Scientists Uncover the Earliest Fossil Evidence of Photosynthesis - back to 1.75 bya

Pro Plyd

Jan 6, 2024, 9:57:31 PMJan 6
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scientists-uncover-earliest-fossil-evidence-of-photosynthesis-180983534/

In a new study published Wednesday in the journal
Nature, researchers have found cyanobacteria
fossils from around 1.75 billion years ago that
seem to have had the tools to make oxygen. They
contain thylakoid membranes, structures in which
photosynthesis takes place. The find marks the
earliest fossil evidence of photosynthesis.

“This discovery extends the fossil record of such
internal membranes by at least 1.2 billion years,”
study co-author Emmanuelle Javaux, a biologist at
the University of Liège in Belgium, tells Gizmodo’s
Isaac Schultz.

Indirect evidence from genetics and chemical
studies had previously suggested that
cyanobacteria had thylakoids by this time. But
exactly when the photosynthesizing structures first
evolved remained unclear, Kevin Boyce, a
paleobotanist at Stanford University who was not
involved in the work, tells New Scientist’s Grace
Wade. The new study, he adds, indicates that this
occurred at least 1.75 billion years ago.

Published: 03 January 2024
Oldest thylakoids in fossil cells directly evidence
oxygenic photosynthesis

Abstract
Today oxygenic photosynthesis is unique to
cyanobacteria and their plastid relatives within
eukaryotes. Although its origin before the Great
Oxidation Event is still debated1,2,3,4, the
accumulation of O2 profoundly modified the redox
chemistry of the Earth and the evolution of the
biosphere, including complex life. Understanding
the diversification of cyanobacteria is thus
crucial to grasping the coevolution of our planet
and life, but their early fossil record remains
ambiguous5. Extant cyanobacteria include the
thylakoid-less Gloeobacter-like group and the
remainder of cyanobacteria that acquired thylakoid
membranes6,7. The timing of this divergence is
indirectly estimated at between 2.7 and 2.0
billion years ago (Ga) based on molecular clocks
and phylogenies8,9,10,11 and inferred from the
earliest undisputed fossil record of
Eoentophysalis belcherensis, a 2.018–1.854 Ga
pleurocapsalean cyanobacterium preserved in
silicified stromatolites12,13. Here we report the
oldest direct evidence of thylakoid membranes in
a parallel-to-contorted arrangement within the
enigmatic cylindrical microfossils Navifusa
majensis from the McDermott Formation, Tawallah
Group, Australia (1.78–1.73 Ga), and in a
parietal arrangement in specimens from the
Grassy Bay Formation, Shaler Supergroup, Canada
(1.01–0.9 Ga). This discovery extends their fossil
record by at least 1.2 Ga and provides a minimum
age for the divergence of thylakoid-bearing
cyanobacteria at roughly 1.75 Ga. It allows the
unambiguous identification of early oxygenic
photosynthesizers and a new redox proxy for
probing early Earth ecosystems, highlighting the
importance of examining the ultrastructure of
fossil cells to decipher their palaeobiology and
early evolution.

JTEM is my hero

Jan 22, 2024, 11:17:47 PMJan 22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Pro Plyd wrote:

> In a new study published Wednesday

Published? Who published it? What was his name?
What did he eat for breakfast? How much does he
weigh?

Well. By the power of YOUR mental illness, your
failure to answer means there's no such thing as
publishing or nature. or fossils or anything.

Wait. You're not a raging jackass, are you? You're
not some incredibly stupid spazz who posts URLs
hoping that this alter will somehow get associated
with "Science" or at least words on glossy paper.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/740174235998240768

Öö Tiib

Jan 23, 2024, 6:02:48 AMJan 23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tuesday 23 January 2024 at 06:17:47 UTC+2, JTEM is my hero wrote:
> Pro Plyd wrote:
>
> > In a new study published Wednesday
> Published? Who published it? What was his name?

Follow links there are references.
Catherine F. Demoulin, Yannick J. Lara, Alexandre Lambion,
Emmanuelle J. Javaux.

> What did he eat for breakfast? How much does he
> weigh?

Pervert. And further talking to pervert you see in mirror:

> Well. By the power of YOUR mental illness, your
> failure to answer means there's no such thing as
> publishing or nature. or fossils or anything.
>
> Wait. You're not a raging jackass, are you? You're
> not some incredibly stupid spazz who posts URLs
> hoping that this alter will somehow get associated
> with "Science" or at least words on glossy paper.

