WingNutDaily columnist asks: What do evolutionists fear about creationism?

1 view

Jason Spaceman

Aug 9, 2001, 5:41:46 AM8/9/01

William Mc Hale

Aug 9, 2001, 9:00:50 AM8/9/01
Jason Spaceman <I...@eat.spammers.for.breakfast> wrote:
: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23980

Hmm, the article was obviously written by someone who A. Does not
understand the law (The Supreme Court has ruled that Religion cannot be
taught in schools and that "scientific" creationism is Religion). B. Does
not understand Evolution. C. Does not understand Science.

I particularly liked how he talked about teaching multiple theories for
every other scientific subject. The thing he forgot to mention is that
multiple theories are only taught when each theory is considered possible.
They don't teach Aristoltian Physics any more.

You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
even teach creationism.

--
Bill

Life's A Bitch, And Then You're Reincarnated.
Home page - http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~wmchal1

Aron-Ra

Aug 9, 2001, 1:08:42 PM8/9/01

William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu> wrote in message

> Jason Spaceman <I...@eat.spammers.for.breakfast> wrote:
> : http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23980
>
> Hmm, the article was obviously written by someone who A. Does not
> understand the law (The Supreme Court has ruled that Religion cannot be
> taught in schools and that "scientific" creationism is Religion). B. Does
> not understand Evolution. C. Does not understand Science.

D, Does not understand journalism, which is supposed to be unbiased.

E. Does not understand Creationism or the Bible, which he thinks was
written by Moses.

Aron-Ra

William Mc Hale

Aug 9, 2001, 4:38:16 PM8/9/01
Aron-Ra <ilc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

: William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu> wrote in message

Well I was willing to give him a pass on D because it was a commentary
which can be biased and E because tradition held that Moses wrote the
Torah (though modern scholars now believe that Torah had a number of
different authors, particularly Genesis).

--
Bill

Time Flies When You Don't Know What You're Doing.

Chris Merli

Aug 9, 2001, 5:36:27 PM8/9/01
Among the many misconceptions, errors and outright lies, my favorite line
was this one.

"Any discussion of Creationism is probably best taken up in a social studies
classroom or [now get this] a literature class [as if the Bible were nothing
more than a great published work]."

As if any decent writer would consider the bible great writing.

"Jason Spaceman" <I...@eat.spammers.for.breakfast> wrote in message
> http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=23980

Buckler

Aug 9, 2001, 10:25:36 PM8/9/01
On 9 Aug 2001 09:00:50 -0400, William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu>
wrote:

>You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
>even teach creationism.

Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
Schools were soaked in creationism. What do they do instead?

Buckler

Spam block in use. To respond via email, remove the third letter of the alphabet from my username.

Pat James

Aug 9, 2001, 11:16:56 PM8/9/01
On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:25:36 -0500, Buckler wrote
(in message <pir6ntcvnpnrr6bpn...@4ax.com>):

> On 9 Aug 2001 09:00:50 -0400, William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
>> even teach creationism.
>
> Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
> mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
> Schools were soaked in creationism.

nope

> What do they do instead?

biology.

--
Scientific creationism: a religious dogma combining massive ignorance with
incredible arrogance.

Al Petterson

Aug 9, 2001, 11:49:28 PM8/9/01
Buckler wrote:

> On 9 Aug 2001 09:00:50 -0400, William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu>
> wrote:
>
> >You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
> >even teach creationism.
>
> Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
> mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
> Schools were soaked in creationism. What do they do instead?

My mother, who taught in a Catholic school for many years, taught
theistic evolution -- i.e. "God made the world. Evolution is how He did
it." Catholics are not generally known for being prominent creationists
-- the Pope has said there's no conflict between evolution and Church
doctrine. (Of course, this doesn't mean individual Catholics might not
be evolution-deniers, either YEC or OEC. But the official position of
the church is that there is no theological barrier to accepting
evolution.)

--
"See that? That's the Moon. A long time ago, we used to go there."

Mark VandeWettering

Aug 10, 2001, 12:12:12 AM8/10/01
In article <pir6ntcvnpnrr6bpn...@4ax.com>, Buckler wrote:
> On 9 Aug 2001 09:00:50 -0400, William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu>
> wrote:
>
>>You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
>>even teach creationism.
>
> Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
> mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
> Schools were soaked in creationism. What do they do instead?

My experience of being raised a Catholic, attending Catholic grade
schools and a Jesuit High School was that this kind of Biblical literalism
just wasn't taught. Sure, as a kid you get read the story of Noah's
Ark and all that, but as often as not you'd be taught it as a moral
lesson. When taking religion classes in High School, I can only comment
that the Jesuit priests who instructed me viewed this kind of literalism
with mild bemusement.

