jillery

Mar 14, 2023, 4:15:28 AM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
... and on-topic:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JuC1Ws_uI>

Just 3 minutes long. Worth a risk for those who trust me. For those
who don't, suks to be you.

--
You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.

erik simpson

Mar 14, 2023, 11:30:28 AM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Mo bettah!

Zen Cycle

Mar 14, 2023, 1:55:27 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Nice....:)

Burkhard

Mar 14, 2023, 4:30:28 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
From an ID perspective, the answer is however straightforward - as a biologist, he is just from the wrong discipline. Here a very much simplified version:
https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gamedesigndevelopmenttextbook/chapter/game-balancing/

and here a more academic paper that gives a very good overview
http://journals.itiud.org/index.php/paradigmplus/article/view/7

(also, he wants feet that can smell stuff, rather than feet that simply smell? Not sure he thought that one through :o) )

Lawyer Daggett

Mar 14, 2023, 6:45:28 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
My feet smell, as many observers have confirmed.
Or at least they used to when I had to wear shoes often.

erik simpson

Mar 14, 2023, 7:20:28 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
As Samuel Johnson would have said: You smell, your feet stink.

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 14, 2023, 7:25:27 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Lawyer Daggett <j.nobel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 4:30:28/PM UTC-4, Burkhard wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 8:15:28/AM UTC, jillery wrote:
>>> ... and on-topic:
>>>
>>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v1JuC1Ws_uI>
>>>
>>> Just 3 minutes long. Worth a risk for those who trust me. For those
>>> who don't, suks to be you.
>>>
>>> --
>>> You're entitled to your own opinions.
>>> You're not entitled to your own facts.
>> From an ID perspective, the answer is however straightforward - as a
>> biologist, he is just from the wrong discipline. Here a very much simplified version:
>> https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gamedesigndevelopmenttextbook/chapter/game-balancing/
>>

>> and here a more academic paper that gives a very good overview
>> http://journals.itiud.org/index.php/paradigmplus/article/view/7
>>
>> (also, he wants feet that can smell stuff, rather than feet that simply
>> smell? Not sure he thought that one through :o) )
>
> My feet smell, as many observers have confirmed.
> Or at least they used to when I had to wear shoes often.

Does your nose run?

*Hemidactylus*

Mar 14, 2023, 7:35:27 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 8:15:28/AM UTC, jillery wrote:
>> ... and on-topic:
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v1JuC1Ws_uI>
>>
>> Just 3 minutes long. Worth a risk for those who trust me. For those
>> who don't, suks to be you.
>>
>> --
>> You're entitled to your own opinions.
>> You're not entitled to your own facts.
>
> From an ID perspective, the answer is however straightforward - as a
> biologist, he is just from the wrong discipline. Here a very much simplified version:
> https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gamedesigndevelopmenttextbook/chapter/game-balancing/
>
> and here a more academic paper that gives a very good overview
> http://journals.itiud.org/index.php/paradigmplus/article/view/7
>
> (also, he wants feet that can smell stuff, rather than feet that simply
> smell? Not sure he thought that one through :o) )

I thought he was mad butterflies taste with their feet. That would be a
blessing when walking on a dirty bathroom floor. “Dude did you even aim for
the toilet in the past month?”

Bob Casanova

Mar 14, 2023, 8:20:28 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:32:01 +0000, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
<ecph...@allspamis.invalid>:
We seem to have different ideas regarding the meaning of
"blessing"... :-)

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Bob Casanova

Mar 14, 2023, 8:20:28 PM3/14/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 23:22:57 +0000, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
<ecph...@allspamis.invalid>:

Built upside down, obviously.

jillery

Mar 15, 2023, 10:45:28 PM3/15/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:30:11 -0700 (PDT), Burkhard
<b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 8:15:28?AM UTC, jillery wrote:
>> ... and on-topic:
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JuC1Ws_uI>
>>
>> Just 3 minutes long. Worth a risk for those who trust me. For those
>> who don't, suks to be you.
>>

>From an ID perspective, the answer is however straightforward - as a biologist, he is just from the wrong discipline. Here a very much simplified version:
>https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gamedesigndevelopmenttextbook/chapter/game-balancing/

The above link didn't work for me.

>and here a more academic paper that gives a very good overview
>http://journals.itiud.org/index.php/paradigmplus/article/view/7
>
>(also, he wants feet that can smell stuff, rather than feet that simply smell? Not sure he thought that one through :o) )

42?

jillery

Mar 15, 2023, 10:45:28 PM3/15/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 08:28:10 -0700 (PDT), erik simpson
<eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 1:15:28?AM UTC-7, jillery wrote:
>> ... and on-topic:
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JuC1Ws_uI>
>>
>> Just 3 minutes long. Worth a risk for those who trust me. For those
>> who don't, suks to be you.
>>
>Mo bettah!

What stopped you from doing "mo bettah"?

