NP: David Schramm the Flim Flam Man, essay from Colo State

1 view

Archimedes Plutonium

Sep 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/20/96

In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:

> [...]
> Mike Varney)
> The only reason anyone knows about you is due to the wonderful system
> called the Internet, which you do not use, and which I am working to get
> you banned from.
>
> Keep counting the days until you are forced to post your crap via Internet.
> --
> Michael Varney
>
> Department of Physics
>
> Colorado State University

> If as*holes could fly, it would be perpetually dark!
>

> Of course, one kind person will lift the darkness.

> mcva...@holly.colostate.edu
>
> http://holly.colostate.edu/~mcvarney
>
> SCHRAMM, David Schramm
>
> From SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN, Oct 1994
> --- quoting SA ---
> Schramm is Louis Block Professor in the physical sciences department at
> the University of Chicago. When he is not directing the Board on
> Physics and Astronomy of the National Research Council, he can be found
> flying his 1967 King Air.
> --- end quoting ---
>
> The first time I had read of Mr. Schramm was in Scientific American
> much earlier than this article above. It was an SA article with a
> picture of Mr. Hawking in his wheelchair over in Europe and how
> everyone was deeply concerned that the Big Bang was kaput, a flop and
> in danger because the Microwave Background Radiation was so uniform
> that it disproves the Big Bang. And I remember from that article that
> Mr. Schramm was making these very dumb comments words to the effect "we
> can not give up the big bang because there is nothing else of a theory
> to take its place." And the article went on and on of Mr. Schramm the
> loyalist defender of the faith of the Big Bang.
>
> Such a closed mind, a defender to the last of a sinking ship. This is
> one of the worst character traits to have in order to be a good
> scientist. Even if a mountain of evidence piles up against the Big
> Bang, from Mr. Schramm's comments in that SA, I am confident that Mr.
> Schramm will still proclaim dumb things such as for instance, the Big
> Bang is in the best shape ever.
>
> Now I know that Mr. George Smoot is well off because another article
> said he plays the Stock Market, but why is Mr. Smoot making a crusade
> over his pseudoscience? And was Mr. Schramm's pay allowing of him to
> have a public airplane or was it his own private airplane and why is
> not a Mercedes good enough? I know textbooks are moneyspinners,
> regardless if the book is needed by the science world or not.
>
> Title: The shadows of creation : dark matter and
> the structure of the universe / Michael
> Riordan and David N. Schramm.
>
> And it seems that Mr. Schramm is a frequent flyer in the major science
> journals and in the common newspapers. It seems that Mr. Schramm is on
> The New York Times index cards as one to consult for opinion. So that
> we are never that far from another David Schramm opinion on science.

Dave Little

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

Guerrilla Grrrl wrote:

> In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
> Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...

> >In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
> >Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
> >
> snip
>
> Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
> about white men.
>
> Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

Well, I thought I'd be one of the first to flame this lovely post-it note.
Isn't it ironic that she spells "chauvinist" correctly yet "womyn" incorrectly?
I know, I know, I'm really showing off my comic abilities making fun of an
angry person's spelling? And I suppose it doesn't have to be a "womyn" writing
this. Jason Stuart could be online. Who knows? All I know is "I am sick and
tired of hearing about lesbians. Why don't you write about myn instead? You
chauvinist javelina!"

Love Dave Little
Saying it with flowers

Smith A. Cat

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

whatsa matter LITTLE dave, afraid the lizzies are gettin somethin'
you're not? no doubt they are! you 2-bit sack of misogynist shit!
womyn is a literary allusion, you illiterate son of a sack of a piece of
shit! (another literary allusion.)
smith
all male and loving it.

Smith A. Cat

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

Dave Little

Sep 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/21/96

Guerrilla Grrrl

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Stephen Tonkin

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Polite request:

This post appeared in sci.astro.amateur, a newsgroup dedicated to
observational amateur astronomy. I imagine that the crossposting here
was inadvertant, but please could you trim your headers.

Many thanks,

--
Stephen Tonkin : UK Amateur Telescope Making Pages
<s...@aegis1.demon.co.uk> : <http://www.aegis1.demon.co.uk/atm.htm>

Stephen Tonkin

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Moiner

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

In article <Dy3zw...@dowco.com>, gr...@dowco.com (Guerrilla Grrrl) wrote:

>In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
>>
>>In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
>>Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
>>
>snip
>

>Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>about white men.

For someone who dislikes hearing about white men, you certainly cross-
posted this to an odd selection of groups (alt.comics.dilbert?).

>Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

For some odd reason, you have mispelt "womb" in an unusual fashion.
Why, I cannot fathom.

