A few things I've found this week.

RonO

Jun 8, 2018, 8:15:02 PM6/8/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/average-earth-day-used-be-less-19-hours-long?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-06-06&et_rid=338065219&et_cid=2099238

This is an article about how the days were once shorter. Something that
Pags has to deal with.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6393/eaar6343

This article has links to the original paper on how they have improved
the genome assemblies of the great apes and what they have learned about
human evolution. The human genome has altered regulatory regions for
thousands of genes compared with the great apes. The genes products do
what they do in apes, but they are regulated differently with different
consequences.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/ancient-earth-froze-over-geologic-instant?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-06-07&et_rid=338065219&et_cid=2101622

This is a blurp about an ancient ice age, and the speed in which the
earth could freeze over. At 700 million years ago this was likely
before multicellular lifeforms evolved. Most of the critters were
single celled colonies or in biofilms.

https://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/54649/title/Archaea-Family-Tree-Blossoms--Thanks-to-Genomics/

Archaea bacteria and the unfolding data of our relationships with the
early bacterial lifeforms. We can sequence whole bacterial genomes in a
few days. I was involved in a project where we sequences over 200
bacterial genomes in one run of one of the older model next gen
sequencers. There is a lot of data that they are beginning to crunch.

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/6/eaao6691?utm_campaign=toc_advances_2018-06-08&et_rid=338065219&et_cid=2103469

Ancient tracks from a bilateral animal were discovered that likely
predate the Cambrian explosion. The Cambrian explosion started by 541
million years ago, and these tracks have been dated from 551 to 541
million years ago. For some reason the Cambrian explosion scientific
creationist argument made the "best" evidence list for IDiocy. This
just adds to the fossil evidence that multicellular animals evolved
before the Cambrian explosion.

A diverse set of findings that should be of interest to TO.

Ron Okimoto

Robert Carnegie

Jun 8, 2018, 9:20:03 PM6/8/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I missed how the "days were shorter in dinosaur times"
thing was news. I thought that it was well known.

JTEM is my hero

Jun 8, 2018, 11:15:02 PM6/8/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Ron O wrote:

> http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/average-earth-day-used-be-less-19-hours-long?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-06-06&et_rid=338065219&et_cid=2099238
>
> This is an article about how the days were once shorter. Something that
> Pags has to deal with.

https://www.space.com/11115-japan-earthquake-shortened-earth-days.html

Now the funny thing is, major earthquakes happen
all the time! Most of the earth is uninhabited so
they don't knock down nuclear power plants, not as
a rule, but a magnitude 7 or above happen every
month. In fact, more often than even that!

https://www.iris.edu/hq/files/publications/brochures_onepagers/doc/EN_OnePager3.pdf

So there's roughly 18 or so earthquakes of a
magnitude 7 every year, about 10 of a magnitude
8 and we average less than one per year of a
magnitude 9 or higher.

Why this is important because, if you read the
story, it does NOT rule out further shortening
of the day by even much smaller after shocks...

So, how does this lengthening of the day balance
against the earth's constant shortening of the
days via earthquakes?

The cite doesn't say.

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/174706945703

RonO

Jun 9, 2018, 6:50:03 AM6/9/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Is this some type of effort to support geocentrism? Has any other
anti-evolution creationists ever tried to help Pags out? You do
understand that geocentric creationism failed as Christian Theology over
3 centuries ago, right? Is Pag's pope a geocentrist? Pags claims to be
a Catholic, but he doesn't believe the pope's on this one.

Your reference is shortening the days due to a shift in mass of the
earth. That doesn't help Pags out at all. Start spinning around in an
office chair with your arms out. Don't spin too fast or you might fall
out of the chair. Once you are spinning around with your arms out,
bring your hands in to your chest. What happens? This is what they are
talking about.

Pags has to work how the days have gotten hours longer over billions of
years.

Ron Okimoto

JTEM is my hero

Jun 9, 2018, 11:15:02 AM6/9/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Ron O wrote:

> JTEM is my hero wrote:

> > https://www.space.com/11115-japan-earthquake-shortened-earth-days.html
> >
> > Now the funny thing is, major earthquakes happen
> > all the time! Most of the earth is uninhabited so
> > they don't knock down nuclear power plants, not as
> > a rule, but a magnitude 7 or above happen every
> > month. In fact, more often than even that!
> >
> > https://www.iris.edu/hq/files/publications/brochures_onepagers/doc/EN_OnePager3.pdf
> >
> > So there's roughly 18 or so earthquakes of a
> > magnitude 7 every year, about 10 of a magnitude
> > 8 and we average less than one per year of a
> > magnitude 9 or higher.
> >
> > Why this is important because, if you read the
> > story, it does NOT rule out further shortening
> > of the day by even much smaller after shocks...
> >
> > So, how does this lengthening of the day balance
> > against the earth's constant shortening of the
> > days via earthquakes?
> >
> > The cite doesn't say.

> Is this some type of effort to

As a useless troll, someone faking his way
here, you post cites you can't comprehend
and pretend this makes you "Sciency." But,
as now, you resort to infantile ad hominem
& straw mans when challenged to display the
least bit of understanding.

