax.com, Klaus Schadenfreude
<klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> typed:
This begs the question: do aussies ever post sober?

slate_leeper

Aug 5, 2021, 9:27:37 AM8/5/21
On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:27:29 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
<klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> wrote:

>https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html

I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Scout

Aug 5, 2021, 10:48:41 AM8/5/21

"max headroom" <maximus...@gmx.com> wrote in message
or in short form "are aussies ever sober"?

Klaus Schadenfreude

Aug 5, 2021, 10:56:27 AM8/5/21
I guess if I had to live in that shit hole, I'd want to be drunk all
the time, too.

Scout

Aug 5, 2021, 11:51:32 AM8/5/21

"slate_leeper" <lcgh...@xemaps.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 15:27:29 -0700, Klaus Schadenfreude
> <klaus.schadenfreude.entfernen.@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html
>>

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

That's ok, our countersuit will be for the damages of the illegal drugs
coming across the border from Mexico.

RichA

Aug 5, 2021, 12:19:31 PM8/5/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

More guns = less crime. Not enough guns.

RichA

Aug 9, 2021, 11:03:24 PM8/9/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

RichA

Sep 12, 2021, 5:28:09 PM9/12/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

RichA

Oct 30, 2021, 2:46:37 PM10/30/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

RichA

Nov 3, 2021, 5:54:53 PM11/3/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

RichA

Nov 16, 2021, 5:48:11 PM11/16/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

RichA

Dec 6, 2021, 8:04:38 PM12/6/21
slate_leeper wrote

> I wonder how much Soros and Bloomberg are paying for this effort....

bigdog

Dec 7, 2021, 12:46:12 AM12/7/21
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 6:27:36 PM UTC-4, Klaus Schadenfreude wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/world/americas/mexico-lawsuit-gun-companies.html
>
> We should nuke these stupid taco-benders into oblivion and make Mexico
> part of Texas. Our new southern border would only be 600 miles long-
> easy to build The Wall then.

Think about that. Texas would be the big prize in the Electoral College and it would be overwhelmingly Democrat. I'd rather give Kalifornia to Mexico.

renovate

Dec 7, 2021, 3:06:17 AM12/7/21
In article <f773d138-4e7c-4697-be25-
e39c53...@googlegroups.com>
Hit 'em where it hurts.

Give California, Oregon and Washington to Canada.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Dec 7, 2021, 6:25:33 AM12/7/21