God debate

1 view

nickers

Jul 20, 2004, 4:20:12 AM7/20/04
Bravo Joey! Having spent my life being told by members of a particular
religion that I would be going to hell because I was
a: Not of their religion
b: Of no practicing religion
c: Not baptised into any church
and d: only set foot inside a church for weddings, funerals and
christenings;
I have had it with people who push their religious views onto others.
When you think of the true diefinition of the word "Christian", it
means that one lives their life in a kind, caring manner, showing
compassion for others, being open minded and accepting. My in laws
have just left their church and religion as their church now ordains
gay ministers. A Christian attitude? I think not. I don not condemn
people who believe or don't believe, (no matter how hypocritical they
are )but am constantly condemned by fanatics for being a non believer.

Joey

Jul 21, 2004, 2:22:39 PM7/21/04
I think one of the best bumper stickers I ever saw was one that said "
God please save me from your followers". I personally believe in god
but I don't
let christians or atheists influence my opinion about who he is. I
tend to think of him more in the way the american indians thought of
him. And the only parts of the bible I pay any attention to is what
christ said or did (Mathew mark luke and john) everything else is a
bunch of fanatical rhetoric, and doesn't follow the premise that god
is a kind being who understands. Remember, that some of the books of
the bible may have been written by people who were inspired but the
final editing was done by rulers and politicians. I feel that just
about all religions in their true form have something valuable to add,
as well as something detrimental to detract. But as christ said "those
who aren't against us are for us" and I have yet to find a religion
that does not condemn all of the others.

James Cook

Jul 25, 2004, 3:00:49 AM7/25/04
You will like "St. Mawr" by D.H. Lawrence. It has elements of anamism
("reality spirits"), polytheism, and an interesting soliloquy with
Christianity as well. The other story in the book, "The Escaped Cock", is an
alternative Easter story.
I am an atheist and I thoroughly enjoyed these stories, although he is
clearly writing from your position. I tell my Christian friends about it,
and they quietly put the book down.

"Joey" <res0...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Megan

Jul 30, 2004, 8:50:23 PM7/30/04
"James Cook" <cook...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<vbJMc.7$8k.5@fed1read03>...

I believe the figgure of god was concieved in the Europeans minds so
they could have a higher power and to blame all the stuff that
happened on someone else besides themselves.
Megan

Jasmine

Jul 31, 2004, 9:16:12 PM7/31/04
nicand...@yahoo.com (nickers) wrote in message news:<9000e2d0.04072...@posting.google.com>...

I believe in God and am a practicing Christian and it seems to me that
you are right about at least one thing in your view of Christianity.
Christianity is not about going to church or worshipping God in a
legalistic manner. Early Christianity was not embellished by
religiousity, piety, or perfect church attendance. It began as a
result of Christs example of love towards humanity. Christianity is
about having relationship with God. When Jesus was on earth, He was
friends with the worst of all sinners and He didn't condemn them, He
loved them. Then, as a result of that love He showed, inner change was
invoked. I am sorry that you feel condemned by Christians.
Condemnation is not what Christianity is about.

This is my own personal poll:
many people that I talk to who aren't Christian feel empty inside,
like nothing they have or pursue satisfies them. Have you felt this
way?

Jas

Jack

Aug 2, 2004, 12:04:55 AM8/2/04
jasmin...@hotmail.com (Jasmine) wrote in message news:<1b75983d.04073...@posting.google.com>...

