Fraud in Science - Which is Coolest?

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 3, 2011, 11:32:17 AM8/3/11

1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.

Mitchell Coffey

John S. Wilkins

Aug 3, 2011, 8:52:56 PM8/3/11
Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.

2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
keeping it for their own family and friends.

--
John S. Wilkins, Associate, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 3, 2011, 11:23:21 PM8/3/11
On 8/3/2011 8:52 PM, John S. Wilkins wrote:
> Mitchell Coffey<mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>
> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> keeping it for their own family and friends.

Really? I'd heard herbalists know how to cure most cancers but doctors
are keeping that from you because they want to sell more pills.

--Jeff

Mike Painter

Aug 3, 2011, 11:36:50 PM8/3/11

Pepetual motion machines exist but science keeps them hidden
Over energy devices exist for a short time but engineers keep hooking the
output to the input and they explode.

People who believe in them exist and scientists keep trying to explain.

I actually have a book with "50 Pepetual Motion Machines" in it.
The older tend to be water based and many actually have patents on them. The
newer ones have magnets involved and there are several of the rolling ball
type.

Garamond Lethe

Aug 4, 2011, 1:02:47 AM8/4/11
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, John S. Wilkins wrote:

> Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter
>> is,
>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>
> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> keeping it for their own family and friends.

3. Computer scientists worked out long ago how to provide reliable,
error-free, intuitive functionality at next-to-no cost. Unfortunately
we're also a bunch of sadistic sons of bitches.

Roy Culley

Aug 4, 2011, 4:04:39 AM8/4/11
In article <vfOdnUhgZKdPjqfT...@giganews.com>,

"Mike Painter" <md.pa...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> Pepetual motion machines exist but science keeps them hidden Over
> energy devices exist for a short time but engineers keep hooking the
> output to the input and they explode.
>
> People who believe in them exist and scientists keep trying to
> explain.
>
> I actually have a book with "50 Pepetual Motion Machines" in it.
> The older tend to be water based and many actually have patents on
> them. The newer ones have magnets involved and there are several of
> the rolling ball type.

As Uncle Al on sci.physics was fond of saying:

1) First Law of Thermodynamics: You cannot win.
2) Second Law of Thermodynamics: You can only break even on a very
cold day.
3) Third Law of Thermodynamics: It never gets that cold.

J. J. Lodder

Aug 4, 2011, 4:38:59 AM8/4/11
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

And incompetents.
It is axiomatic that
1) Every computer program contains at least one error.
2) Every computer program can be shortened by at least one line.

Hence, by induction, every computer program
can be shortened to one line, which is wrong,

Jan

J. J. Lodder

Aug 4, 2011, 4:39:00 AM8/4/11
Mike Painter <md.pa...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

A man named Dircx catalogued all know designs (�1850)
to keep aspiring young men from wasting effort.
(reprinted as a Dover Book)

Little new since,

Jan

quantum.dotproduct

Aug 4, 2011, 5:19:10 AM8/4/11

My Favorite was the fraud of a young NASA microbial geo-biologist by the
name of "Felisa Wolfe-Simon".

She claimed a bacteria incorporated Arsenic, into the backbone of its D.N.A.

Nuff-said.

Burkhard

Aug 4, 2011, 6:29:09 AM8/4/11
On 04/08/2011 04:23, Jeffrey Turner wrote:
That's nothing! Ponce de Le�n really found the fountain of youth, but he
was caught by the assassins of the life insurance branch of Lloyd's of
London, and incarcerated in a hidden vault in the Tower. Lloyd's gets
�30m per annum from Vichy cosmetics to keep him locked up.

Arkalen

Aug 4, 2011, 6:30:53 AM8/4/11
From all I've heard about that story they overstated the conclusions one
could draw from their experiments but I never heard anyone talk about fraud.

What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?

Roger Shrubber

Aug 4, 2011, 6:57:42 AM8/4/11

No, because despite her promising start, she has registered
http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/

for self-promotion.

The Sith have recruited another.

J. J. Lodder

Aug 4, 2011, 7:05:11 AM8/4/11
Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

Must be the dungeon that's lit by the everlasting light bulb
that Philips and friends forgot about,

Jan

Walter Bushell

Aug 4, 2011, 7:38:16 AM8/4/11
In article <1k5h0dz.tuk...@de-ster.xs4all.nl>,

Actually by induction we can show that computer programs could be
arbitrarily reduced to zero lines and even less. Then when you run out
of ram or disk space you could add a negative length program and have
extra room.