<link to tumblr shit snipped>

JTEM is my hero

Jan 23, 2024, 7:17:47 AMJan 23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Öö Tiib wrote:

> Follow links there are

Posting URLs in no way applies that you ever read them, much
less understood them. This is a discussion group, not a
literary society. You use your alters to post links you could not
possibly understand, hoping people will mistaken you for
someone clever.

You've been exposed, again.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/740015935238373376

Öö Tiib

Jan 23, 2024, 10:47:48 AMJan 23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tuesday 23 January 2024 at 14:17:47 UTC+2, JTEM is my hero wrote:
> Öö Tiib wrote:
>
> > Follow links there are
>
> Posting URLs in no way applies that you ever read them, much
> less understood them. This is a discussion group, not a
> literary society. You use your alters to post links you could not
> possibly understand, hoping people will mistaken you for
> someone clever.
>
> You've been exposed, again.

No need to post your internal dialogue.
Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".

JTEM is my hero

Jan 23, 2024, 3:22:48 PMJan 23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

Not named Öö Tiib wrote:

> No need to post your internal dialogue.
> Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".

Wow. You said that and now all the URLs you impulsively post
(but never read, much less understand) really are amulets that
ward off stupidity. It worked! You must feel great.

Psst. That was sarcasm.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/740015935238373376

Bob Casanova

Jan 23, 2024, 5:42:48 PMJan 23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:47:11 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by 嘱 Tiib <oot...@hot.ee>:

>On Tuesday 23 January 2024 at 14:17:47 UTC+2, JTEM is my hero wrote:
>> 嘱 Tiib wrote:
>>
>> > Follow links there are
>>
>> Posting URLs in no way applies that you ever read them, much
>> less understood them. This is a discussion group, not a
>> literary society. You use your alters to post links you could not
>> possibly understand, hoping people will mistaken you for
>> someone clever.
>>
>> You've been exposed, again.
>
>No need to post your internal dialogue.
>Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".

He/she/it is a troll who pretends to believe that everyone
here is a sock puppet of some Evil Overlord, who only posts
here to try to put one over on him/her/it: "You've been
exposed, again".

It's not worth your time, since nothing you post in any
reply will be acknowledged in any rational way.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Öö Tiib

Jan 24, 2024, 6:27:48 AMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wednesday 24 January 2024 at 00:42:48 UTC+2, Bob Casanova wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:47:11 -0800 (PST), the following
> appeared in talk.origins, posted by Öö Tiib <oot...@hot.ee>:

> >> Posting URLs in no way applies that you ever read them, much
> >> less understood them. This is a discussion group, not a
> >> literary society. You use your alters to post links you could not
> >> possibly understand, hoping people will mistaken you for
> >> someone clever.
> >>
> >> You've been exposed, again.
> >
> >No need to post your internal dialogue.
> >Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".
> >
> He/she/it is a troll who pretends to believe that everyone

I think he ... or some very old she.

> here is a sock puppet of some Evil Overlord, who only posts
> here to try to put one over on him/her/it: "You've been
> exposed, again".

Yes, Overlord uses rather distant stolen identities (John Harshman,
Peter Nyikos) to pretend that those are arguing about something
with each other. Such split personality idea can maybe pop into
mind of someone with split personality.

> It's not worth your time, since nothing you post in any
> reply will be acknowledged in any rational way.

None of personalities of JTEM can read what was written.
But maybe there are meds.

JTEM is my hero

Jan 24, 2024, 6:42:48 AMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Bob Casanova wrote:

> He/she/it is a troll who pretends to believe that everyone
> here is a sock puppet of

You're so fucking pathetic! I'm laughing at you!

Technically you're an "Alter" -- and alternative personality.

You're pretty consistent with this one -- proclaiming your
superiority at every turn -- but it has the exact same flaws
and limitation of all the rest.

You have no reading comprehension.

You have no retention.

You can't tell the difference between posting a random URL
and making a point.

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/740174235998240768

Bob Casanova

Jan 24, 2024, 9:47:49 AMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 03:24:37 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by 嘱 Tiib <oot...@hot.ee>:

>On Wednesday 24 January 2024 at 00:42:48 UTC+2, Bob Casanova wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:47:11 -0800 (PST), the following
>> appeared in talk.origins, posted by 嘱 Tiib <oot...@hot.ee>:

>> >No need to post your internal dialogue.
>> >Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".
>> >
>> He/she/it is a troll who pretends to believe that everyone
>
>I think he ... or some very old she.
>
>> here is a sock puppet of some Evil Overlord, who only posts
>> here to try to put one over on him/her/it: "You've been
>> exposed, again".
>>
>Yes, Overlord uses rather distant stolen identities (John Harshman,
>Peter Nyikos)

...and you, and me, and jillery, and...