Oh yes; and a lot of bluster! Don't forget
to be adamant in your ignorant pronouncement!
Nothing heightens your ignorance more than
your stubborn refusal to budge...

-- --

http://jtem.tumblr.com/post/59272128411

J. J. Lodder

Jun 10, 2018, 6:05:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Robert Carnegie <rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote:

> > <http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/06/average-earth-day-used-be-less-1
> > 9-hours-long?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-06-06&et_rid=338065219&et_cid=
> > 2099238>

> I missed how the "days were shorter in dinosaur times"
> thing was news. I thought that it was well known.

Very old news indeed.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_acceleration#Discovery_history_of_t
he_secular_acceleration>
The lack of constancy of the earth's rotation
had already led to the replacement of the day lenth based second
by the 'ephemeris second' based on the earth's orbit around the sun,
before atomic clocks had been invented.
The modern TAI second is equal to the ephemeris second,
to the available precision

Rhytmites so old that the subject already has a wikipedia entrance.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythmite#Tidal_rhythmites>

Chopped down to size these authors may have extended
the day length measurement somewhat deeper into geological time,
but even that is unclear,

Jan

RonO

Jun 10, 2018, 6:35:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I will just put back what you snipped out ad ran from so that you can do
it again.

REPOST:
Is this some type of effort to support geocentrism? Has any other
anti-evolution creationists ever tried to help Pags out? You do
understand that geocentric creationism failed as Christian Theology over
3 centuries ago, right? Is Pag's pope a geocentrist? Pags claims to be
a Catholic, but he doesn't believe the pope's on this one.

Your reference is shortening the days due to a shift in mass of the
earth. That doesn't help Pags out at all. Start spinning around in an
office chair with your arms out. Don't spin too fast or you might fall
out of the chair. Once you are spinning around with your arms out,
bring your hands in to your chest. What happens? This is what they are
talking about.

Pags has to work how the days have gotten hours longer over billions of
years.
END REPOST:

Something simple that you should have been able to understand, and all
you could do is snip and run. Sad but true.

Ron Okimoto

*Hemidactylus*

Jun 10, 2018, 7:05:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I didn’t interpret JTEM as supporting Paganocentrism, just adding nuance as
to how earthquakes may have a slight shortening impact on day length versus
the general trend toward lengthening. I take day length for granted and
don’t think much about long term changes.

That you replied to JTEM’s contemplation of lengthening vs shortening above
by allying him with Pags just seemed to piss him off and foreclose
discussion of something he introduced I found interesting. I am not a Pags
supporter and usually find JTEM obnoxious.

zencycle

Jun 10, 2018, 7:45:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
That's all my boss needs to hear:
me - there aren't enough hours in the day for my workload
boss - there are now!!

RonO

Jun 10, 2018, 9:10:03 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
My guess is that you are wrong. This is how JTEM usually responds when
he finds out that he holds the short end of the stick.

Ron Okimoto

RonO

Jun 10, 2018, 9:50:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
God as the sweatshop manager.

RonO

Jun 10, 2018, 9:50:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
This is just another way to measure it. My favorite was using coral
growth and determining that there were more days (night and day
fluctuations) per year in the ancient coral fossils.

The scientific creationists used to make a big deal about it and the
fact that the moon was getting further from the earth.

Ron Okimoto

Burkhard

Jun 10, 2018, 10:05:02 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
When I complained, my boss formally registered the company on Venus...

jillery

Jun 10, 2018, 11:05:03 AM6/10/18
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 15:04:04 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
Since Venus' days are longer than its years,
and its surface temperature is the highest of the planets,
that makes it doubly perfect to locate sweatshops.
Norma Rae would have a sissy-fit.

--
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall
Attributed to Voltaire

JTEM is my hero

Sep 16, 2021, 11:00:10 PM9/16/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Ron O wrote:

> I will just put back what you snipped

Why?

You never understood it, you certainly never explained what you thought it meant,
let alone why, and if anyone cared they could just go back & look. It's as if you
think the VOLUME within a post somehow constitutes... insight?

> REPOST:

Why? Why "Repost" within the exact same thread? Why not move on to talking
about your OPINION, and how it is shaped by the cite?

You're a faker.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/662426928409640960

Glenn

Sep 16, 2021, 11:15:10 PM9/16/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 8:00:10 PM UTC-7, JTEM is my hero wrote:
> Ron O wrote:
>
> > I will just put back what you snipped
> Why?
>
> You never understood it, you certainly never explained what you thought it meant,
> let alone why, and if anyone cared they could just go back & look. It's as if you
> think the VOLUME within a post somehow constitutes... insight?
>
> > REPOST:
>
> Why? Why "Repost" within the exact same thread? Why not move on to talking
> about your OPINION, and how it is shaped by the cite?
>
> You're a faker.

Nah, he's really paranoid, and borderline schizophrenic.

Ron O

Sep 17, 2021, 10:25:10 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Projection should be getting to you Glenn. Look at the date of my post. You and JTEM seem to be in some type of mental psychic union of paranoids. You seem to understand that, but these type of posts is all that you and JTEM can come up with. Did you notice that he waited several years to snip and run again? Who does that remind you of in terms of snipping and running?

Ron Okimoto