--
Moiner

"nobody knows everything, SO use everything you know!"

SHARK®

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

"Smith A. Cat" <im...@primenet.com> wrote:

>whatsa matter LITTLE dave, afraid the lizzies are gettin somethin'
>you're not? no doubt they are! you 2-bit sack of misogynist shit!
>womyn is a literary allusion, you illiterate son of a sack of a piece of
>shit! (another literary allusion.)
>smith
>all male and loving it.

You're creative aren't you?

Carcharodon Carcharias

Len

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

gr...@dowco.com (Guerrilla Grrrl) wrote:

>Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>about white men.

>Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

uhh, do you mean pygg?

Len
--
==== lenp...@nwlink.com ====================
"So if you're thinking that your life is over and you really

SHARK®

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Stephen Tonkin

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Guerrilla Grrrl <gr...@dowco.com> wrote:
>In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
>>
>>In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
>>Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
>>
>snip
>

>Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>about white men.
>
>Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

Stephen Tonkin

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

Moiner

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

In article <Dy3zw...@dowco.com>, gr...@dowco.com (Guerrilla Grrrl) wrote:

>In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
>>
>>In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
>>Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
>>
>snip
>

>Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>about white men.

For someone who dislikes hearing about white men, you certainly cross-

posted this to an odd selection of groups (alt.comics.dilbert?).

>Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

For some odd reason, you have mispelt "womb" in an unusual fashion.

Guerrilla Grrrl

Terry Austin

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

"Smith A. Cat" <im...@primenet.com> wrote:

>smith
>all male and loving it.

Sounds a little perverted to me.

---------------------------------
Terry Austin, Companion of Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore

New Address:
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
---------------------------------

gnarl

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

Len wrote:

> gr...@dowco.com (Guerrilla Grrrl) wrote:
>
> >Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
> >about white men.
>
> >Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!
>
> uhh, do you mean pygg?

You expect a sow to be able to spell?

Steve

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Would someone find someone who can remove this offensive title?

chage...@jack.clarku.edu

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In a previous article, Steve <sore...@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us> wrote:
->Would someone find someone who can remove this offensive title?

we would be happy to accomodate your request,
if you could detail the source of your distress.

And maybe if the day is through,
we'll even like you.

I'm not declaring your observation null,
Just a thought about you being so dull.

twitch

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

Guerrilla Grrrl <gr...@dowco.com> wrote in article
<R.Dy3z...@dowco.com>...

> Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
>
> In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
> Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
> >
> >In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
> >Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
> >
> snip
>

> Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of
hearing
> about white men.
>
> Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

This little gem was posted to sci.astro, sci.chem, sci.classics, sci.edu,
talk.origins, talk.bizarre,alt.comedy.laurel-hardy,alt.comedy.standup, and
alt.comics.dilbert.

The only newsgroup that this makes sense in is talk.bizarre.

Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

Wil Milan

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

twitch wrote:

> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

In common parlance I believe "womyn" is used as the plural
as well, or at least that's how I've heard and read it used
at times. The whole "womyn" thing comes from the amazing
notion that the "-man" in "woman" implies that woman is
inferior or subsidiary to man. It's the same logic, or
lack thereof, which has come up with other gems such as
"herstory" for "history." Apparently the rocket scientists
who came up with that one did not realize that the word
"history" is from a Latin root and the "his-" in it has
nothing to do with the English male posessive.

To avoid misunderstandings: The foregoing is in no way a
condemnation of or denigration of women in general, only
the loony fanatics who come up with things such as
"womyn." Loony fanatics abound of both sexes, and if I
had to guess I'd say the males outnumber the females. But
the verbal gem "womyn" happens to be the work of a few
extremist females.

I can't help thinking of the Unabomber as an example of
an extremist male. Much more violent, but his English
is better. :)

Wil Milan

Wil Milan

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

twitch wrote:

> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

Just remembered: I've seen "wimmin" as the plural as well. That
is not a joke. OK, well, it is, but not by me.

WM

T.

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 01:37:27 GMT, gr...@dowco.com (Guerrilla Grrrl)
wrote:

>Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
>
>In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
>>
>>In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
>>Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
>>
>snip
>

>Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>about white men.
>
>Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

Why, I think somebody is trolling for flames! Right here, in this
group! Oh well, c'est la vie.