> to pretend that those are arguing about something
>with each other. Such split personality idea can maybe pop into
>mind of someone with split personality.
>
>> It's not worth your time, since nothing you post in any
>> reply will be acknowledged in any rational way.
>>
>None of personalities of JTEM can read what was written.
>But maybe there are meds.

Possibly, but if there are I'm almost certain he/she/it
would reject them; after all, it's *fun* being an irrational
troll. For some, anyway.

Mark Isaak

Jan 24, 2024, 11:37:48 AMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 1/23/24 2:39 PM, Bob Casanova wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:47:11 -0800 (PST), the following
> appeared in talk.origins, posted by Öö Tiib <oot...@hot.ee>:

>>> Posting URLs in no way applies that you ever read them, much
>>> less understood them. This is a discussion group, not a
>>> literary society. You use your alters to post links you could not
>>> possibly understand, hoping people will mistaken you for
>>> someone clever.
>>>
>>> You've been exposed, again.
>>
>> No need to post your internal dialogue.
>> Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".
>>
> He/she/it is a troll who pretends to believe that everyone
> here is a sock puppet of some Evil Overlord, who only posts
> here to try to put one over on him/her/it: "You've been
> exposed, again".

JTEM is right. I, the Overlord, control all the other posters and make
them do my bidding, all the while leaving them the illusion that they
are making their own decisions about what to write. This includes making
them argue with each other, which really means I am arguing with myself.
It's a nervewracking job, being an overlord; you would go a little
crazy, too.

What JTEM does not realize is that I am controlling him, too. He is the
sockpuppet I use when the crazy builds up too much and I need to let it out.

--
Evil Overlord, forcing Mark Isaak to write this.

Bob Casanova

Jan 24, 2024, 3:57:49 PMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 08:36:38 -0800, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by Mark Isaak
<specime...@curioustaxon.omy.net>:

>On 1/23/24 2:39 PM, Bob Casanova wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 07:47:11 -0800 (PST), the following
>> appeared in talk.origins, posted by 嘱 Tiib <oot...@hot.ee>:

>>> No need to post your internal dialogue.
>>> Deleted your tumblr URL, don't post it if it "no way applies".
>>>
>> He/she/it is a troll who pretends to believe that everyone
>> here is a sock puppet of some Evil Overlord, who only posts
>> here to try to put one over on him/her/it: "You've been
>> exposed, again".
>
>JTEM is right. I, the Overlord, control all the other posters and make
>them do my bidding, all the while leaving them the illusion that they
>are making their own decisions about what to write. This includes making
>them argue with each other, which really means I am arguing with myself.
> It's a nervewracking job, being an overlord; you would go a little
>crazy, too.
>
>What JTEM does not realize is that I am controlling him, too. He is the
>sockpuppet I use when the crazy builds up too much and I need to let it out.

All hail our Semi-Solipsistic Usenet Overlord!

(He made me say that...)

Abner

Jan 24, 2024, 8:12:49 PMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Mark Isaak wrote:
> What JTEM does not realize is that I am controlling him, too. He is the
> sockpuppet I use when the crazy builds up too much and I need to let it out.

Nah; JTEM, Nando, Glenn, Peter, etc. are all various reincarnations of
Shirley MacLaine. That is not, however, unusual; somewhere on the order of
63.2% of all humans on the planet are Shirley MacLaine during one of her
other lives. Always have been, and always will be. The rest are drug-induced
hallucinations by Keith Richards. He takes more drugs than any human
being could possibly survive, then hallucinates so strongly that the hallucination
becomes an independent human being. Some people try to unify the two
sources of human existence by saying that he hallucinated Shirley MacLaine
too after a particularly intense binge with Hunter S. Thompson ...

Bob Casanova

Jan 24, 2024, 11:07:50 PMJan 24
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:11:36 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Abner
<abneri...@gmail.com>:
Just outside Bakersfield on the edge of the desert, when the
drugs started to kick in?

But wasn't that Jane Fonda?

Burkhard

Jan 25, 2024, 2:27:50 AMJan 25
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Are we not deep down all but one person? .Or indeed all but
one entity? One is All, All is one - that it is alchemy itself..