--
The Chinese pretend their goods are good and we pretend our money
is good, or is it the reverse?

quantum.dotproduct

Aug 4, 2011, 7:56:50 AM8/4/11
On 04/08/2011 11:30, Arkalen wrote:
> On 04/08/11 10:19, quantum.dotproduct wrote:
>> On 04/08/2011 04:23, Jeffrey Turner wrote:
>>> On 8/3/2011 8:52 PM, John S. Wilkins wrote:
..
..

>> My Favorite was the fraud of a young NASA microbial geo-biologist by the
>> name of "Felisa Wolfe-Simon".
>>

>> She claimed a bacteria incorporated Arsenic, into the backbone of its
>> D.N.A.
>>
>> Nuff-said.
>>
> From all I've heard about that story they overstated the conclusions one
> could draw from their experiments but I never heard anyone talk about fraud.

http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/papers/WolfeSimon_etal_Science2010.pdf

That is fraud.

> What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?

Being a lying ignorant son of a bitch.

Steven L.

Aug 4, 2011, 9:19:03 AM8/4/11

"Garamond Lethe" <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, John S. Wilkins wrote:
>
> > Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter
> >> is,
> >> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
> >>
> > 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> > keeping it for their own family and friends.
>
> 3. Computer scientists worked out long ago how to provide reliable,
> error-free, intuitive functionality at next-to-no cost.

In the 1980s, I remember there was a company marketing a software tool
that they claimed would accomplish exactly this: "100 million lines of
code with zero errors!"

When they tried to give us a demo of their software tool, it crashed.

-- Steven L.

Steven L.

Aug 4, 2011, 9:21:20 AM8/4/11

"J. J. Lodder" <jjl...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

You've never programmed in APL language, I see.

I once wrote an entire Algol parser in one line of APL. Of course, that
line was hundreds of characters long.

-- Steven L.

Arkalen

Aug 4, 2011, 9:22:55 AM8/4/11
On 04/08/11 12:56, quantum.dotproduct wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 11:30, Arkalen wrote:
> ..
> ..
>
>>> My Favorite was the fraud of a young NASA microbial geo-biologist by the
>>> name of "Felisa Wolfe-Simon".
>>>

>>> She claimed a bacteria incorporated Arsenic, into the backbone of its
>>> D.N.A.
>>>
>>> Nuff-said.
>>>
>> From all I've heard about that story they overstated the conclusions one
>> could draw from their experiments but I never heard anyone talk about
>> fraud.
>
> http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/papers/WolfeSimon_etal_Science2010.pdf
>
> That is fraud.

Repeated assertion of your original assertion isn't an adequate response
to my comment.

>> What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?
>

> Being a lying ignorant son of a bitch.

So how can a woman commit fraud ?

Steven L.

Aug 4, 2011, 9:22:56 AM8/4/11

"Mitchell Coffey" <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>
> Mitchell Coffey

A famous one is the inventor who designed an engine that runs on
ordinary water ("Mr. Water"), but the oil companies are suppressing it.

-- Steven L.

jillery

Aug 4, 2011, 9:58:02 AM8/4/11

That and the 100mpg carburetor.

r norman

Aug 4, 2011, 9:56:29 AM8/4/11

No contradiction there.

First, their software was less than 100 million lines of code and so
it doesn't disprove the claim.

Second, they didn't have the tool when they built the tool so the tool
itself needn't have zero errors.

It is simple to write a tool that generates 100 million lines of code
with zero errors. The problem is that the resulting code has nothing
to do with the job you need done.

r norman

Aug 4, 2011, 9:57:47 AM8/4/11

One more step and the program becomes zero lines.

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 4, 2011, 10:28:28 AM8/4/11
On 8/3/2011 8:52 PM, John S. Wilkins wrote:
> Mitchell Coffey<mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>
> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> keeping it for their own family and friends.

Nope: They're keeping it for their girlfriends so their wives don't find
out.

Mitchell

Vincent Maycock

Aug 4, 2011, 11:14:13 AM8/4/11

"quantum.dotproduct" <quantum.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/papers/WolfeSimon_etal_Science2010.pdf
>
> That is fraud.
>

>> What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?
>

> Being a lying ignorant son of a bitch.