Message has been deleted

Michael Mell

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Wil Milan <wmi...@airdigital.com> wrote:

>twitch wrote:
>>
>> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

>In common parlance I believe "womyn" is used as the plural

>as well, or at least that's how I've heard and read it used
>at times. The whole "womyn" thing comes from the amazing
>notion that the "-man" in "woman" implies that woman is
>inferior or subsidiary to man. It's the same logic, or
>lack thereof, which has come up with other gems such as
>"herstory" for "history." Apparently the rocket scientists
>who came up with that one did not realize that the word
>"history" is from a Latin root and the "his-" in it has
>nothing to do with the English male posessive.

>To avoid misunderstandings: The foregoing is in no way a
>condemnation of or denigration of women in general, only
>the loony fanatics who come up with things such as
>"womyn." Loony fanatics abound of both sexes, and if I
>had to guess I'd say the males outnumber the females. But
>the verbal gem "womyn" happens to be the work of a few
>extremist females.

I heard one the other day which I think appropo to this thread:

FEMINAZI (as in loony radical extremist feminist; femi + nazi)

Couldn't a said it better mieself. Hope it catches on...

Michael

Len Leshin

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

twitch wrote:

> Guerrilla Grrrl <gr...@dowco.com> wrote in article
> <R.Dy3z...@dowco.com>...
> > Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
> >
> > In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
> > Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
> > >In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
> > >Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
> >
> > Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of
> hearing about white men.
> > Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!
> >

> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

Wimmin.

Robert E. Miller

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

In article <52b8fg$a...@Vir.com>, a...@vir.com (Michael Mell) wrote:

> Wil Milan <wmi...@airdigital.com> wrote:
>
> >twitch wrote:
> >>

> >> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

Actually, the very insulting term "FemiNazi was evidently coined (or more
likely, stolen and then popularized) by Rush Limbaugh. A man who has
become very wealthy using half-truths, untruths, and outright cruelty to
disguise his political extremism, rampant bigotry, and low IQ. Now he is
entitled to his opinion, of course, and everyone who wishes is most free
to agree with whatever he says as they wish.

But "Feminazi" is simply an insult to those who believe that womyn are
entitled to everything and anything that all other members of this society
are entitled to. Including respect. If you disagree, I'm sure you can do
so without senseless name-calling.
Bob

Wil Milan

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Robert E. Miller wrote:

> "FemiNazi" was evidently coined (or more
> likely, stolen and then popularized) by Rush Limbaugh. A man who has
> become very wealthy using half-truths, untruths, and outright cruelty to
> disguise his political extremism, rampant bigotry, and low IQ.

Bob,

Since you're a person who obviously cares about slurs and half-
truths, you really ought to be more careful about what you say.

I'm not a Limbaugh fan, but I've taken the time to listen to his
show off and on over the years. Though I disagree with him on a
number of issues, it could not be farther from the truth that he
is guilty of or espouses cruelty or bigotry, and it certainly
cannot be said he is of low IQ. By posting such slurs about him
you are guilty of precisely what you were decrying: unfairly
and falsely labeling someone with ugly epithets.

By the way, the term "feminazi" as Limbaugh has used it refers
specifically to about a half-dozen ultra-extremist feminists, not
feminists in general and certainly not women. And it's been a long
time since I heard him use it, which means he's either stopped
using it or I don't listen often enough to hear it.

Wil M.

Bill de hÓra

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

>Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

I believe it is a slang term for females from wyoming
--
Bill de hÓra

Bill de hÓra

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

>Just remembered: I've seen "wimmin" as the plural as well. That
>is not a joke. OK, well, it is, but not by me.

I believe wimmin is a slng term for females from Dakota
--
Bill de hÓra

Bill de hÓra

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

>uhh, do you mean pygg?

I believe pygg is a slang term describing pygmy females
--
Bill de hÓra

Michael Mell

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

I've no intention of simply name calling.

The term is to identify them clearly as an extremist group.

These ultra-feminists have installed themselves throughout the
education and political systems and co-opted the true feminist agenda
for their own extremist version.

Their techniques against their critics include providing extremist
classifications to isolate any group which doesn't support their
agenda. I'm only using their own techniques against them.

As an isolated extremist group like the Klan or Montana Militia, the
FEMINAZI's wouldn't be worth the thought but their infiltration into
the media, education, and political systems have made them part of the
problem that should be rooted out.

The first step it to name them.

Please provide a better alterative to describe the ultra-feminist
group and I'll consider it instead. I heard the term on the radio,
and not Limbaugh, and thought it hit the mark directly.

PS: Story from Associated Press. In North Carolina a six year old was
put into a room by himself for sexually harassing a six year old girl
(their terminology not mine). The six your old boy kissed the six
year old girl on the cheek. It was mentioned that the girl had even
asked him to do it. The head of the district said the action was
inappropriate at any age.

