Upper Paleolithic Siberian genome reveals dual ancestry of Native Americans

Oxyaena

Jul 30, 2021, 10:36:13 AM7/30/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

The study dates from 2013, but I still think it worth posting here. It
turns out that both Europeans and Native Americans derive a large chunk
of their ancestry from a now-extinct ghost population dubbed the Ancient
North Eurasians who inhabited Central Siberia during the Upper
Paleolithic. Native Americans specifically derive 38% of their ancestry
from this extinct human population. The date of admixture between the
Ancient North Eurasians happened after the initial split of the
proto-Native American population from East Asians but before their
arrival to and subsequent dispersal in the New World.

On a related note, it turns out the mytheme of a dog guarding the
underworld (think Cerberus) found across much of the Northern Hemisphere
may be inherited from the Ancient North Eurasians:

https://books.google.com/books?id=WXzKDwAAQBAJ (pp. 104-105)

Mark Isaak

Jul 30, 2021, 12:01:13 PM7/30/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 7/30/21 7:31 AM, Oxyaena wrote:
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4105016/
> [...]
> On a related note, it turns out the mytheme of a dog guarding the
> underworld (think Cerberus) found across much of the Northern Hemisphere
> may be inherited from the Ancient North Eurasians:
>
> https://books.google.com/books?id=WXzKDwAAQBAJ (pp. 104-105)

One must be careful. World myth is such a large and diverse corpus that
one may find within it support for anything, however crazy. The
question should be, does the evidence support the hypothesis in question
*over other hypotheses*?

In the case of the guardian dog mytheme, I don't think it does. I have
not read the Lankford sources that are cited in the chapter you refer
to, but the title of one of them ("raptor at the gate") suggests that
the guardians were not only dogs. I myself have read a large amount of
mythology from all over the world, and Cerberus is the *only* dog
guardian of the afterlife I can think of. The only other guardians
which come to my mind at the moment are snakes (North America, I think
Lakota, and Norse), and humanoids (ghosts or gods). Most trips to the
afterlife world do not feature any prominent guardian.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred

Zen Cycle

Jul 30, 2021, 12:21:12 PM7/30/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

http://moa.omnimulti.com/Zuul_and_Vinz_Clortho