Why time travel is impossible

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Meme Warrior

unread,
Aug 3, 2004, 10:07:55 PM8/3/04
to
Travel backwards in time is like traveling forward in time only revearsed.
Forward time fallicates the pagent of physical events. A glass dropping and
breaking on the floor, takes time to happen. This is forward time motion. If
time where to go backwards the broken glass would reassamble and fly up to
it's starting point (which is now it's ending point).

A person watching the glass fall would see it happen in forward time motion.
There brain processes the person uses to precieve the glass fall also takes
time to happen and our themselves products of forward time motion.

If time moves backwards the brain processes occuring in the mind of the
person observing would behave just like the glass and return to their
starting state.

Therefore backwards time motion cannot be percived by a time traveller as
they lack any aspect of their starting time point for which to establish
reference.


Nick Legrand

unread,
Aug 4, 2004, 8:37:15 AM8/4/04
to

"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message
news:%xXPc.1084$J06.344@pd7tw2no...

pointless *crap* in my very humble opinion...
tell me what this has to do with time travel please


Albert

unread,
Aug 4, 2004, 8:29:01 AM8/4/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote:
<snip>

Mind games are fun and can be useful for modeling hypothetical
events. But never believe that you have thereby actually said
anything about the real world.

--
"Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the
range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally
impossible, because there will be no words in which to express
it."
-- George Orwell as Syme in "1984"

Jack

unread,
Aug 4, 2004, 11:37:13 AM8/4/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message news:<%xXPc.1084$J06.344@pd7tw2no>...


Maybe there is something fundamentally wrong in the way we actually
measure time. For instance, is there actaully such a thing as 'the
present'? We measure time numerically and we know numbers are
infinite. You can have one second before midnight, one second after
midnight. Therefore, you can have 1/10th of a second before midnight,
1/10th of a second after midnight. 1 billionth of a second before
midnight, 1 billionth of a second after midnight. You see where I'm
going? If you can break the time down infinitely, before and after,
does midnight ever happen? Does the 'present' ever really exist?
Midnight obviously must occur, as we skip over it, but at what point
does it happen? Do we ever really live in 'the present'? If our way
of measurement is correct, we think it does, but in reality, based on
the mathematics that support the measurement of time as we know it, it
never really can occur because of the infinite. Our measurement of
time is based on the earth and sun's roatation and revolution broken
down into neat little segments. Time in the universe moves at a
different rate dependent on gravity. It is theorized that as one
approaches the speed of light, time slows down. Light cannot escape
the gravity created by a black hole. Therefore the gravity at the
black hole has the strongest pull in the universe. The exact opposite
would be the absence of gravity, wherein time would stand still, that
would in a sense be the true 'present' as we call it. Go back in
time? Impossible. All you could hope to achieve is the lack of
passing of time, or the acceleration of time. There is no future.
The past is over with, if it ever was. Looking at the stars and
seeing light that has left those stars 20 years ago is merely looking
back in time as it existed then. The star however has continued to
age regardless of when it's light hits the earth. It doesn't mean
that just because we are able to see the past, that we are able to go
back in time physically.

Ryan Tanaka

unread,
Aug 5, 2004, 7:57:01 PM8/5/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message news:<%xXPc.1084$J06.344@pd7tw2no>...

I've always liked the "it's really *really* hard" argument.

Ryan

--
http://www.ryangtanaka.com

Jack

unread,
Aug 6, 2004, 10:41:03 PM8/6/04
to
yid...@hotmail.com (Ryan Tanaka) wrote in message news:<8db67b6f.04080...@posting.google.com>...

> "Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message news:<%xXPc.1084$J06.344@pd7tw2no>...
>
> I've always liked the "it's really *really* hard" argument.
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> http://www.ryangtanaka.com

Actually it's really really impossible.

Phill

unread,
Aug 7, 2004, 2:18:05 PM8/7/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message news:<%xXPc.1084$J06.344@pd7tw2no>...

Just because you yourself wouldn't be aware of the fact that you were
travelling back in time doesnt mean that you cant do it.

X-Checker

unread,
Aug 7, 2004, 8:01:57 PM8/7/04
to
phi...@hotmail.com (Phill) wrote in message news:<4c3b649.04080...@posting.google.com>...

Hmmm. Seems pretty useless to me. Let's face it, one might think up
any number of possible scenarios - does that make any one of those
meaningful?

Albert

unread,
Aug 7, 2004, 9:30:44 PM8/7/04
to
Phill wrote:
<snip>

> Just because you yourself wouldn't be aware of the fact that you were
> travelling back in time doesnt mean that you cant do it.

Of course not. I travel back in time on a regular basis and I
have *never* been aware of it.

Meme Warrior

unread,
Aug 10, 2004, 12:03:42 AM8/10/04
to

"Albert" <alwa...@tcac.net> wrote in message
news:10hb3eh...@corp.supernews.com...

