10 Things You Should Never Say To Anyone

Martin Harran

Sep 25, 2021, 4:50:10 AM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
A 1-minute video by a Catholic religious writer but I think much of
his advice applies to Usenet discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiAqh5-LhbA&list=PLgCGT7nNXGY5_1tz078v917UP09F8WnPc&index=14

Mark Isaak

Sep 25, 2021, 12:00:10 PM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Yes, good advice. I'll add an old proverb:

When you argue with a fool, the fool is doing so, too.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred

Bob Casanova

Sep 25, 2021, 12:15:10 PM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 08:57:21 -0700, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Mark Isaak
<eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net>:

>On 9/25/21 1:46 AM, Martin Harran wrote:
>> A 1-minute video by a Catholic religious writer but I think much of
>> his advice applies to Usenet discussion.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiAqh5-LhbA&list=PLgCGT7nNXGY5_1tz078v917UP09F8WnPc&index=14
>
>Yes, good advice. I'll add an old proverb:
>
>When you argue with a fool, the fool is doing so, too.

Both of you make excellent points; although I've gotten into
a few such "discussions" lately I'll try harder to avoid
them in the future. One thing which usually helps me is to
remember that Usenet arguments, as contrasted with actual
discussions, are generally "full of sound and fury,
signifying nothing", and that even the real discussions
matter not a bit other than as entertainment and
(occasionally) education.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Martin Harran

Sep 25, 2021, 12:25:09 PM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 09:13:27 -0700, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off>
wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 08:57:21 -0700, the following appeared
>in talk.origins, posted by Mark Isaak
><eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net>:
>
>>On 9/25/21 1:46 AM, Martin Harran wrote:
>>> A 1-minute video by a Catholic religious writer but I think much of
>>> his advice applies to Usenet discussion.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiAqh5-LhbA&list=PLgCGT7nNXGY5_1tz078v917UP09F8WnPc&index=14
>>
>>Yes, good advice. I'll add an old proverb:
>>
>>When you argue with a fool, the fool is doing so, too.
>>
>Both of you make excellent points; although I've gotten into
>a few such "discussions" lately I'll try harder to avoid
>them in the future. One thing which usually helps me is to
>remember that Usenet arguments, as contrasted with actual
>discussions, are generally "full of sound and fury,
>signifying nothing", and that even the real discussions
>matter not a bit other than as entertainment and
>(occasionally) education.

FWIW, I don't think that most people are particularly nasty by nature
and when you run into someone who does seem to have nastiness
hardwired into them, the chances are that bad things are going on in
their life. When I encounter that, I try to feel empathy for them and
just avoid argy-bargy but like yourself, I don't always succeed in
that.

Bob Casanova

Sep 25, 2021, 2:25:10 PM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:21:59 +0100, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Martin Harran
<martin...@gmail.com>:
Point(s) taken, although in a small minority of such cases
the "bad things" seem to be a permanent state...and possibly
even welcomed by the "victim" because of the sense of
freedom to act that way that they seem to enjoy.

jillery

Sep 25, 2021, 3:20:10 PM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:20:04 -0700, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off>
wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 17:21:59 +0100, the following appeared
>in talk.origins, posted by Martin Harran
><martin...@gmail.com>:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 09:13:27 -0700, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 08:57:21 -0700, the following appeared
>>>in talk.origins, posted by Mark Isaak

The challenge here is different posters have different ideas of who
qualify as "fools" and what qualify as "arguments" Nobody ever
actually includes themselves and their own comments in those
categories, else they wouldn't post them. This entire topic is a
classic example of virtue signaling.

>>>Both of you make excellent points; although I've gotten into
>>>a few such "discussions" lately I'll try harder to avoid
>>>them in the future. One thing which usually helps me is to
>>>remember that Usenet arguments, as contrasted with actual
>>>discussions, are generally "full of sound and fury,
>>>signifying nothing", and that even the real discussions
>>>matter not a bit other than as entertainment and
>>>(occasionally) education.
>>>>
>>FWIW, I don't think that most people are particularly nasty by nature
>>and when you run into someone who does seem to have nastiness
>>hardwired into them, the chances are that bad things are going on in
>>their life. When I encounter that, I try to feel empathy for them and
>>just avoid argy-bargy but like yourself, I don't always succeed in
>>that.
>>
>Point(s) taken, although in a small minority of such cases
>the "bad things" seem to be a permanent state...and possibly
>even welcomed by the "victim" because of the sense of
>freedom to act that way that they seem to enjoy.

Most of your and Harran's recent posts are by any reasonable standard
"argy-bargy", which make your and his comments similar to that of
Freon Bill's, of doing exactly what you accuse others of doing.

--
You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.

jillery

Sep 25, 2021, 3:25:10 PM9/25/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 25 Sep 2021 08:57:21 -0700, Mark Isaak
<eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net> wrote:

>On 9/25/21 1:46 AM, Martin Harran wrote:
>> A 1-minute video by a Catholic religious writer but I think much of
>> his advice applies to Usenet discussion.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiAqh5-LhbA&list=PLgCGT7nNXGY5_1tz078v917UP09F8WnPc&index=14
>
>Yes, good advice. I'll add an old proverb:
>
>When you argue with a fool, the fool is doing so, too.

My impression is, what matters most is not what is said but who says
it.

jillery

Sep 26, 2021, 3:50:10 AM9/26/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
You mean like this?
***************************
Subject: Re: Trasducing

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:31:42 +0100, Martin Harran
<martin...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 16:16:14 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>jillery wrote:
>
>[snip for focus ]
>
>>> Harran conflates
>>> hypotheses and theories.
>
>Except, of course, that I never said anything about theories or
>hypotheses; this is just the usual made-up Jillery bullshit.
******************************

or like this?
******************************
Subject: Re: real-life effects of made-up facts
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 13:13:51 -0700, Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off>
wrote:

>>Since you, Bill Rogers, were the first person in this topic to point
>>out the country of origin of Casanova's cited paper, and the first to
>>provide reasons for treating the results with caution, ISTM you would
>>express an affirmative position about the multiple and repeated
>>misrepresentations of what you pointed out.
>>
>Maybe if jillery didn't repeatedly obsess over
>already-resolved issues she wouldn't sound so much like an
>ignorant fanatic.

No, you couldn't possibly mean *those* comments, because, after all,
they're from the "good guys"

May you and your enablers live in interesting times.