Is that a description of you, dot product?

Robert Weldon

Aug 4, 2011, 11:14:08 AM8/4/11
"quantum.dotproduct" <quantum.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message

So, that means that you are the poster child of "fraud" then?

Vincent Maycock

Aug 4, 2011, 11:20:29 AM8/4/11

"quantum.dotproduct" <quantum.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Is this supposed to be a roundabout way of expressing your creationist
views? That is, are you implying that the stunning successes
of evolutionary science are really fraudulent?

Chris Thompson

Aug 4, 2011, 1:02:07 PM8/4/11
jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote in news:1k5h1eb.i12t6d1h4am3jN%
jo...@wilkins.id.au:

> Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>
> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> keeping it for their own family and friends.

Is this fraud or just conspiracy theory?

3. Imams in Nigeria advised parents against having their kids vaccinated
against polio because the US had included chemicals that would make them
sterile.

Chris

Earle Jones

Aug 4, 2011, 5:25:36 PM8/4/11
In article <1k5h1eb.i12t6d1h4am3jN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,

jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> > but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
> >
> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> keeping it for their own family and friends.

*
3. All Indians walk in single-file.
At least the one I knew did.

earle
*

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:27:43 PM8/4/11

Yeah, and you keep leaving back doors in operating systems.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:30:22 PM8/4/11
Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>On 04/08/2011 04:23, Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
>>> keeping it for their own family and friends.
>>
>> Really? I'd heard herbalists know how to cure most cancers but doctors
>> are keeping that from you because they want to sell more pills.
>>
>> --Jeff
>>
>That's nothing! Ponce de León really found the fountain of youth, but he
>was caught by the assassins of the life insurance branch of Lloyd's of
>London, and incarcerated in a hidden vault in the Tower. Lloyd's gets
>£30m per annum from Vichy cosmetics to keep him locked up.

I'd think that he'd be much in need of cosmetics... ;-)

r norman

Aug 4, 2011, 6:37:26 PM8/4/11

Blame sales for demanding a release date before the alpha test is even
scheduled. "That's OK. We;ll just send you the user complaints and
save a bundle on in-house tests!"

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:37:08 PM8/4/11

>for self-promotion.

I'd urge patience. This isn't over yet and is typical of most
new discoveries and many non-discoveries as well.

It is possible that she and here several co-workers are right.

It is possible that they have overinterpreted their evidence, which
looks rather good.

It is possible that some horrible error exists in their experiments.

And there are other possibilities too.

Nobody at this time is suggesting fraud.

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:42:24 PM8/4/11
Steven L. <sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote:

And the perfect lubricant, ditto.

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:40:16 PM8/4/11
quantum.dotproduct <quantum.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 04/08/2011 11:30, Arkalen wrote:
>..
>..

>>> My Favorite was the fraud of a young NASA microbial geo-biologist by the
>>> name of "Felisa Wolfe-Simon".
>>>

>>> She claimed a bacteria incorporated Arsenic, into the backbone of its
>>> D.N.A.
>>>
>>> Nuff-said.
>>>
>> From all I've heard about that story they overstated the conclusions one
>> could draw from their experiments but I never heard anyone talk about fraud.

>http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/papers/WolfeSimon_etal_Science2010.pdf

>That is fraud.

How do you know? Do you have expertize in the field?

>> What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?

>Being a lying ignorant son of a bitch.

Well, that lets her out, doesn't it. Further, that paper has 11
authors. Are they all lying sons of bitches?

You are one rather useless piece of humanity.

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:43:20 PM8/4/11

>No contradiction there.

You can't have everything for cheap.

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:48:42 PM8/4/11

That's ok. They then moved customer service to some island
nation in a long forgotten sea where the locals speak no known
language.

But they are very cheerful.

Paul J Gans

Aug 4, 2011, 6:43:59 PM8/4/11

All zero line programs are error free.

William Morse

Aug 4, 2011, 7:57:43 PM8/4/11
On 08/04/2011 06:29 AM, Burkhard wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 04:23, Jeffrey Turner wrote:

>>> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
>>> keeping it for their own family and friends.
>>
>> Really? I'd heard herbalists know how to cure most cancers but doctors
>> are keeping that from you because they want to sell more pills.
>>
>> --Jeff
>>
> That's nothing! Ponce de Le�n really found the fountain of youth, but he

> was caught by the assassins of the life insurance branch of Lloyd's of
> London, and incarcerated in a hidden vault in the Tower. Lloyd's gets
> �30m per annum from Vichy cosmetics to keep him locked up.

If you get assassinated after drinking from the fountain of youth, do
you become an exquisite corpse?

William Morse

Aug 4, 2011, 8:56:35 PM8/4/11
On 08/04/2011 01:02 AM, Garamond Lethe wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, John S. Wilkins wrote:
>
>> Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter
>>> is,
>>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>>
>> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
>> keeping it for their own family and friends.
>
> 3. Computer scientists worked out long ago how to provide reliable,
> error-free, intuitive functionality at next-to-no cost. Unfortunately
> we're also a bunch of sadistic sons of bitches.

4. Meteorologists actually know exactly what the weather will be for the
next 1000 years, but if they published it, nobody would pay them anymore
to predict the weather.

Mark Isaak

Aug 4, 2011, 9:12:15 PM8/4/11

But the perfect lubricant must be available to high school physics
classes, for them to produce the frictionless planes. I suspect they
get weightless ropes from the same supplier.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"It is certain, from experience, that the smallest grain of natural

r norman

Aug 4, 2011, 10:26:26 PM8/4/11

I actually heard a weathercaster say on a broadcast in Southern
California "Today will be warm and sunny. I don't know why they pay
us -- it is always warm and sunny. In other parts of the country
....."

*Hemidactylus*

Aug 5, 2011, 12:30:00 AM8/5/11
Steve Doocy of Fox and Friends has portrayed a weathercaster.

--
*Hemidactylus*

J. J. Lodder

Aug 5, 2011, 8:07:12 AM8/5/11
Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:

Perhaps not, but Americans do believe
that you can have everyting on credit,
(which you pay back with more credit)

Jan

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 5, 2011, 8:20:24 AM8/5/11

I just checked the five-day forecast for San Diego. Maximum
temperatures run: 76, 77, 77, 77, 78. And two days of "Partly Cloudy"
followed by three days of "AM Clouds/PM Sun." Can there be a duller
job than forecasting that weather?

--Jeff

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 5, 2011, 10:22:14 AM8/5/11

You haven't been following American politics, have you? It's not assumed
by all parties here that the government has to pay it back?

Mitchell Coffey

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 5, 2011, 10:25:06 AM8/5/11

In "LA Story" Steven Martin played a TV weatherman who'd film his
reports three days in advance so he could get away over the weekend.

Mitchell

Chris Thompson

Aug 5, 2011, 10:59:28 AM8/5/11
Jeffrey Turner <jtu...@localnet.com> wrote in

Looking it up to post on Usenet?

Chris

r norman

Aug 5, 2011, 11:25:10 AM8/5/11

Checking your facts before posting truly is a deadful precedent. Has
it ever happened before?

Chris Thompson

Aug 5, 2011, 12:19:01 PM8/5/11
r norman <r_s_n...@comcast.net> wrote in

^^^^^^^
> it ever happened before?

Are you implying J J Lodder is a zombie?

Well, better he is posting on Usenet than eating brains, I guess.

Chris

Chris Thompson

Aug 5, 2011, 1:04:15 PM8/5/11
nos...@de-ster.demon.nl (J. J. Lodder) wrote in

Per Heinlein:

Cheap, fast, good.

You get to pick two out of three.

Chris

Chris Thompson

Aug 5, 2011, 1:06:05 PM8/5/11
Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote in

We are going to pay it back by letting inflation run rampant.

That way, the price of our bonds will go up in the near term, but the
bonds we issued in the last 10 years will be worthless.

Don't you know even the basics of economics?

;)

Chris

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 5, 2011, 1:20:50 PM8/5/11

On Usenet it's sort of a mutual consumption.

Mitchell

J. J. Lodder

Aug 5, 2011, 2:18:21 PM8/5/11
Chris Thompson <chris.li...@google.com> wrote:

Indeed I am.
Check the refs headers for this sub-thread: I'm not there,

Jan

Paul J Gans

Aug 5, 2011, 6:10:21 PM8/5/11

Walter Bushell's sig covers it all... ;-)

William Morse

Aug 5, 2011, 9:08:07 PM8/5/11
So you're saying you're like Oakland :-)

John S. Wilkins

Aug 5, 2011, 10:37:05 PM8/5/11
Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net> wrote:

> On 8/4/11 3:42 PM, Paul J Gans wrote:
> > Steven L.<sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >

> >> "Mitchell Coffey"<mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> A famous one is the inventor who designed an engine that runs on
> >> ordinary water ("Mr. Water"), but the oil companies are suppressing it.
> >
> > And the perfect lubricant, ditto.
>
> But the perfect lubricant must be available to high school physics
> classes, for them to produce the frictionless planes. I suspect they
> get weightless ropes from the same supplier.