If this doesn't scare you to the bottom of your soles then you better
think it all over again.

Harald Lang

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96
to Bill de hÓra

And since you are posting this to sci.astro.amateur, can you please
enlighten me as to what this has got to do with amateur astronomy?

Cheers -- Harald

Big Ed

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Robert E. Miller wrote:

> But "Feminazi" is simply an insult to those who believe that womyn are
> entitled to everything and anything that all other members of this society
> are entitled to. Including respect. If you disagree, I'm sure you can do
> so without senseless name-calling.
> Bob

I think it's hilarious that you don't even know how to spell "women"
no wonder Democrats keep losing elections

Big Ed

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Guerrilla Grrrl wrote:

> Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
> about white men.
>
> Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

I'd love to meet you. Stupid chicks put out.

zak

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Big Ed <bi...@nr.infi.net> wrote:

>I think it's hilarious that you don't even know how to spell "women"
>no wonder Democrats keep losing elections

I think the spelling "womyn" is stupid too, and I am on the left
politically. However, I don't see any correlation between the way a
few extremists spell "women" and election returns.

Dave Little

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

Bill_de_hÓra wrote:

> i believe bucketfanny is a possible term of agreement on the matter
> --
> Bill de hÓra

Okay, I think this thread has gone on long enough. It's been reduced
to jokes that wouldn't make the final edit of Hee Haw. And since I was
the first white man to oppose gorilla girl's post, I declare this thread
officially closed. Okay, I feel better. Now let's talk about CarrotTop
and Star Trek.

Love Dave Little

Tim Shell

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

twitch wrote:

> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

Around my part of the country it would be "womyn's."

Tim "as in clothe's" Shell

Bill de hÓra

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Chris Behnsen

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Big Ed (bi...@nr.infi.net) wrote:

: Robert E. Miller wrote:
:
: > But "Feminazi" is simply an insult to those who believe that womyn are
: > entitled to everything and anything that all other members of this society
: > are entitled to. Including respect. If you disagree, I'm sure you can do
: > so without senseless name-calling.
: > Bob

: I think it's hilarious that you don't even know how to spell "women"

: no wonder Democrats keep losing elections

You think someone is that dumb? Then the joke's om you babe.:)

Womyn is more or less a cyber term for Women. Try hooking inot the
Victoria Freenet sometime.:) You'll see.. WOMEN TYPE WOMYN.

Think a little before ya speak, eh?

Moiner

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

>twitch wrote:
>>
>> Guerrilla Grrrl <gr...@dowco.com> wrote in article
>> <R.Dy3z...@dowco.com>...
>> > Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
>> >
>> > In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>> > Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
>> >

>> > Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of
>> hearing about white men.
>> > Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

>> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

>Wimmin.

Womben, of which the singular is Womb.

--
Moiner

"nobody knows everything, SO use everything you know!"

Stewart Bolerjack

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

twitch wrote:

> Guerrilla Grrrl <gr...@dowco.com> wrote in article
> <R.Dy3z...@dowco.com>...
> > Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
> >
> > In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
> > Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
> > >
> > >In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
> > >Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
> > >
> > snip

> > Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of
> hearing
> > about white men.
> >
> > Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!
> >
> This little gem was posted to sci.astro, sci.chem, sci.classics, sci.edu,
> talk.origins, talk.bizarre,alt.comedy.laurel-hardy,alt.comedy.standup, and
> alt.comics.dilbert.
>
> The only newsgroup that this makes sense in is talk.bizarre.
>
> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

Gee, that IS a toughy,...how 'bout "chicks?"

Regards, Doc

Stewart Bolerjack

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96
to Michael Mell

Michael Mell wrote:

> Wil Milan <wmi...@airdigital.com> wrote:
>
> >twitch wrote:
> >>
> >> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?
>
> >In common parlance I believe "womyn" is used as the plural
> >as well, or at least that's how I've heard and read it used
> >at times. The whole "womyn" thing comes from the amazing
> >notion that the "-man" in "woman" implies that woman is
> >inferior or subsidiary to man.

What's their problem? "Man," "Woman" -- hell they GET a bigger WORD,...

> I heard one the other day which I think appropo to this thread:
>
> FEMINAZI (as in loony radical extremist feminist; femi + nazi)
>
> Couldn't a said it better mieself. Hope it catches on...
>
> Michael

"Rabid Nincompoop" seems to suit it, also.