It is interesting that since the beginning of human intellect,
the questions of 'Where did I come from' and 'What will happen to me
when I die?' have been of a concern to each individual. Early burials
of humans with tools and food show that our predescessors believed in
an afterlife.
Dreams have had powerful influences of suggesting a world beyond
our consciousness, even the bible talks about Joseph in this way.
Many inventors have relied on inspirations from dreams to help them
develop new inventions and concepts. Fasting and vision-quests have
been used for eons around the globe to help guide people through their
lives. Dream interpretation, Hypnotism, Past Life regression,
Reincarnation, meditation, visions, precognition, Near Death
Experiences. To me, these all point to a 'Stream of Consciousness'
beyond our wake state. We can slightly dip into it when we dream, it
influences our collective intelligence by providing our scientists
with insights, to better develop our world. It provides religious
leaders with a deep faith that they can pass onto their flock. Why
NOT conscious beings from this stream (who have passed before us), who
can find a channel to communicate to us? Perhaps God, and his/her
followers (Jesus, Bhudda, Abraham, Mohammad, and others)
communicates/communicated to some lucky people in this manner. You do
not have to be 'Christian' to feel 'something inside', merely belief
in a purpose in your own life without condemnation for your beliefs.
People who have something to believe in and have a strong faith in
their belief are happier on the whole. I have a hard time believing
that people can believe that once they are dead, then that is it;
utter blackness and nothing. It is the faith in SOMETHING or SOMEONE
that gets you through the bad times. It bothers me that a religion
would condemn a person for not believing in what they teach. If the
religion/belief teaches love and respect for others, and provides a
person with inner peace so that they can achieve their true potential
without fear, how can it be condemned?

Shailesh

Aug 2, 2004, 10:47:44 AM8/2/04
Human nothing but upgraded version of Amiba .
Part of Evolution , once dead part of Air,Soil .
Machine which evolved enough to think,feel but denies fact that it's
simply part of soil & gases . Some time when can not find answers to
question people find shortcut when they found words like GOD to
terminate search . When lots of problem come & nothing is there to
helpout then offen weaker people need some thing to support that they
name as GOD.

Jack

Aug 2, 2004, 3:28:04 PM8/2/04
megd...@earthlink.net (Megan) wrote in message
> I believe the figure of god was concieved in the Europeans minds so

> they could have a higher power and to blame all the stuff that
> happened on someone else besides themselves.
> Megan

Actually, most cultures had Gods millenia before Europeons. I
suspect that these were developed by people in the early tribes who
sought to reduce the power of the Chief, or leaders of their tribes.

A person who was not of the Chief's family, who learned to heal
or interpret dreams would have great sway over the tribe and could use
that power to ensure a balance.

A 'Shaman' was feared by the tribe and was able to blame
misfortune on people he didn't like, including the Chief.

Jack

Aug 2, 2004, 3:31:41 PM8/2/04
sda...@mahindrabt.com (Shailesh) wrote in message news:<c3908e50.04080...@posting.google.com>...

True, people are made of the minerals of the earth as well as all
other life forms including amoeba, BUT what gives them 'Life'? What
spark is present that keeps the bodies moving? Some believe that it
is the 'Life Force' which dwells in all living beings, that when the
organic/mineral body stops functioning (dies), goes back to become
part of the 'all great creator of life' energy.

Jim Cook

Aug 6, 2004, 7:27:49 PM8/6/04
"Jasmine" <jasmin...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Jas,

Never. We're feeling quite full up right now. Better luck next time - and
stop making stuff up! Belief in a god isn't worth it. It's better to protect
your integrity.

gil...@hotmail.com

Aug 10, 2004, 11:46:04 AM8/10/04
"Jim Cook" <cook...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<QOUQc.4124$Lj.1954@fed1read03>...

Jas is right and you have read it. Remember, ignorance will be no
excuse when your time comes.

Kind regards
Gilbert Gerber

Milan Klima

Aug 23, 2004, 9:16:35 PM8/23/04
gil...@hotmail.com (GIL...@HOTMAIL.COM) wrote in message news:<41f08074.04081...@posting.google.com>...

The typical stupid threats of the religionist freaks. Piss off you and
your medieval ideas of hell.

regards
Milan

gil...@hotmail.com

Aug 24, 2004, 11:42:34 AM8/24/04
mtk...@yahoo.com (Milan Klima) wrote in message news:<afe6b1c8.04082...@posting.google.com>...

At least it got you thinking, we can do only that much.

regards
Gilbert Gerber

Milan Klima

Aug 24, 2004, 9:35:36 PM8/24/04
gil...@hotmail.com (GIL...@HOTMAIL.COM) wrote in message news:<41f08074.04082...@posting.google.com>...

Dont flatter yourself. If you could think you would not be posting that garbage.

regards
Milan

gil...@hotmail.com

Aug 25, 2004, 12:12:00 PM8/25/04
> Dont flatter yourself.