> Phill wrote:
> <snip>
> > Just because you yourself wouldn't be aware of the fact that you were
> > travelling back in time doesnt mean that you cant do it.
>
> Of course not. I travel back in time on a regular basis and I
> have *never* been aware of it.
>
Exactally, how is "traveling back in time" actually have any meaning without
reference.

block

unread,
Aug 12, 2004, 12:17:12 PM8/12/04
to

"Albert" <alwa...@tcac.net> wrote in message
news:10hb3eh...@corp.supernews.com...
> Phill wrote:
> <snip>
> > Just because you yourself wouldn't be aware of the fact that you were
> > travelling back in time doesnt mean that you cant do it.
>
> Of course not. I travel back in time on a regular basis and I
> have *never* been aware of it.

The word "travel" should be eliminated. Moving instantaneously to a
different time slot would be more appropriate. That would work either
forwards or backwards.
For starters, you youngsters (apologies for calling you that, I am one
myself) should go visit some REALLY elderly people and see how they "live"
in the memories. This in essence is time travel.
It is possible, once you have control of your mind, and I mean total
control - in all concepts including "feelings" like amusement, bravery etc
to BE anywhere in time.
What would be the point of history and all the wars and all the experiences
if only to be forgotten?
There must be some great masterplan whereby somewhere in the future, each
and every one of us will recollect countless previous lives - right from
maybe the day the light first shone through some wonderfully designed
stained glass window in a newly mathematically designed arched high level
Cathedral and the "feeling" that day to being a King and riding that white
horse into war (bearing in mind that the horses are rather fond of time
travel too!).
History is better on reflection. That moment you died for King and
country - at the time was death, but on reflection in time travel would be
the moment you are instantaneously transported back here to that nice cup of
tea that is still piping hot. Why you have only been away a second and
fought that way and died that hero, you were that man, you ARE that man, all
in a moment of memory that some call time travel - others call (huh)
reincarnation, others call (hmm?) karma - all of which and what and how make
you the man you are and WHY you feel proud when maybe you have nothing to be
proud of, and why you have a wry sense of humour, and why you walk tall.
A moment maybe, so many kings, so many wars, so many brave men - all for
what?
To learn about in our history books?
Or to one day wonder about it all.
"Hey, tell me why..............." Tell you why? No, I think you will be
shown precisely why .


Jack

unread,
Aug 12, 2004, 2:15:14 PM8/12/04
to
Albert <alwa...@tcac.net> wrote in message news:<10hb3eh...@corp.supernews.com>...
> Phill wrote:
> <snip>
> > Just because you yourself wouldn't be aware of the fact that you were
> > travelling back in time doesnt mean that you cant do it.
>
> Of course not. I travel back in time on a regular basis and I
> have *never* been aware of it.

I have Amnesia and Deja Vu :) I can't remember what's going to happen!

Joen5

unread,
Aug 13, 2004, 12:22:27 AM8/13/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message news:<%xXPc.1084$J06.344@pd7tw2no>...


I thought I warped space-time once by ending up in the near future,
but it turns out I just forgot to set my watch an hour ahead.

Blood Raven

unread,
Aug 26, 2004, 5:30:27 PM8/26/04
to
joenem...@yahoo.com (Joen5) wrote in message news:<d436d508.04081...@posting.google.com>...

The fun of time traveling is being outside of time. So time machine
will have to have two parts. one turning back time of the world, and
one shielding us from it. hmm..... back to the drawing board. ^_^

Meme Warrior

unread,
Aug 31, 2004, 4:25:21 PM8/31/04
to

"Blood Raven" <iwlmt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:32e3ae0f.04082...@posting.google.com...

alright somebody actually understood what I was getting at!


gil...@hotmail.com

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 7:52:36 AM9/6/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@meme.mem> wrote in message news:<R85Zc.274133$M95.80304@pd7tw1no>...

> > > > Travel backwards in time is like traveling forward in time only
> revearsed.

Yes, e.g. you might be going backwards without knowing it.

Brandy

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 6:41:15 PM9/6/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@memeist.com> wrote in message news:<yOXRc.65502$gE.25518@pd7tw3no>...

Time travel is possible and probable. Anything is possible in the
world we live in. Anyway, how can you say something is definately
impossible without knowing everything there is to know about it. That
would mean you'd have to have vast knowledge to definiately declare
something absolute impossible.

Meme Warrior

unread,
Sep 6, 2004, 10:11:01 PM9/6/04
to

"Brandy" <brandyw...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:c5027cfb.0409...@posting.google.com...

Perhaps time travel is possible, but knowing everything about anything IS
impossible. Philosophy is can't exist unless we forget that from time to
time.


Brandy

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 12:01:25 PM9/8/04
to
"Meme Warrior" <Me...@meme.mem> wrote in message news:<VM8%c.335244$gE.258023@pd7tw3no>...

Well knowing everything is possible, but not on our plane of
conscientious existance is the way I think.

Meme Warrior

unread,
Sep 8, 2004, 12:42:51 PM9/8/04
to

And what plane of conscientiousness would this be?


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages