Chez Watt Vote 01OCT02

Ferrous Patella

Nov 1, 2002, 1:21:09 PM11/1/02

==========
A genetics lesson:
The X chromosome is not maternally inherited. Females get one copy from
their fathers and one copy from their mothers.

==========
A quote from a famous IDist:
"As for sensitivity, however, it seems that there are good functional
reasons for an inverted retina. In the human body, for instance, retinal
cells require the most oxygen of any cells. But when do they require the
incident light is minimal. Having a blood supply in front of the
photoreceptors guarantees that the retinal cells will have the oxygen they
need to be as sensitive as possible when incident light is minimal."

==========
Just what or whom is being called a Neanderthal here:
is there any way to be sure that the DNA did not arise from the
flaking off of cells from the present-day human Neanderthal?

==========
A lesson in the birds and the bees (with two independent nominations):
You don't seem to understand the nature of sexual reproduction. In sexual
reproduction, the cells don't reproduce. Rather, they produce little
nonliving packets of genetic material [gametes - eggs and sperm] that
combine with one another [fertilization or conception] to produce a new
living thing.

==========
This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
I included the nominating material too:
>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>> differentiate anything you throw at me.
>
> Fact from fantasy?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

==========
[He] is doing an extrapolation instead of an interpolation, so he must be
using excrement rather than increment.

==========
A lesson in randomness:
"Being a moron doesn't preclude one from making
truthful statements. It's the same with the creationists."

==========
Paleogenitics:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't we have been able to code the
> DNA evolution back from mankind to a one celled amoeba? We have all
> this information on DNA yet are unable to trace a direct lineage from
> human to amoeba. If evolution were true, we should be able to do this.
>
> Consider this for a moment.

==========
Logistics:
> >No circular reasoning, just your total lack of knowledge of logic.
> >You assert it (the creator, in this case), you prove it. But, as
> >you've already admitted, there isn't even any objective evidence of
> >your creator, let alone proof.
>
> Logic is highly overrated...;0)

==========
A lesson on the Fairy God Father:
I know evolution is false cause it has no poof.

When G-d created the universe, all of a sudden, "poof" it was there.

Evolution has no "poof".

==========
Thermodymamicx:
Heck, what are the odds of a pile of junk assembling itself into a
profitable junkyard?

A poster gets CWed on his first post to TO:
see
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2E232052

==========
This was "almost Chez Watt worthy" but, like hand granades, close is good
enough for CW:
> Scientists in the US have discovered a way to make hair glow green,
> yellow, blue or red by using genes from tropical fish.
>
> Researchers at a laboratory in Maine have discovered a way to
> genetically engineer hair so it will glow under a florescent blue light
> but look normal in the day.
>
> It came about as part of a project to try to find ways to stop hair
> falling out during chemotherapy treatment but scientists are not ruling
> out a cosmetic use of their work.
>
> Doctor Robert Hoffman, president of the company behind the project, told
> the LA Times: "What the heck, I'd rather see people use a safe gene than
> toxic hair dyes."

===========
There is much consistency in what I say if you just don't look too close
:-)

==========
A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG

Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"

==========
>The rate of growth (expansionism) of Japan over
>the 1600 year period was about 0.05% per year. The rate of
>expansionism of Isreal in the last 54 years was ~1.5% a 30
>fold greater rate of expansionism.

==========
An anology of an anology:
> > "The evolutionist should not feel offended since he and the vermin
> > purportedly share a common ancestor."
> >
> You share a common ancestor with Saddam Hussein. Would you like it if
> people decided, on that basis, to treat the two of you
> interchangeably?

==========
A lesson in reletivity:
> one poster wrote:
>
> >> Minor nit, c is the speed of light in free space. Light travels at
> >> different speeds through various media, and the speed depends on
> >> the wavelength of the light. IIRC, in a medium the speed of light
> >> is given by sqrt(1/[mu epsilon]), where mu is the permeability of
> >> the medium and epsilon is the permittivity of the medium, both of
> >> which vary with frequency.
> >>>
> I replied:
>
> This is false!! Light only ever travels at the constant speed 'c'
> for all observers regardless of the reference frame that they are
> in and regardless of the material medium that light is traversing.
>
> This is what Special Relativity states categorically and unequivocally.

==========
And another:
>> It does not save you from the 'Conservation of Mass' desaster.
>> Not all the energy released in converted into photons. A lot goes
>> into shockwaves, chemical reactions and kinetic energy of debris
>> flying about or the expansion of heated air
>
> Those forms of energy have mass, too (when using the concepts from
> special relativity)

==========
No comment necessary:
Nonetheless, an attempt is made to get the best answer possible (we leave
the glorification of ignorance to the ID advocates).

==========
More on ID
> - Perhaps, but if it can be demonstrated that design was required
> to create these biochemical systems; that's all that matters, what
> is being sought is the correct explanation. Of course, there is
> the issue of where the designer came from, but that is an issue
> for philosophers and theologians, science need only concern itself
> with the origin of the systems we can directly observe.

==========
An Electric Proof of God (at):
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S6C321052
==========
The entire "Shooting yourself in the foot..." thread, starting at:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B25413052
(credit to go to the OP)
--
Ferrous Patella

"I love the wry motto of the Paleontological Society
(meant both literally and figuratively, for hammers are the main tool
of our trade): Frango ut patefaciam — I break in order to reveal."

Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)

Ron Okimoto

Nov 1, 2002, 1:51:56 PM11/1/02

Ferrous Patella wrote:

> ==========
> A genetics lesson:
> The X chromosome is not maternally inherited. Females get one copy from
> their fathers and one copy from their mothers.

I'll accept the nomination, but I think that Zoe's response was the nominee.

Ron Okimoto

VBM

Nov 1, 2002, 2:24:00 PM11/1/02

"Ferrous Patella" <mail1...@pop.net> wrote in message

> A poster gets CWed on his first post to TO:
> see
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2E232052

Um, I would at least like to point out that the nominator said that it was
meant as a complimentary nomination, not a usual "I can't believe he said
that" nomination! :0)

C. Thompson

Nov 1, 2002, 3:10:32 PM11/1/02
Ferrous Patella wrote:

> ==========
> This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my
> favorite, so I included the nominating material too:
>>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>> differentiate anything you throw at me.
>>
>> Fact from fantasy?
>>
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
> That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!
>
> ==========

That one please. I *still* wish I had said it.

Chris

Cyde Weys

Nov 1, 2002, 3:44:06 PM11/1/02

"Ferrous Patella" <mail1...@pop.net> wrote in message

> A lesson in reletivity:

> > I replied:
> >
> > This is false!! Light only ever travels at the constant speed 'c'
> > for all observers regardless of the reference frame that they are
> > in and regardless of the material medium that light is traversing.
> >
> > This is what Special Relativity states categorically and unequivocally.

This one's good, but for the winner I'm picking ... this one!:

> ==========
> The entire "Shooting yourself in the foot..." thread, starting at:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?B25413052
> (credit to go to the OP)
> --
> Ferrous Patella
>
> "I love the wry motto of the Paleontological Society
> (meant both literally and figuratively, for hammers are the main tool

> of our trade): Frango ut patefaciam - I break in order to reveal."
>
> Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)

macaddicted

Nov 1, 2002, 3:54:11 PM11/1/02
Ferrous Patella <mail1...@pop.net> wrote:

> ==========
> Thermodymamicx:
> Heck, what are the odds of a pile of junk assembling itself into a
> profitable junkyard?

There are several good ones. But this one finally gives me a great
comback for the junkyard-to-airplane argument.
--
macaddicted
"The great tragedy of science - the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis

R. Baldwin

Nov 1, 2002, 4:03:04 PM11/1/02
I'm going with:

> ==========
> A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
> I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG
>
> Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"

Although this one is a close second:

catshark

Nov 1, 2002, 4:56:25 PM11/1/02
On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Ferrous Patella
<mail1...@pop.net> wrote:

Tough month!

>==========
>This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
>I included the nominating material too:
>>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>> differentiate anything you throw at me.
>>
>> Fact from fantasy?
>>
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
>That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

That's #1 (including the nomination!).

>==========
>[He] is doing an extrapolation instead of an interpolation, so he must be
>using excrement rather than increment.

# 2.

>==========
>A lesson in randomness:
>"Being a moron doesn't preclude one from making
>truthful statements. It's the same with the creationists."

>==========
>The entire "Shooting yourself in the foot..." thread, starting at:
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?B25413052
>(credit to go to the OP)

Maybe a special "group effort" award in addition to the official
winner?

---------------
J. Pieret
---------------

We have done amazingly well in creating a cultural movement,
but we must not exaggerate ID's successes on the scientific front.

- William A. Dembski -

Ferrous Patella

Nov 1, 2002, 6:48:38 PM11/1/02
Can someone tell me watt month it is (see subject)?

Brian M. Scott

Nov 1, 2002, 8:00:41 PM11/1/02
On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Ferrous Patella
<mail1...@pop.net> wrote:

A *very* tough batch.

>This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
>I included the nominating material too:
>>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>> differentiate anything you throw at me.

>> Fact from fantasy?

>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

>That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

This one, but only if the nomination is included. Without it,
I'd go for:

>[He] is doing an extrapolation instead of an interpolation, so he must be
>using excrement rather than increment.

>==========

>The entire "Shooting yourself in the foot..." thread, starting at:
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?B25413052
>(credit to go to the OP)

I'm with catshark: this deserves some sort of collective award.

Brian

Martin Crisp

Nov 1, 2002, 8:43:52 PM11/1/02
On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 5:21:09 +1100, Ferrous Patella wrote
(in message <Xns92B96A1889446...@199.171.54.215>):

[snip]

> This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
> I included the nominating material too:
>>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>> differentiate anything you throw at me.
>>
>> Fact from fantasy?
>>
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
> That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

Does it for me.

Have Fun
Martin
--
If you want to focus the attention on something nonexistant, then
you first have to fool yourself and then your audience, by

Almost always SMASHed

PGP Key (ID 0xED55A6D0) Fingerprint:
A7C7 F865 B317 ABBB B10E D8AC F4AD 347D ED55 A6D0

John Wilkins

Nov 1, 2002, 8:56:13 PM11/1/02
Ferrous Patella <mail1...@pop.net> wrote:

> Can someone tell me watt month it is (see subject)?

It's the 0th of 1OC, in the year of our Lord T02. Sheesh, can't you
read?

--
John Wilkins
[I]magine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, "...interesting

John Wilkins

Nov 1, 2002, 9:09:27 PM11/1/02
Brian M. Scott <b.s...@csuohio.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Ferrous Patella
> <mail1...@pop.net> wrote:
>
> A *very* tough batch.
>
> >This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
> >I included the nominating material too:
>
> >> Fact from fantasy?
>
> >GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> >GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> >GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
> >That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!
>
> This one, but only if the nomination is included. Without it,
> I'd go for:
>
> >[He] is doing an extrapolation instead of an interpolation, so he must be
> >using excrement rather than increment.

I go for this (I nominated it).

> >==========
> >The entire "Shooting yourself in the foot..." thread, starting at:
> >http://makeashorterlink.com/?B25413052
> >(credit to go to the OP)
>
> I'm with catshark: this deserves some sort of collective award.
>
> Brian

It deserves a place - suitably formatted and edited - on the UoE pages.

John McKendry

Nov 1, 2002, 9:40:22 PM11/1/02
This one for me:

> ==========
> This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
> I included the nominating material too:
> >> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
> >> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
> >> differentiate anything you throw at me.
> >
> > Fact from fantasy?
> >
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
> That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

The reply has the graceful economy and precise inevitability of poetry.
Or as someone else already observed, I wish I had said it.

Honorable mention to this:

> ==========
> A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
> I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG
>
> Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"
>
> ==========

Has a charming blissfully-unclear-on-the-concept quality that I
really like.

John

Roy

Nov 2, 2002, 5:01:31 AM11/2/02

Ferrous Patella wrote:
> ==========
> This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
> I included the nominating material too:
>
>>>I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>>and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>>differentiate anything you throw at me.
>>
>>Fact from fantasy?
>>

> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
> That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!
>
> ==========

An' the crowd goes WILDDDDD!!! !-0, 1-0, 1-0!!!

Roy

Nantko Schanssema

Nov 2, 2002, 6:42:17 AM11/2/02
Rats, it's a stiff competition, this one.

I stay with:

>==========
>This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my favorite, so
>I included the nominating material too:
>>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>> differentiate anything you throw at me.
>>
>> Fact from fantasy?
>>
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
>That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

but this one got quite some coffee in my keyboard:

>==========
>A genetics lesson:
>The X chromosome is not maternally inherited. Females get one copy from
>their fathers and one copy from their mothers.

as did:

>==========
>Thermodymamicx:
>Heck, what are the odds of a pile of junk assembling itself into a
>profitable junkyard?

with Grolsch lager.

Honorable mention should go to:

>==========
>A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
>I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG
>
>Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"

regards,
Nantko
--
Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.
(Robert A. Heinlein, Time Enough for Love)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~nantko/

Faux_Pseudo

Nov 2, 2002, 8:06:32 PM11/2/02
_.--- Ferrous Patella spoke in talk.origins --------._
> A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
> I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG
>
> Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"

That is the winner right there.

'---...____ Faux_Pseudo ________________...---~~~

--
.-')) http://asciipr0n.com/fp ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) New content ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

Faux_Pseudo

Nov 2, 2002, 8:13:21 PM11/2/02
_.--- John McKendry spoke in talk.origins --------._
> Honorable mention to this:
>> ==========
>> A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
>> I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG
>>
>> Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"
>>
>> ==========
>>
> Has a charming blissfully-unclear-on-the-concept quality that I
> really like.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.
- Douglas Adams

Mark Isaak

Nov 2, 2002, 9:15:58 PM11/2/02
On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:21:09 +0000 (UTC), Ferrous Patella
<mail1...@pop.net> wrote:

My vote:

>==========
>[He] is doing an extrapolation instead of an interpolation, so he must be
>using excrement rather than increment.
>
>==========

Do I get to vote again in another district?

--
Mark Isaak at...@earthlink.net
Don't read everything you belive.

Ferrous Patella

Nov 21, 2002, 11:51:15 AM11/21/02
For this month's winner, we need to have two poster come forward and
take a bow, the nominee and the nominator:

> This nomination (not the CW but the nomination itself) was my
> favorite, so I included the nominating material too:
>>> I have been trained in tensor calculus, partial derivatives
>>> and advanced statistics and probability. I will happily
>>> differentiate anything you throw at me.
>>
>> Fact from fantasy?
>>
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
> GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!
>
> That's it! Game over man! GAME OVER!

Although ever since someone suggested that this nomination -

> A good mnemonic for the amino acids:
> I just remember GAVLIP, PTT, CM ST LAH AG AG
>
> Sort of sounds like "gafflip, puhtuhtuh, come stuh la agh! agh!"

be set to opera, it has been going through my head to the tune of La
Donna e Mobile. (I thought that I would like to share that with
everyone.)

--
Ferrous Patella

Make a fast friend! Adopt a Greyhound.

^o o^
\ /

Marc Carter

Nov 21, 2002, 7:49:26 PM11/21/02
On Thursday 21 November 2002 11:51 am, Ferrous Patella caused some
electrons to represent:

Thank you, thank you. Now it is also going through *my* head to the tune
of Donna e Mobile.

And now I gotta go look 'em up so I know what they are...

Marc Carter
Assistant Professor, Itinerant Scientist,
Inveterate Skeptic, Former Surfer,
And completely Microsoft-free.

David Ewan Kahana

Nov 21, 2002, 9:57:29 PM11/21/02
On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:49:26 -0500, Marc Carter wrote:

> On Thursday 21 November 2002 11:51 am, Ferrous Patella caused some
> electrons to represent:
>

> Thank you, thank you. Now it is also going through *my* head to the

> tune of Donna e Mobile.
>
> And now I gotta go look 'em up so I know what they are...

ROFL.

gafflip puh tuh tuh tuh
come stuh la agh agh

La donna e mobile
qual plume al vento
muta d'accento
e di pensiero ...

Move over Joe Green!

David

Ferrous Patella

Nov 22, 2002, 11:35:35 AM11/22/02
news:pan.2002.11.22.02....@bnl.gov by David Ewan Kahana
<d...@bnl.gov>:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 19:49:26 -0500, Marc Carter wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 21 November 2002 11:51 am, Ferrous Patella caused some
>> electrons to represent:

[...]

>>> Although ever since someone suggested that this nomination -

>>> be set to opera, it has been going through my head to the tune of La
>>> Donna e Mobile. (I thought that I would like to share that with
>>> everyone.)
>>>

>> Thank you, thank you. Now it is also going through *my* head to the
>> tune of Donna e Mobile.

Gotcha

>> And now I gotta go look 'em up so I know what they are...

> ROFL.
>
> gafflip puh tuh tuh tuh
> come stuh la agh agh
>
> La donna e mobile
> qual plume al vento
> muta d'accento
> e di pensiero ...
>
> Move over Joe Green!

As a kid growing up on Brookly AFB (in 'bama), I thought that the song was
about the personification of the local Gulf port city.