off-topic? but hilarious

erik simpson

Feb 19, 2024, 11:28:14 AMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The paper
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcell.2023.1339390/full

attracted quite a bit of attention. The retraction

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcell.2024.1386861/full

is also pretty funny. It seems to me the journal itself has a little
explaining to do about how such a thing floated by also sorts of review.

DB Cates

Feb 19, 2024, 12:28:15 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
All gone now.
Just do a search on 'schlong rat' and read the ARS Technica article.
Also some of the comments, if you get to the one about the rat's upward
gaze; sweet dreams.
Don Cates ("he's a cunning rascal" PN)

erik simpson

Feb 19, 2024, 12:48:15 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Dreams? Ugh. There's probably going to be more rather than less junk
like this, and some of it won't be nearly as obvious.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Feb 19, 2024, 12:58:15 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.individual.net
If you go to https://forbetterscience.com/ you'll find lots of similar cases.

Very few current journals are immune to abuse, even ones that were once
at the pinnacle of respectability, like the Journal of Biological
Chemistry, have problems now that they've teamed up with Elsevier.

--
athel cb : Biochemical Evolution, Garland Science, 2016

Bob Casanova

Feb 19, 2024, 2:13:16 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:26:01 -0600, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by DB Cates <cate...@hotmail.com>:
Since the original leads only to a contentless retraction
statement, I went to the ARS Technica article you noted to
see what the hoopla was about. Thanks *ever* so much for the
reference <gag>. Just curious...who did the original peer
"review", Larry Flynt? Oh, wait, he's dead. Maybe one of his
proteges?

Ain't AI just *wunnerful*? No possibility of abuse at all...

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 19, 2024, 7:53:15 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I’ll never unsee the rat with the monstrous exploding boner. Some things
will stay with you beyond the grave.

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 19, 2024, 7:58:15 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Upward gaze? Ok.

*Hemidactylus*

Feb 19, 2024, 7:58:15 PMFeb 19
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Junk is the operative word with that one disturbing image!

erik simpson

Feb 20, 2024, 12:48:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

John Harshman

Feb 20, 2024, 6:08:16 PMFeb 20
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
More of a not-pology. I don't see anyone taking responsibility.