I ordered an infinite frictionless plane to demonstrate Newton's First
Law (it was going to be a long class) but I couldn't get it delivered.
It wouldn't fit into a Post Office approved packet.
--
John S. Wilkins, Associate, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net
But al be that he was a philosophre,
Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

Garamond Lethe

Aug 6, 2011, 12:33:23 AM8/6/11
On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:37:05 +1000, John S. Wilkins wrote:

> Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net> wrote:

>> > And the perfect lubricant, ditto.
>>
>> But the perfect lubricant must be available to high school physics
>> classes, for them to produce the frictionless planes. I suspect they
>> get weightless ropes from the same supplier.
>
> I ordered an infinite frictionless plane to demonstrate Newton's First
> Law (it was going to be a long class) but I couldn't get it delivered.
> It wouldn't fit into a Post Office approved packet.

I could have sent you the packing material from my perfectly spherical
Jesus.

John S. Wilkins

Aug 6, 2011, 1:08:53 AM8/6/11
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Silly me: all I needed was a Klein Envelope! Oh well...

r norman

Aug 6, 2011, 7:18:33 AM8/6/11

The infinite plane would have fit but the post office requires that
you seal it to separate the contents from the outside world.

J. J. Lodder

Aug 6, 2011, 1:26:02 PM8/6/11
Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net> wrote:

> On 8/4/11 3:42 PM, Paul J Gans wrote:
> > Steven L.<sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >

> >> "Mitchell Coffey"<mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> A famous one is the inventor who designed an engine that runs on
> >> ordinary water ("Mr. Water"), but the oil companies are suppressing it.
> >
> > And the perfect lubricant, ditto.
>
> But the perfect lubricant must be available to high school physics
> classes, for them to produce the frictionless planes. I suspect they
> get weightless ropes from the same supplier.

High school kids need lubricants these days?
What is the world coming to?

Jan

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 6, 2011, 1:32:22 PM8/6/11

When did you guys become Platonists?

> Silly me: all I needed was a Klein Envelope! Oh well...

http://www.bathsheba.com/math/klein/

http://www.kleinbottle.com/

Of course, as is typical these days, both those websites are one-sided.

Mitchell

r norman

Aug 6, 2011, 1:38:15 PM8/6/11

The Klein bottle is also non-orientable so you can't mail it to Japan
or China.

Jeffrey Turner

Aug 6, 2011, 2:37:36 PM8/6/11

Moebius just a passing phase.

--Jeff

Paul J Gans

Aug 6, 2011, 7:02:22 PM8/6/11

It would have been too small.

James Beck

Aug 6, 2011, 8:41:32 PM8/6/11
On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 05:02:47 GMT, Garamond Lethe
<cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, John S. Wilkins wrote:

>> Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter
>>> is,
>>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>>

>> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
>> keeping it for their own family and friends.
>
>3. Computer scientists worked out long ago how to provide reliable,
>error-free, intuitive functionality at next-to-no cost. Unfortunately
>we're also a bunch of sadistic sons of bitches.

4. In a plot by scientists to reinvigorate public interest in the
space program, NASA hired Ron Howard (then a student at the UCLA Film
School) to fake the Apollo 13 accident. In exchange, NASA agreed to
support his efforts to make a film drama out of the incident later.

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 6, 2011, 10:58:12 PM8/6/11

5. In January 1969 CIA scientists, as result of a mass experiment
intended to test whether the Soviet Union could introduce LSD into the
entire U.S. water supply, accidentally introduced LSD into the entire
U.S. water supply. The effects were many and subtle, but to summarize,
it appears Hubert Humphrey in fact won the 1968 election and all six
years of the Nixon Presidency were a mass hallucinations.

Mitchell Coffey

James Beck

Aug 6, 2011, 11:33:52 PM8/6/11

Cool, man. Cool...

Steven L.