Burkhard

Mar 16, 2023, 5:55:29 AM3/16/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thursday, March 16, 2023 at 2:45:28 AM UTC, jillery wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:30:11 -0700 (PDT), Burkhard
> <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 8:15:28?AM UTC, jillery wrote:
> >> ... and on-topic:
> >>
> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31JuC1Ws_uI>
> >>
> >> Just 3 minutes long. Worth a risk for those who trust me. For those
> >> who don't, suks to be you.
> >>

> >From an ID perspective, the answer is however straightforward - as a biologist, he is just from the wrong discipline. Here a very much simplified version:
> >https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gamedesigndevelopmenttextbook/chapter/game-balancing/
> The above link didn't work for me.

Strange - what message do you get? I tried it on my partner's machine too, just in case my Uni credentials get me past paywalls without even clicking, but it worked fine for me.

In any case, it was borderline facetious anyway - a short intro to balancing the attributes of characters in online games.

Key phrase:

"This flow was created to show when the game challenge between players is hard it leads to the game being too hard and causing frustration and when the game is too easy the game becomes too easy so flow channel is the right way to balance a game."

You'll all familiar with this the Wizard having lots of magic points and moves fast, but has poor defenses, the Troll moves slowly but is very resilient against attacks etc.

If the designer had given humans all the skills the biologist in your video identified as great in other species, the game would get boring quickly - you'd essentially playing in God mode all the time. Also, nobody would ever bet against humans any longer, which would undermine the designer's business model. Indeed, I'd say humans are probably already overpowered, and we can see the detrimental effect on the whole game already. Daytime television, Fox and online porn were great ideas to reduce a bit the impact of the too-high value that the Intelligence XPs bring, but might not be enough.

erik simpson

Mar 16, 2023, 11:45:29 AM3/16/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Caution.

Martin Harran

Mar 16, 2023, 3:10:30 PM3/16/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:30:11 -0700 (PDT), Burkhard
<b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

For the week that's in it …

God disappears for about a week and the angels are sent out to look
for him. Finally, Michael, the Archangel, finds God. "Lord where have
you been?"

God replies, "I've been away on a special project." Pointing to the
heavens He says, "I've just made a new planet called Earth. It is
beautiful and lush and everything will be in balance on it."

Michael gasps in astonishment and says, "Wow, but what do you mean
about balance?"

God responds, "Well, look, I've made a continent, America, where the
northern part is rich and the southern part is poor, and the area in
between is going to be a hot-spot. Then I've made another landmass
where the people in the north are white and the people in the south
are black. One thing to balance the other."

Michael was in awe, but says, "what about that little green spot,
what's that?"

God smiles and says, "Ah, that's the Emerald Isle, the Jewel in my
Crown. It will be green and lush with beauty beyond compare. It will
be inhabited with charming, friendly people, people of great humor and
wit. And they shall be artisans, playwrights, poets and singers and
they shall entertain the world. And I shall give them a black nectar
which people from all over the world will come to love. And the whole
world will want to flock there to experience their warmth."

Michael is overcome with awe but then he stops and his brow becomes
strained. God says, "What's wrong my child?"

Michael then says, "Lord, you said there would be balance in all
things, but there's no balance there?!"

And God replies with a big smile, "Ah yes, but just wait till you see
the neighbors I am going to give them!

P.S. Feel free to do a Scottish version ;)

erik simpson

Mar 16, 2023, 7:00:31 PM3/16/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I've always wondered about God's sense of humor. There's no reason to think it's the
same as ours.

Zen Cycle

Mar 16, 2023, 8:35:30 PM3/16/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thursday, March 16, 2023 at 7:00:31 PM UTC-4, erik simpson wrote:

> I've always wondered about God's sense of humor. There's no reason to think it's the
> same as ours.

"But I think that God's got a sick sense of humour
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing"
- Blaspemous Rumors, Depeche Mode

https://youtu.be/o3EAzf5fDpY

jillery

Mar 17, 2023, 2:30:30 AM3/17/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 08:41:58 -0700 (PDT), erik simpson
<eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 7:45:28?PM UTC-7, jillery wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 08:28:10 -0700 (PDT), erik simpson
>> <eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Mo bettah!
>>

>> What stopped you from doing "mo bettah"?
>
> Caution.

I suppose, if you mean "caution" as a synonym for "willful blindness".

jillery

Mar 17, 2023, 2:35:30 AM3/17/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 02:51:45 -0700 (PDT), Burkhard
<b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 16, 2023 at 2:45:28?AM UTC, jillery wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 13:30:11 -0700 (PDT), Burkhard
>> <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>> >From an ID perspective, the answer is however straightforward - as a biologist, he is just from the wrong discipline. Here a very much simplified version:
>> >https://ecampusontario.pressbooks.pub/gamedesigndevelopmenttextbook/chapter/game-balancing/
>> The above link didn't work for me.
>
>Strange - what message do you get? I tried it on my partner's machine too, just in case my Uni credentials get me past paywalls without even clicking, but it worked fine for me.

The link did nothing for me then, just a blank screen, not even an
error message, but it works just fine for me now. Perhaps the site
was overloaded.