Peter Nyikos 1946 - 2024?

Burkhard

Feb 20, 2024, 11:28:16 AMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I just saw this:
https://www.templeshalloranfuneralhome.com/obituary/dr-peter-nyikos

assuming it's genuine (and I have no reason to doubt this) , the details fit, as does his extended absence from posting. He could be a royal pain in the backside, but I do hope he now experiences the type of heaven he always hoped for (with a <10% certainty, of course> That the GG version of TO will survive him by barely a week, before getting archived forever, is maybe the most fitting memorial imaginable.

Martin Harran

Feb 20, 2024, 11:53:16 AMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I thought it might not be him as it seems strange that he would still
be employed as a lecturer at 80 years of age. Looking at his CV,
however, he first graduated in 1967 so 1946 as year of birth sounds
about right.

Whilst he and I were often at each other's throats, I always thought
he genuinely believed the things he posted. The place will certainly
be a lot quieter - possibly too quiet - without him and GG.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Martin Harran

Feb 20, 2024, 12:08:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:49:20 +0000, Martin Harran
<martin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>.... I thought it might not be him as it seems strange that he would still
>be employed as a lecturer at 80 years of age.

Brain fart - 78 years of age.

Ernest Major

Feb 20, 2024, 12:18:15 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
77; he would have been 78 next month.

--
alias Ernest Major

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 20, 2024, 12:28:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The birthdate in the death notice matches his CV:
https://sc.edu/study/colleges_schools/artsandsciences/mathematics/our_people/profile_cv/nyikos_peter_cv.pdf

Ughh! Sad to see him gone. I imagine since his death date was the 18th that
his absence was due to health issues that had arisen. I can’t recall his
last posting. Maybe Jan 29th?

That is going to take some time to process. RIP Peter.

erik simpson

Feb 20, 2024, 12:38:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I am genuinely unhappy to hear this. Peter and I have had many
rancorous exchanges over the years, but I have over the last year come
to the realization that mutual miscommunication was the cause of most of
them. I never found it easy to understand what Peter was "getting at"
in his unique style of writing, but we had many common interests and he
had strong if sometimes eccentric opinions of all of them. i believe he
was committed to the truth as he understood it, and I too hope the God
he wanted to believe in accepts him as he is. I'll miss him.

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 20, 2024, 12:38:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
He was scrappy and argumentative up til the end. On Jan 25th he said in one
his preambles: “The preceding three day stretch was the most hectic in the
last two years, but things have finally calmed down, and tomorrow I will
probably have time to do several posts on t.o. It is only the lateness of
time that confines me to one today.” from thread *Hard Atheism of John
Harshman Contrasted with Agnosticism of Peter Nyikos*

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 20, 2024, 1:03:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
You or somebody might want to notify regulars on the paleontology
newsgroup.

Öö Tiib

Feb 20, 2024, 3:03:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Sad. He was certainly best ID proponent that we had. Unlike others
he did not run away from opportunity to reason. Hopefully he found
his bright afterlife.

Lawyer Daggett

Feb 21, 2024, 6:03:17 AMFeb 21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Thanks for the heads up. Nobody could get under my skin like Peter and
as such he offered me many lessons in checking myself and my immediate
impulses, even if I may have been left with more to learn.

Condolences to his family to whom he was no doubt a strong and dedicated influence.

MarkE

Feb 21, 2024, 4:53:17 PMFeb 21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Gracious words. Peter sometimes got under my skin even in agreement. But he relentlessly added colour and substance here. You will be missed, Peter.