I have little doubt that there exist (perhaps even a significant portion)
of Catholics who may adopt some creationists idea, but it was never taught
as dogma.

Mark

--
/* __ __ __ ____ __*/float m,a,r,k,v;main(i){for(;r<4;r+=.1){for(a=0;
/*| \/ |\ \ / /\ \ / /*/a<4;a+=.06){k=v=0;for(i=99;--i&&k*k+v*v<4;)m=k*k

Aron-Ra

Aug 10, 2001, 12:15:30 AM8/10/01

Al Petterson <aa...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote

> My mother, who taught in a Catholic school for many years, taught
> theistic evolution -- i.e. "God made the world. Evolution is how He did
> it." Catholics are not generally known for being prominent creationists
> -- the Pope has said there's no conflict between evolution and Church
> doctrine. (Of course, this doesn't mean individual Catholics might not
> be evolution-deniers, either YEC or OEC. But the official position of
> the church is that there is no theological barrier to accepting
> evolution.)

I was dating a very cute and sexy Catholic girl once about ten years ago.
I asked her what one event in history she would change if she could.
Her answer
her dead-pan literal serious answer was
"When Eve fucked the snake".

Aron-Ra

Michael Painter

Aug 10, 2001, 1:50:49 AM8/10/01

"Mark VandeWettering" <ma...@peewee.telescopemaking.org> wrote in message

> In article <pir6ntcvnpnrr6bpn...@4ax.com>, Buckler wrote:
> > On 9 Aug 2001 09:00:50 -0400, William Mc Hale <wmc...@umbc7.umbc.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
> >>even teach creationism.
> >
> > Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
> > mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
> > Schools were soaked in creationism. What do they do instead?
>
> My experience of being raised a Catholic, attending Catholic grade
> schools and a Jesuit High School was that this kind of Biblical literalism
> just wasn't taught. Sure, as a kid you get read the story of Noah's
> Ark and all that, but as often as not you'd be taught it as a moral
> lesson. When taking religion classes in High School, I can only comment
> that the Jesuit priests who instructed me viewed this kind of literalism
> with mild bemusement.
>
> I have little doubt that there exist (perhaps even a significant portion)
> of Catholics who may adopt some creationists idea, but it was never taught
> as dogma.
>
> Mark
>
> > Buckler
Me too. And they did not kick me out. They just asked that I not come back.
The jebs don't like people who "won't accept discipline". (I was rarely
caught for what I did>)

Greedo Buck

Aug 10, 2001, 5:06:36 AM8/10/01

"Chris Merli" <clm...@soltec.net> wrote in message

> Among the many misconceptions, errors and outright lies, my favorite line
> was this one.
>
> "Any discussion of Creationism is probably best taken up in a social
studies
> classroom or [now get this] a literature class [as if the Bible were
nothing
> more than a great published work]."
>
> As if any decent writer would consider the bible great writing.

The Bible is great stuff. Obviously it has errors and so on, but there is
some great material in there. It cannot be judged by todays editorial
standards, considering its oral origins.

Andrew Glasgow

Aug 10, 2001, 8:32:39 AM8/10/01
In article <3b73a414$0$69...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
"Greedo Buck" <gre...@newmail.net.remove> wrote:

I liked the movie better. ^_^

--
| Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
| SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical |

Rodjk

Aug 10, 2001, 12:03:48 PM8/10/01
"Greedo Buck" <gre...@newmail.net.remove> wrote in message news:<3b73a414$0$69...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>...

It has great unintended comedy. Even at age 13 I pretty muched giggled
my way through lots of it. Revelations brought me to tears (of
laughter). It convinced me, even at that young age, that I could never
be a literalist.
Rodjk

Victor Eijkhout

Aug 10, 2001, 12:45:30 PM8/10/01
Buckler <buck...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
> mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
> Schools were soaked in creationism.

Nah. Literalism is a protestant school of thought. I went to catholic
primary and secondary schools (dominican nuns and monks respectively)
and never heard anything close to creationism. We learned biology.
I do seem to recal one version that Genesis was an allegory for
first the universe, then the earth, then plants, then animals, but
even that was not teaching it as literal truth.

--
Victor Eijkhout
"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some

William Mc Hale

Aug 10, 2001, 6:32:04 PM8/10/01
: wrote:

:>You know the funny thing is, I went to Catholic schools, and they didn't
:>even teach creationism.