> regards
> Mila

Blood Raven

Aug 26, 2004, 4:11:54 PM8/26/04
> > Dont flatter yourself.
>
> > regards
> > Mila

There is not a swich in our body that one can flip and turn Gay.
Gayness is just a matter of degree. That's how we got straight
,Bi and gay. Some people are just more gay than others.
However, women as well as men come in all kinds of varietys.
There are girly men and manly women. And if one try hard enough,
there will be a suitable mate to be found in the opposite sex.
The back way.... is not even a way and surely not the only way.
Don't get me wrong, I am not against gays. But it does show a
lack of faith in God to think that he did not made a mate for
someone, and that someone have to go the back way and can not have
a kid. Men and Women are born on a 1:1 bases. For every man that turn
gay, there is a single women. And single women might end up sharing
a guy with others knowingly or not. Guys already have trouble keeping
their pants on without all the singel girls out there. I sympasize
with gays, but understand the opposition too. And not embraceing the
gays is not something uncristian.
(I learned English by watching Friends, pardon my spelling)

gil...@hotmail.com

Aug 27, 2004, 4:26:13 AM8/27/04
iwlmt...@hotmail.com (Blood Raven) wrote in message news:<32e3ae0f.04082...@posting.google.com>...

I don&#8217;t agree, we are male or female. The "male type-ness or
girl type-ness characteristics" we see in people should not be
confused with them being male or female. This is my opinion, but I
found your article pretty funny still. Regarding my last comment, we
where just getting side tracked. (just rubbish)

Blood Raven

Aug 27, 2004, 7:40:53 PM8/27/04
^_^ Thx for the compliment. Me so funny(hahaha...)

But I am serious. The Governor guy for new jersy willed himself into 2

marrages with women. Why? Did he not get grossed out?

Was his 2 marriages somewhat enjoyable at first?

Before any experience, does a gay man wanted to be make love to as a women?

Are they doomed by their creator to be fruitless?

I was trying to connect gayness with a lack of faith and will.

There are happyness to be found in sin, some people just have less risistance

for some sin. Why is this not good is because, as much as our world changed,

it is still better to rais a kid in a mom and pop family.

Parents are expected to be selfless to a degree and that means to give up

some sexal fanticy for the stibility of the family and the happyness of kids.

If 20% of men turned gay, will 20% of women trun lesbian?

Is this trand good for our society as a whole?

Wanting people to give up one kind of pleasure for another kind of pleasure,

wanting people to be fruitful and mutiply.... it is not uncristion.

I am not a hater, i am as friendly as possible around gay people.

but i want to stand up for cristion folks who have problem embraceing gayness.

wbarwell

Sep 4, 2004, 10:10:45 AM9/4/04
GIL...@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:

No, hellfire threats are meant to make one stop thinking and
cower in naked animal fear.
People who make such threats stopped thinking long ago.

There is no hell. Its a feebleminded myth from ancient
and deeply ignorant billy goat herders.

For thoose of us who can think and reason and thus have
abandoned the idea of a vengeful invisble sy fairy, yoir empty threat
simoly makes us think, "Well here's another unthinking
fearful fool, cowering in fear over nothing."
Just think, you may well burn in hell because
you chose the wrong religion. You chose the Bible over the Quran.

--
Bush added $2 trillion in national debt in three years. The
biggest addition of national debt of any president. There are

Cheerful Charlie

gil...@hotmail.com

Sep 7, 2004, 9:34:57 AM9/7/04
wbarwell <wbar...@munnnged.mylinuxisp.com> wrote in message news:<4139d9b7$0$173$811e...@news.mylinuxisp.com>...

> No, hellfire threats are meant to make one stop thinking and
> cower in naked animal fear.
> People who make such threats stopped thinking long ago.
>
> There is no hell. Its a feebleminded myth from ancient
> and deeply ignorant billy goat herders.
>
> For thoose of us who can think and reason and thus have
> abandoned the idea of a vengeful invisble sy fairy, yoir empty threat
> simoly makes us think, "Well here's another unthinking
> fearful fool, cowering in fear over nothing."
> Just think, you may well burn in hell because
> you chose the wrong religion. You chose the Bible over the Quran.

Yippy, another happy, anti-Christ!!!