Regards, Doc

Hans Breuer

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Dave Little wrote:
> Okay, I think this thread has gone on long enough. It's been reduced
> to jokes that wouldn't make the final edit of Hee Haw. And since I was
> the first white man to oppose gorilla girl's post, I declare this thread
> officially closed. Okay, I feel better. Now let's talk about CarrotTop

AAH! I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! YES! CARROTTOP! EXCELLENT! BACK TO HIM!
EVERYBODY! THANK YOU SO MUCH!
NO MORE WHITEMAN CRAP, POR FAVOR, BLEEDIN' CRIKEY!!

SHARK®

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Big Ed <bi...@nr.infi.net> wrote:

>> Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>> about white men.
>>
>> Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!

>I'd love to meet you. Stupid chicks put out.

<rolling on the floor laughing>
Sorry for the cross-posting but I had to make sure the guy who wrote
this realized how funny it was.

Carcharodon Carcharias

K. Gray

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

: >>
: >> Out of curiousity, what is the plural of womyn? women?

:
: >In common parlance I believe "womyn" is used as the plural
: >as well, or at least that's how I've heard and read it used
: >at times. The whole "womyn" thing comes from the amazing
: >notion that the "-man" in "woman" implies that woman is

: >inferior or subsidiary to man. It's the same logic, or

: >lack thereof, which has come up with other gems such as
: >"herstory" for "history." Apparently the rocket scientists
: >who came up with that one did not realize that the word
: >"history" is from a Latin root and the "his-" in it has
: >nothing to do with the English male posessive.

:

I like the idea of using "person" instead of "man" in words. We have
fireperson and salesperson etc . . . I've always pushed the idea of
woperson. Sort of catchy isn't it? ; )

Ba Romaron

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Mark A Bender (Mark.A...@cdc.com) wrote:

: Whymen? ;)

Q. Why do women have vaginas?

A. Because no-one would talk to them if they didn't! :)

--
|\ _,,,---,,_ Ba Romaron
ZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ rom...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-' http://sydney.DIALix.oz.au/~romaron
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Ba Romaron

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Wil Milan (wmi...@airdigital.com) wrote:
:
: In common parlance I believe "womyn" is used as the plural
: as well, or at least that's how I've heard and read it used
: at times. The whole "womyn" thing comes from the amazing
: notion that the "-man" in "woman" implies that woman is
: inferior or subsidiary to man. It's the same logic, or
: lack thereof, which has come up with other gems such as
: "herstory" for "history."

Here's a riddle:

Q. Why do people in churches say "Amen", not "Awomen"?

A. Because they sing "hymns", not "hers"! :)

Okay, you can laugh now.

Ba Romaron

Michael Mell

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Harald Lang <la...@math.kth.se> wrote:

>Cheers -- Harald

Geeez Harald.

You should try and find the first post. Then it would all come
together and you'll see how it's ONLY to do with sci.astro.amateur!!!

I mean, once you've read the post you'll realize that there was
nothing BUTspace between their ears!!

Michael

Michael Mell

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

PS: For those of you who would like to send personal emails on this
please don't. I don't have the time to read them. I'll try to scan
this newsgroup every so often and reply here.

The emails which hit the server don't make it off the server. In
otherwords, I scan the headers and delete it off the server unread.

That's not to say the arguments within were not well thought out and
deserving of a response. I really am too busy and that's all.

Michael Mell

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

sh...@wwdc.com (SHARKŽ) wrote:

>Carcharodon Carcharias

You're right! It's the smart chicks that put out. Boy, whattta
weirdo!

Tim Shell

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

Robert E. Miller wrote:

> In article <52b8fg$a...@Vir.com>, a...@vir.com (Michael Mell) wrote:
>
> > FEMINAZI (as in loony radical extremist feminist; femi + nazi)
> > Couldn't a said it better mieself. Hope it catches on...
>
> Actually, the very insulting term "FemiNazi was evidently coined (or more

> likely, stolen and then popularized) by Rush Limbaugh.

I don't know how to score this one. I say as far as trolls go,
it worked well, but I don't know if that was the intent of Mr.
Mell, so I lean toward judging this a snag in the eye by a
stray tri-hook, rather than a clean catch.

Tim "Virgil Ward" Shell

SHARK®

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

wn...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca (Chris Behnsen) wrote:

>: I think it's hilarious that you don't even know how to spell "women"
>: no wonder Democrats keep losing elections

>You think someone is that dumb? Then the joke's om you babe.:)

>Womyn is more or less a cyber term for Women. Try hooking inot the
>Victoria Freenet sometime.:) You'll see.. WOMEN TYPE WOMYN.

>Think a little before ya speak, eh?