: Odd, that. I've been a public-school kid all throughout my
: mandated-school experience, and I sort of assumed that Catholic
: Schools were soaked in creationism. What do they do instead?

Can't speak for all Catholic School, but I was thought standard Darwinian
Evolution (compared with Lemarkian evolution and the reasons why Darwin's
won out). No mention of God was made in Biology class after an initial
prayer. Adam and Eve were mentioned in Religious classes (as well as the
anti-dualist reasons for the earlier 7 day creation story), but were never
thought as being literal history.

--
Bill

People who eat natural foods die from natural causes.

The Ghost In The Machine

Aug 12, 2001, 11:45:19 PM8/12/01
In talk.origins, Aron-Ra
<ilc...@hotmail.com>
wrote
on 10 Aug 2001 00:15:30 -0400
<edJc7.2160$2M3.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>:

Dumb question ... but what verse of the Bible did she think
*that* was from? :-)

--
ew...@aimnet.com -- insert random "wow, strange reasoning" here
EAC code #191 31d:22h:47m actually running Linux.

Aron-Ra

Aug 13, 2001, 1:55:36 AM8/13/01

The Ghost In The Machine <ew...@lexideb.athghost7038suus.net> wrote in
message news:slrn9nejbc...@lexideb.athghost7038suus.net...

> In talk.origins, Aron-Ra
> <ilc...@hotmail.com>
> wrote
> on 10 Aug 2001 00:15:30 -0400
> <edJc7.2160$2M3.1...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>:
> >
> >Al Petterson <aa...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote
> >
> >> My mother, who taught in a Catholic school for many years, taught
> >> theistic evolution -- i.e. "God made the world. Evolution is how He did
> >> it." Catholics are not generally known for being prominent creationists
> >> -- the Pope has said there's no conflict between evolution and Church
> >> doctrine. (Of course, this doesn't mean individual Catholics might not
> >> be evolution-deniers, either YEC or OEC. But the official position of
> >> the church is that there is no theological barrier to accepting
> >> evolution.)
> >
> >I was dating a very cute and sexy Catholic girl once about ten years ago.
> >I asked her what one event in history she would change if she could.
> >Her answer
> >her dead-pan literal serious answer was
> >"When Eve fucked the snake".
>
> Dumb question ... but what verse of the Bible did she think
> *that* was from? :-)

Who knows? All I know is she certainly was a pretty thing until she said
that.

Aron-Ra

Ian Harvey

Aug 13, 2001, 5:31:35 AM8/13/01

"Andrew Glasgow" <amg39.RE...@cornell.edu.INVALID> wrote in message

> In article <3b73a414$0$69...@echo-01.iinet.net.au>,
> "Greedo Buck" <gre...@newmail.net.remove> wrote:
>

> > The Bible is great stuff. Obviously it has errors and so on, but
> > there is some great material in there. It cannot be judged by todays
> > editorial standards, considering its oral origins.
>
> I liked the movie better. ^_^

Yeah, Battlestar Galactica was a classic.

Ian

Esquilax

Aug 13, 2001, 6:00:14 AM8/13/01
Aron-Ra <ilc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

as a public service:

http://www.odd-sex.com/ophidicism.htm

- explains this biblically proscribed practice, with pictures!

phil.

Steve Smith

Aug 14, 2001, 1:03:16 AM8/14/01

Not to mention that it would never get past the censors today.
Incest, sodomy, sacrifice: I can hear the cries of "What about the
children?!?!?!?" already.

Thomas Griffin

Aug 14, 2001, 1:25:49 PM8/14/01

Chris Merli wrote:

> Among the many misconceptions, errors and outright lies, my favorite line
> was this one.
>
> "Any discussion of Creationism is probably best taken up in a social studies
> classroom or [now get this] a literature class [as if the Bible were nothing
> more than a great published work]."
>
> As if any decent writer would consider the bible great writing.

It doesn't need to be "Great writing". The bottom line is that it is very
influential literature.
As much as fundamentalists decry hollywood, some of the most formulaic plot
lines, characters, and
imagery used in movies, television, and novels comes from the Bible.
I'm and atheist and think that Christian theology is intellectually and morally
reprehensible. However,
I think that any class on Western literature would be quite remiss if it didn't
explore the Bible as literature
and its impact on both literary imitators as well as those writers who were
rebelling against the
dominant world view that the Bible represents.

Walter Bushell

Aug 14, 2001, 3:32:24 PM8/14/01
Greedo Buck <gre...@newmail.net.remove> wrote:

I consider it very boring considering all the sex and violence.