Why travel in time is impossible

salva_...@hotmail.com

Sep 7, 2004, 3:22:44 PM9/7/04
I'm very interested in knowing the science knowledges about time
travel. But unfortunately I've just found philosophy ideas. Please if
somebody can tell me the implications about of the space relativity
theory of the actual theories about this subject. I like philosophy
but to know about the Universe I prefer science.

HarryHaller

Sep 7, 2004, 3:23:00 PM9/7/04

Brandy

Sep 8, 2004, 11:36:14 AM9/8/04
salva_...@hotmail.com (HarryHaller) wrote in message news:<51a2b574.04090...@posting.google.com>...

This is great information: http://www.hawking.org.uk/home/hindex.html

Meme Warrior

Sep 8, 2004, 1:42:38 PM9/8/04

"Brandy" <brandyw...@gmail.com> wrote in message

-Time Travel Paradox -

If I travel back in time and kill my grandmother what will happen? and why?

Ron Peterson

Sep 9, 2004, 1:42:57 PM9/9/04
salva_...@hotmail.com (HarryHaller) wrote in message news:<51a2b574.04090...@posting.google.com>...

You can travel forward in time, there are two ways to keep from aging
at the normal rate. One is to travel very fast, but the acceleration,
if kept reasonable will prevent you from going fast enough to
significantly retard aging. The other possibility is to be frozen and
then revived at a later date.

--
Ron

Susan Sez

Sep 10, 2004, 2:30:18 PM9/10/04
salva_...@hotmail.com (HarryHaller) wrote in message news:<51a2b574.04090...@posting.google.com>...

Time travel is speculation with little or no empiricism, so
rationalism is also what any opinions in science will be forced to
largely rely upon. A chosen set of axioms that a physicist is
extrapolating from in regard to the subject doesn't mean it's the one
that reality will is based on.

A case in point is David Deutsch's unconventional and non-classical
explanation of what would happen in time travel, which is grounded in
his multiverse / quantum computation paradigm. I don't feel this is on
the web anywhere, but it was published in an old issue of Scientific
American (March, 1994). "The quantum physics of time travel". By D.
Deutsch, & M. Lockwood. Vol. 270(3), 68-74.

_

Remus

Sep 11, 2004, 3:30:33 PM9/11/04
salva_...@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<51a2b574.04090...@posting.google.com>...

Probably as usual, the best thing to do is to consult astronomy
and black hole observations, and particle accelerators.

There have been some plans for the detection of gravitational
waves.

Maybe if you shot some protons or electrons to near light speed
and then deflected downward, and observed the effects from gravity
or tried to make tachyons, or made a ring vertical rather than
horizontal that might help.

Is there a name for the 'Fermi paradox' (space) equivalent for
time travel (time)?