Hiya Tigger. Just a quick note. The person was making reference to the
fact that no matter what you say the correct spelling of women is
women in the english language.
Then they went on to make another joke about the New democrats. Womyn
is not a cyber term as it has been around for a while. Not everything
came into being once the net got larger.
I hate to say it but maybe you ought to check yourself before you hack
another person's work.

Carcharodon Carcharias

Michael Mell

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

Tim Shell <ak...@lafn.org> wrote:

>Tim "Virgil Ward" Shell
only cause I don't spend a lot of time in THIS newsgroup...

Michael Mell

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

z...@azstarnet.com (zak) wrote:

>Big Ed <bi...@nr.infi.net> wrote:

>>I think it's hilarious that you don't even know how to spell "women"
>>no wonder Democrats keep losing elections

>I think the spelling "womyn" is stupid too, and I am on the left

>politically. However, I don't see any correlation between the way a
>few extremists spell "women" and election returns.

the implication is that the womyn are not the usual extremist group
that is clearly visible, isolated, and who has little influence over
the greater American society. instead, they are deeply entrenched
in the political, eductional, and media infrastructures and heavily
influence democratic policy away from the center.

they are anti-men, anti-family, and have significantly contributed to
a number of current ills that desperately need addressing, such as
youth crime.

they must be actively rooted out of their various positions of
influence and put in the pens where they belong in the Extremists Zoo.

The Extremists Zoo, while allowing complete freedom of expression,
clearly defines the positions of each of the groups.

*** sometime in the future **** (as close as i can get to sci.astro)

"Look Honey! There's the Montana Militia!" "Oh, Over there, next to
the Klan, the Feminazis!. Don't you remember reading abou them. They
almost took over the country. They got the government to allow them
to setup complexes where unborn babies were put to death. They even
had the president pass a law to allow doctors to kill fully developed
children by sticking metal instruments in their brain!!!"

"OH STOP, Honey! This is too sick and disturbing! Let's go on to the
neo-Nazi exhibit, can't we?"

Remember, Thomas Jefferson had slaves at a time when it was socially
acceptable. And it was the law.

But it was no more RIGHT than it is today.

Stretching it a bit, of course, but when looking back on historical
events people often like to exaggerate.

Tim Blackmore

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

In article <52964v$3...@thor.atcon.com>,
T. Sel...@Poet.com (T. Selliot) wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 01:37:27 GMT, gr...@dowco.com (Guerrilla Grrrl)
>wrote:

>>Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.
>>
>>In article <51v8d0$f...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>>Archimedes...@dartmouth.edu says...
>>>
>>>In article <3240B5...@holly.colostate.edu>
>>>Michael Varney <mcva...@holly.colostate.edu> writes:
>>>
>>snip
>>

>>Stop cross-posting this shit about white men! I am sick and tired of hearing
>>about white men.
>>
>>Why don't you write about a womyn instead? You chauvinist pig!
>>
>Why, I think somebody is trolling for flames! Right here, in this
>group! Oh well, c'est la vie.

Please, please, please!! Trim the newsgroups to your own only. This thread
hardly belongs in most of those listed.

Tim Blackmore tim_bl...@notes.ipl.ca

gary seronik

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

OK clue me in. This has what to do with astronomy? Could we please
abandon this thread or STOP posting it to sci.astro.amateur. It has grown
increasingly offensive to the point where we have Ba Romoron's unfunny
contribution below. Let's remember we're in a public forum here and save
your most tasteless remarks for hushed conversations with like minded
misogynists in
bars and such...

Ba Romaron <rom...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au> wrote in article
<52d3b9$htn$1...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au>...

> Mark A Bender (Mark.A...@cdc.com) wrote:
>
> : Whymen? ;)
>
> Q. Why do women have vaginas?
>
> A. Because no-one would talk to them if they didn't! :)

Jeffrey Bodwin

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

On 28 Sep 1996, gary seronik wrote:
> OK clue me in. This has what to do with astronomy? Could we please
> abandon this thread or STOP posting it to sci.astro.amateur.
So riddle me this, Duck Dodgers, why are YOU continuing to post to
sci.astro.amateur with this thread? Every time some spam crap like this
comes down the chute, there will be some dufus who posts a reply that
contains "What does this have to do with *******?" Well, let me tell you.
NOTHING! It's a bunch of crap that is perpetuated by idiots who aren't
bright enough to ignore it. If you don't want to see this crap, set the
"Follow-Ups To:" in such a manner that they will not include the group(s)
which you frequent.