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jan 25, 2024, 4:22:49 AMJan 25
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Finally, a post JTEM can agree to!

> What JTEM does not realize is that I am controlling him, too. He is the
> sockpuppet I use when the crazy builds up too much and I need to let it out.

Ah.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

jillery

Jan 25, 2024, 9:17:50 AMJan 25
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Especially with a Damascus Sword hanging over your head all the time.

>What JTEM does not realize is that I am controlling him, too. He is the
>sockpuppet I use when the crazy builds up too much and I need to let it out.

--
To know less than we don't know is the nature of most knowledge

Robert Carnegie

Jan 25, 2024, 9:37:50 AMJan 25
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Tuesday 23 January 2024 at 11:02:48 UTC, Öö Tiib wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2024 at 06:17:47 UTC+2, JTEM is my hero wrote:
> > Pro Plyd wrote:
> >
> > > In a new study published Wednesday
> > Published? Who published it? What was his name?
> >
> Follow links there are references.
> Catherine F. Demoulin, Yannick J. Lara, Alexandre Lambion,
> Emmanuelle J. Javaux.

We all often disagree about which claims actually
need to be argued with. This particular claim
from "JTEM", I would say does not need it.
The facts are clearly shown. I intervene
where clarification needs to be added.

Abner

Jan 25, 2024, 5:22:50 PMJan 25
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Bob Casanova wrote:
> Just outside Bakersfield on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs started to kick in?

> But wasn't that Jane Fonda?

Well, remember that Jane Fonda is just one of Shirley MacLaine's reincarnations.
This unites Shirley MacLaine's reincarnations with Keith Richard's drug
hallucinations, forming a united whole. Keith Richards is the source of it all:
we are all one soul, going back and forth through time like an electron going
forward and then going back in time as a positron, so that all electrons and
positrons are really the same particle. Keith Richards just arranged things
so we (mostly) wouldn't remember our other lives so his music would be a
surprise; he wanted us to be an appreciative audience.

Or something along those lines. :)

Bob Casanova

Jan 26, 2024, 12:17:51 AMJan 26
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 14:18:53 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Abner
<abneri...@gmail.com>:

Well, since Keith Richards' birth was contemporaneous with
the birth of the Solar System... :-)

And if Jane Fonda is one of Shirley MacLaine's
reincarnations, the entities in charge should be fired for
leaving out the brain.

JTEM is my hero

Feb 2, 2024, 2:17:57 AMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Bob Casanova wrote:

> Possibly, but if there are I'm almost certain he/she/it

Christ almighty, get medicated! This is wrong, your blabbering
behind rotating sock puppets, and in all of them the exact
same idiocy shining through...

-- --

https://jtem.tumblr.com/post/741162930326896640

Abner

Feb 2, 2024, 8:32:58 AMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
JTEM is my hero wrote:
> This is wrong, your blabbering behind rotating sock puppets

OK, so now I'm curious. What posters do you think are the same
person as Bob Casanova?

John Harshman

Feb 2, 2024, 10:27:58 AMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
As far as I can discern, all of us.

Bob Casanova

Feb 2, 2024, 11:07:58 AMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 05:28:57 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Abner
<abneri...@gmail.com>:
Why, everyone here, of course; see below regarding the JTEM
idiot's known faults.

But you're laboring under a misapprehension; "...you
think...". No evidence so far observed would indicate that
is true. Or even theoretically possible.

That aside, apparently the JTEM idiot (which, in addition to
its many other observed faults, is ignorant of basic grammar
["your"]) commented on something I posted. No, I don't care
what; the JTEM idiot is in my Special Children file for a
reason.

erik simpson

Feb 2, 2024, 11:12:58 AMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 2/2/24 5:28 AM, Abner wrote:
All of us. You too.

André G. Isaak

Feb 2, 2024, 6:37:58 PMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Bob Casanova is Spartacus.

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

Abner

Feb 2, 2024, 11:12:58 PMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
John Harshman wrote:
> As far as I can discern, all of us.

Well, that's disturbing! But as the wise sages say, "I am he as you are he, as you
are me and we are all together, googoogachoo."

John Harshman

Feb 2, 2024, 11:52:58 PMFeb 2
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Yes, and "the time will come when you see we're all one, and life flows
on within you and without you."

Bob Casanova

Feb 3, 2024, 11:33:00 AMFeb 3
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 2 Feb 2024 20:08:06 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Abner
<abneri...@gmail.com>:
Or maybe "We Are Legion". Or living in the short story,
"Let's Be Frank".