Aug 7, 2011, 11:00:28 AM8/7/11

"James Beck" <jdbec...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Something similar to that was the plot of a Hollywood movie, "Capricorn
One," in which NASA fakes the first manned landing on Mars, filming the
whole thing in a studio.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077294/

-- Steven L.

James Beck

Aug 7, 2011, 2:57:14 PM8/7/11

I remember the film; however, while it's easy to understand why
someone might create propaganda by faking success, it's cooler to
justify the creation of propaganda by faking failure.

Mike Dworetsky

Aug 8, 2011, 6:54:37 AM8/8/11

And "Moon Hoaxers" who claim that NASA faked the Apollo landings, cite the
fictitious film story "Capricorn One" as proof that the scenes on the Moon
could be faked in a studio.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

John S. Wilkins

Aug 8, 2011, 10:47:43 AM8/8/11

They didn't in your day? The world must have come to nothing, then.

Walter Bushell

Aug 8, 2011, 3:04:46 PM8/8/11
In article <1k5oile.epn5mn2lxq0bN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,

jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> J. J. Lodder <nos...@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net> wrote:

> > > But the perfect lubricant must be available to high school physics
> > > classes, for them to produce the frictionless planes. I suspect they
> > > get weightless ropes from the same supplier.
> >
> > High school kids need lubricants these days?
> > What is the world coming to?
> >
> They didn't in your day? The world must have come to nothing, then.

They still go to Firestone Drive, "Where the rubber meets the road."

--
The Chinese pretend their goods are good and we pretend our money
is good, or is it the reverse?

J. J. Lodder

Aug 8, 2011, 3:58:49 PM8/8/11
John S. Wilkins <jo...@wilkins.id.au> wrote:

> J. J. Lodder <nos...@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net> wrote:

> > > But the perfect lubricant must be available to high school physics
> > > classes, for them to produce the frictionless planes. I suspect they
> > > get weightless ropes from the same supplier.
> >
> > High school kids need lubricants these days?
> > What is the world coming to?
> >
> They didn't in your day? The world must have come to nothing, then.

But I was so much older then...

Jan

Steven L.

Aug 9, 2011, 8:15:26 PM8/9/11

"jtu...@alum.rpi.edu" <jtu...@alum.rpi.edu> wrote in message

> On 8/4/2011 10:26 PM, r norman wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 20:56:35 -0400, William Morse
> > <wdNOSP...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >> 4. Meteorologists actually know exactly what the weather will be for the
> >> next 1000 years, but if they published it, nobody would pay them anymore
> >> to predict the weather.
> >
> > I actually heard a weathercaster say on a broadcast in Southern
> > California "Today will be warm and sunny. I don't know why they pay
> > us -- it is always warm and sunny. In other parts of the country
> > ....."
>
> I just checked the five-day forecast for San Diego. Maximum
> temperatures run: 76, 77, 77, 77, 78. And two days of "Partly Cloudy"
> followed by three days of "AM Clouds/PM Sun." Can there be a duller
> job than forecasting that weather?

Yep.
Here's the extended forecast for Death Valley CA:

Wednesday 8/10: Sunny, high 118.
Thursday 8/11: Sunny, high 115.
Friday 8/12: Mostly sunny, high 117.
Saturday 8/13: Sunny, high 116.
Sunday 8/15: Sunny, high 115.
Monday 8/16: Sunny, high 116.
Tuesday 8/17: Sunny, high 116.

http://www.weather.com/weather/narrative/USCA0286

-- Steven L.

Ron O

Aug 10, 2011, 7:41:50 AM8/10/11
On Aug 3, 10:32�am, Mitchell Coffey <mitchelldotcof...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>
> Mitchell Coffey

The ID perps at the Discovery Institute really do have all the
wonderful intelligent design science to teach to school kids, but they
are running the bait and switch on their creationist supporters for
giggles. They like to see the creationist rubes bend over and take a
switch scam that doesn't even mention that ID ever existed.

When you look at it from the creationist perspective intelligent
design has been the biggest scientific fraud in the last couple
hundred years. Scientists don't look at it as scientific fraud
because it never really was any science worth talking about, but for
the creationist rubes that believed the lies it is fraud.

Ron Okimoto

AGWFacts

Aug 11, 2011, 2:38:19 PM8/11/11
On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
Wilkins) wrote:

> Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> > but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.

> 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are

> keeping it for their own family and friends.