> Ba Romaron <rom...@sydney.DIALix.oz.au> wrote in article
> >

> > Q. Why do women have vaginas?
> >
> > A. Because no-one would talk to them if they didn't! :)
> >

> > --------------
> >
> > Q. What do you call that useless piece of skin around the vagina?
> >
> > A. The woman.

jpratt

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, zak wrote:

> Big Ed <bi...@nr.infi.net> wrote:
>
> >I think it's hilarious that you don't even know how to spell "women"
> >no wonder Democrats keep losing elections
>
> I think the spelling "womyn" is stupid too, and I am on the left
> politically. However, I don't see any correlation between the way a
> few extremists spell "women" and election returns.

The spelling of "womyn" is stupid. What is the big thing about "women" or
"womyn?" The whole senseless controvery is plain lunacy. In addition,
the author of the original idiotic letter might want to broaden his
perception of the world and shed himself of a few of his biases.

jpratt

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96

Sensing a little hostility here.
To the author of this letter, "Guerilla Grrr," have an objective view.

As another person wrote, "would someone please remove this offensive
title."

jpratt

Sep 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/28/96
to Dave Little

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Dave Little wrote:

> Okay, I think this thread has gone on long enough. It's been reduced
> to jokes that wouldn't make the final edit of Hee Haw. And since I was
> the first white man to oppose gorilla girl's post, I declare this thread
> officially closed. Okay, I feel better. Now let's talk about CarrotTop

> and Star Trek.
>

> Love Dave Little

Not to bring up the subject again, but who is the guerilla girl? What
exactly did she say that spark this entire rucus?

Michael Mell

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

jpratt <jpr...@aludra.usc.edu> wrote:

>Not to bring up the subject again, but who is the guerilla girl? What
>exactly did she say that spark this entire rucus?

sometimes I do requests.................

Norseman D.H.S.

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

In Article<Pine.SUN.3.93.960925...@fredholm.math.kth.se>, <la...@math.kth.se> write:
> From: Harald Lang <la...@math.kth.se>
> Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur,sci.chem,sci.classics,sci.edu,talk.origins,talk.bizarre,alt.comedy.laurel-hardy,alt.comedy.standup,alt.comics.dilbert
> Subject: Re: Stop this White Man Shit
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:35:54 +0200
> To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Bill_de_h=D3ra?= <Bi...@dehora.demon.co.uk>

> On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Bill de hÓra wrote:
>

> > >Just remembered: I've seen "wimmin" as the plural as well. That
> > >is not a joke. OK, well, it is, but not by me.
> >

> And since you are posting this to sci.astro.amateur, can you please
> enlighten me as to what this has got to do with amateur astronomy?

Probably as much as it has to do with sci.edu. It just goes to show you that
any idiot can bang on a keyboard, you don't necessarily have to make sense.

Michael Mell

Sep 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/29/96

Harald Lang <la...@math.kth.se> wrote:

>And since you are posting this to sci.astro.amateur, can you please
>enlighten me as to what this has got to do with amateur astronomy?

Gee Harald, just to be fair, I cut and posted this one from your
newsgroup.

Now, even-steven....

Martin Tom Brown <Mar...@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]

Dang. I missed the beginning of this thread.
Anyone want to repeat the answer?

>> the one moving away at great speed and aging more slowly. This poses
>> no problem as long as they remain widely separated, but should they
>> ever come together again and both would perceive the other as the one
>> who has aged much more slowly, then we have a problem. But in SR
>> they can never again come together since they cannot accelerate (if
>> they do, SR is no longer valid).
>
>AFAIR you can reach relativistic speeds quite comfortably within a
>few years merely by maintaining an acceleration of 1g (9.8 m/s).
>At these relatively low rates of acceleration it is not necessary
>to handle the full complexity of GR and the equations are reasonably
>tractable, and the fast moving astronaut ends up younger.
>
>It has been proved experimentally by taking one of a pair of atomic
>clocks into earth orbit (as well as from the measurment of lifetimes
>of relativistic sub-atomic particles) etc.

That's a different situation since the orbital clock is under
miniscule acceleration while the clock on Earth is under 1g
acceleration.

Suppose the ship leaves the Earth at 1g acceleration for ten years,
at the end of which it is back at earth. Both twins have been under
identical acceleration for the same period. Why any age difference?
And no, it's not because one has been "moving faster" since relataive
to each other that are moving at the same speed.

--
Ray Fischer
r...@netcom.com

Tim Gillespie

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

PLEASE remove sci.astro.amateur from you newsgroup header before further
responding to this thread. Although this discussion is stimulating and
intelligent, the subject matter is out of the scope of the group.