Albert Einstein recanted General Relativity on his death bed; he
confessed to Lady Hope that "I was young and foolish when I
proposed General Relativity--- and now they're made a religion out
of it!"

Meanwhile NASA has admitted the current global temperature anomaly
isn't really happening, but was a fluke caused by one of the old
Intel 80x386 math coprocessor with a faulty value for Pi.

Burkhard

Aug 11, 2011, 2:45:45 PM8/11/11
On Aug 11, 7:38 pm, AGWFacts <AGWFa...@ipcc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
>
> Wilkins) wrote:

> > Mitchell Coffey <mitchelldotcof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> > > but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
> > 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> > keeping it for their own family and friends.
>
> Albert Einstein recanted General Relativity on his death bed; he
> confessed to Lady Hope that "I was young and foolish when I
> proposed General Relativity--- and now they're made a religion out
> of it!"

General relativity was subsequently demoted to Colonel relativity

Stuart

Aug 11, 2011, 5:12:37 PM8/11/11
On Aug 11, 8:38 am, AGWFacts <AGWFa...@ipcc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 10:52:56 +1000, j...@wilkins.id.au (John S.
>
> Wilkins) wrote:

> > Mitchell Coffey <mitchelldotcof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> > > but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
> > 2. Medical researchers worked out how to cure most cancers, but they are
> > keeping it for their own family and friends.
>
> Albert Einstein recanted General Relativity on his death bed; he
> confessed to Lady Hope that "I was young and foolish when I
> proposed General Relativity--- and now they're made a religion out
> of it!"
>
> Meanwhile NASA has admitted the current global temperature anomaly
> isn't really happening, but was a fluke caused by one of the old
> Intel 80x386 math coprocessor with a faulty value for Pi.

No, it had faulty double precision.

pay attention.

Stuart

Schenck

Aug 11, 2011, 6:41:06 PM8/11/11
On Aug 4, 7:56�am, "quantum.dotproduct" <quantum.dotprod...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> ..
> ..
>
> >> My Favorite was the fraud of a young NASA microbial geo-biologist by the
> >> name of "Felisa Wolfe-Simon".
>
> >> She claimed a bacteria incorporated Arsenic, into the backbone of its
> >> D.N.A.
>
> >> Nuff-said.
>
> > �From all I've heard about that story they overstated the conclusions one
> > could draw from their experiments but I never heard anyone talk about fraud.
>
> http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/papers/WolfeSimon_etal_Science2010.pdf
>
> That is fraud.
>
> > What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?
>
> Being a lying ignorant son of a bitch.

Wow, you're a douche. At absolute worst, she's /wrong/, not a fraud,
and not incompetent. THe people saying she (and the rest of the team)
are wrong are in two basic camps, one says 'arsenate just can't exist
long enough to do that, period' and the other says 'you're
experimental setup was insufficient', she clearly wasn't a fraud, nor
a liar.

Its utterly ironic that a MORON like you would call her ignorant, and
your use of 'bitch' to describe a perfectly nice and intelligent
person just reinforces that, you "Particle-physicist-cum-stock-brocker-
in-my-spare-time" my ass.

Schenck

Aug 11, 2011, 6:44:04 PM8/11/11
On Aug 4, 6:57 am, Roger Shrubber <rog.shrubb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, because despite her promising start, she has registeredhttp://www.felisawolfesimon.com/
>
> for self-promotion.
>
> The Sith have recruited another.

Are you kidding? Do you know how many researchers have their own
webpages? We'd be better off if /MORE/ researchers had their own
webpages that linked to pdf's of their research and blogged about
their research.

How is having a webpage much 'self-promotion' anyway? Did she pay to
have google-ads direct people to her page? Cuz that'd be promotion,
not simply having a webpage. yeesh.

John S. Wilkins

Aug 11, 2011, 7:15:45 PM8/11/11
"Not in this physicist's army!" category:

> > Albert Einstein recanted General Relativity on his death bed; he
> > confessed to Lady Hope that "I was young and foolish when I
> > proposed General Relativity--- and now they're made a religion out
> > of it!"
>

> General relativity was subsequently demoted to Colonel relativity

Kleuskes & Moos

Aug 12, 2011, 3:56:36 AM8/12/11
On Aug 5, 12:40 am, Paul J Gans <gan...@panix.com> wrote:
> quantum.dotproduct <quantum.dotprod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >..
> >..

> >>  From all I've heard about that story they overstated the conclusions one
> >> could draw from their experiments but I never heard anyone talk about fraud.
> >http://www.felisawolfesimon.com/papers/WolfeSimon_etal_Science2010.pdf
> >That is fraud.
>
> How do you know?  Do you have expertize in the field?

> >> What does "fraud" mean to you anyway ?
> >Being a lying ignorant son of a bitch.
>
> Well, that lets her out, doesn't it.  Further, that paper has 11
> authors.  Are they all lying sons of bitches?
>
> You are one rather useless piece of humanity.

I beg to differ. He provides huge amounts of entertainment value and
hence provides a useful stress-relieve mechanism. Useless to science,
logic and reason? Yes, but not in general.

Walter Bushell

Aug 12, 2011, 9:27:33 AM8/12/11
In article
<82d3ae30-1aa5-4509...@p19g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> General relativity was subsequently demoted to Colonel relativity

And henceforth resided in the kernel of the group of theories.

Walter Bushell

Aug 12, 2011, 11:48:00 AM8/12/11
In article <j1bpm8$a2n$1...@dont-email.me>,
Mitchell Coffey <mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>

> Mitchell Coffey

Perhaps link below points to a viable candidate. But, it's in public
health where fraud is commonplace. OTGH, it did get the perp his picture
on the cover of "Time" magazine and all kinds of honors etcetera, so
that's pretty cool
.
Fraud section starts about 43 seconds in.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4&feature=player_embedded>

Mitchell Coffey

Aug 12, 2011, 1:00:19 PM8/12/11
On 8/12/2011 11:48 AM, Walter Bushell wrote:
> In article<j1bpm8$a2n$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Mitchell Coffey<mitchell...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
>> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>>
>> Mitchell Coffey
>
> Perhaps link below points to a viable candidate. But, it's in public
> health where fraud is commonplace. OTGH, it did get the perp his picture
> on the cover of "Time" magazine and all kinds of honors etcetera, so
> that's pretty cool
> .
> Fraud section starts about 43 seconds in.
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4&feature=player_embedded>

That video starts with obvious fallacies. It doesn't follow that because
we've been eating certain foods for most of our existence, those foods
are more healthy than grains and processed vegetable oils. In fact, I
would call that video a fraud. It is fundamentally dishonest in ignoring
the fact that human life-spans and general health have vastly improved
since these changes to our diet have come about. The extent to which
these improvements result from those changes in diet are subject to
debate, but this video implies that we have become generally less
healthy since those changes in our diet and the changes are to blame.

It is fraudulent on some more specific points. It's only stated beef, as
it were, against grain is that, it claims, after we started eating grain
we became shorter and fatter. The implication is unclear: is this
supposed to have been a genetic change; in which case, so what? Or is
this supposed to have been a environmentally caused change in our
health; if so, much evidence is ignored.

Probably the most fraudulent claim is it's brief against processed
vegetable oils. It claims that when we started eating them, heart
disease became the leading cause of death, implying that processed
vegetable oils caused this change. Yet even a simple observance of the
relevant epidemiology suggests that the reason heart disease became a
leading cause of death in economically advance countries is because
advances in medicine, sciences, engineering, social organization, and
public and private infrastructure lead to people /not/ dying of the
things they traditionally had died of.

Furthermore, they should hear from Terry Gilliam's lawyer.

Mitchell Coffey

Bob Casanova

Aug 12, 2011, 5:58:31 PM8/12/11
On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 14:12:37 -0700 (PDT), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Stuart
<bigd...@gmail.com>:

I thought that was the first generation of Pentiums, not a
386.

--

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
- McNameless

Walter Bushell

Aug 12, 2011, 6:11:11 PM8/12/11
In article <fe8b475rlbnd71krk...@4ax.com>,
Bob Casanova <nos...@buzz.off> wrote:

That generation is now known are the rePentiums.

Harvest Dancer

Aug 13, 2011, 4:18:00 PM8/13/11
On Aug 3, 8:32 am, Mitchell Coffey <mitchelldotcof...@gmail.com>

wrote:
> 1. Astrophysicists have known for several years now what dark matter is,
> but the answer was so cool they kept it to themselves just to be dicks.
>
> Mitchell Coffey

The consensus doesn't support the existence of the luminous ether.

Jason