Eric Lucas

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96
to Tim Gillespie

I have to assume this post was sent by an automated 'bot. I have never
seen nor heard less appropriate words than "stimulating" and
"intelligent" to describe this thread. ;^D

Eric Lucas

lmerkel on BIX

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Tim Gillespie <tgil...@mail.tds.net> writes:
:
:PLEASE remove sci.astro.amateur from you newsgroup header before further
^^^^^
:responding to this thread. Although this discussion is stimulating and

:intelligent, the subject matter is out of the scope of the group.
^^^^^

PASSERBY: So astronomy lens itself to humor, eh?
ASTRO.AMATEUR: Sure, and albedo first to admit it.

-- Lee Merkel

Chris

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Tim Gillespie <tgil...@mail.tds.net> wrote:

>PLEASE remove sci.astro.amateur from you newsgroup header before further

>responding to this thread. Although this discussion is stimulating and
>intelligent, the subject matter is out of the scope of the group.

Actually, I think ALL the groups should be eliminated from the header
and let it fall into the black hole.

Mariane

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I feel pity for the people on the other side of the black hole.

Mariane
600...@ican.net
no URL yet, genuinely working on that
"I question the practice of opening passages with a quotation in order to quickly
establish theme." -- Burpo

Robert Croson, Jr

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I think that Eric Lucas <lu...@superlink.net>
may have written <325300...@superlink.net>:

> Tim Gillespie wrote:
>>
>> PLEASE remove sci.astro.amateur from you newsgroup header before further
>> responding to this thread. Although this discussion is stimulating and
>> intelligent, the subject matter is out of the scope of the group.
>

> I have to assume this post was sent by an automated 'bot. I have never
> seen nor heard less appropriate words than "stimulating" and
> "intelligent" to describe this thread. ;^D
>
> Eric Lucas

And he removed sci.astro.amateur from the header on his own. Maybe we should
add it back in so that we can inform him that we have removed it. :)

---------------
Rob
O-

Robert Croson, Jr

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I think that a...@vir.com (Michael Mell)
may have written <52me2q$2...@Vir.com>:

> Harald Lang <la...@math.kth.se> wrote:

>>And since you are posting this to sci.astro.amateur, can you please
>>enlighten me as to what this has got to do with amateur astronomy?

> Gee Harald, just to be fair, I cut and posted this one from your
> newsgroup.
>
> Now, even-steven....

Fair enough. Why don't we just continue the conversation here?

> Suppose the ship leaves the Earth at 1g acceleration for ten years,
> at the end of which it is back at earth. Both twins have been under
> identical acceleration for the same period. Why any age difference?
> And no, it's not because one has been "moving faster" since relataive
> to each other that are moving at the same speed.

Suppose that you have two twins. One is in a car traveling at 90 MPH
down a street, the other is standing still. They are both traveling at
90 MPH in relation to each other. Now suppose that the car smacks into a
brick wall. BAMMMMM! Ouch. Now, the twins are suddenly decelerated
violently to 0 MPH. Which one gets hurt, and why? Wouldn't it be both?
After all, in relation to each other, they were both decelerated at a
tremendous rate.

It should be quite apparent that the effects of both twins are
not due to _relative_ velocities, but are in fact, an effect of absolute
accelerations. The force of the acceleration is being felt on the twin
in the spaceship/car. Changing the frame of reference does not in any
way change the reality of what is happening.

> --
> Ray Fischer
> r...@netcom.com

---------------
Rob
O-

Robert Croson, Jr

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I think that "Norseman D.H.S." <nors...@mailhost.world.net>
may have written <NEWTNews.8440370...@ausnet.world.net>:

>> And since you are posting this to sci.astro.amateur, can you please
>> enlighten me as to what this has got to do with amateur astronomy?
>

> Probably as much as it has to do with sci.edu. It just goes to show you that
> any idiot can bang on a keyboard, you don't necessarily have to make sense.

Or even alt.comedy.laurel-hardy.

Perhaps we should add alt.fan.karl.malden.nose.

For a lot of good posts, we could add it to any of the alt.binaries.pictures.*
or the alt.sex.* heirarchies.

---------------
Rob
O-

Eric Lucas

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

And given the relative intellect that presumably prevails in those
groups, we should get into some *real* interesting flame wars. After
all, relativity is something that should only be discussed on
alt.incest, right?

Eric Lucas

GMoore5742

Oct 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/5/96

In article <32567E...@superlink.net>, Eric Lucas <lu...@superlink.net>
writes:

> After
>all, relativity is something that should only be discussed on
>alt.incest, right?

Would relative humidity be the moisture that forms between incestuous
lovers?

George
O-
Minister of Planned Spontaneity