LINE transposons

RonO

Sep 17, 2022, 8:45:12 AM9/17/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/jumping-genes-can-cause-movement-disorder-study-70485

https://www.cell.com/neuron/fulltext/S0896-6273(22)00743-7

LINE elements are just long interspersed nuclear elements (DNA sequences
that are 3 or more kilobase pairs long that have inserted all over the
genome. Endogenous retrovirus are counted among the LINE sequences. As
the news article and research paper claims they account for around 5% of
the human genonme. My take is that this is a low estimate because we
find bits of what look like fragments of LINE elements and other
transposons that appear to be ancient remnants of LINE insertions that
happened so long ago that we can't designate the sequence as a
transposon sequence anymore. It is still part of the genome, just
mutated to the extent that we have trouble identifying what it was.

LINE sequences transpose around the genome and like any other mutation
they can cause issues and change gene expression where they insert.
This paper claims that LINE-1 (a common LINE sequence in humans)
activity in neurons is associated with ataxia developing as the
individual ages. LINE sequences are classes as part of the "junk" DNA
because they are DNA parasites that hitch hike a ride in our genomes.
They just want to replicate, and in this case they are associated with
something deleterious to the host. Like any other mutation most of the
time they don't do much of anything at all, sometimes they do something
bad for the host and in a few instances they have done things that have
been selected for.

IDiots use transposons as an argument against junk DNA because they
compose such a large portion of the human genome (around 40%) but you
don't see very many creationists that want their designer to be
responsible for the junk.

Ron Okimoto

jillery

Sep 20, 2022, 10:15:16 AM9/20/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
LINE sequences could be thought of as the Jackson Pollock method of
designing genomes.

--
You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.

Glenn

Sep 20, 2022, 11:40:16 AM9/20/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
"Just" read this:

"If every single gene was expressed in every single one of your cells all the time, you would be one huge undifferentiated blob of matter! "

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/transposons-or-jumping-genes-not-junk-dna-1211/

RonO

Sep 20, 2022, 5:40:15 PM9/20/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Knock knock Glenn, do you think that it is strange that he cites
McClintock and doesn't understand that we have known that transposons
can alter gene expression since they were discovered? How do you think
that McClintock tracked their movements? They were first thought to be
regulatory elements or possible means to regulate genes, but when we
learned more about them we found out that they were DNA parasites, and
their gene regulatory behavior was just due to their containing
regulatory sequences so that they could replicate more of themselves and
they ended up regulating genes that they inserted into or by to some
extent. Most of the time it didn't do much of anything, sometimes they
do something bad enough to notice, and a few times they do something
interesting that might get selected for. They are just part of the
normal arbitrary mutations that occur in the genome. Look up the papers
on ALU retrotransposon that makes up 10% of our genome. Most of what
they have found that it does, if it does much of anything but waste
cellular resources by existing, is associated with genetic diseases.

Demonstrate that you want your designer to be responsible for
transposons. Go for it. Really, Glenn, genes are regualted in such a
way as to get everything to work, but when a transposon jumps into a new
place and messes up the existing gene regulation, what do you think that
does? Most of the time it changes gene regulation it turns out bad
because things are already working. Think about it. You are just lucky
that 40% of the genome is composed of transposon sequences, and just by
chance when transposon jumps to a new place it would fall into an
existing transposon sequence 40% of the time. Most of the transposon
sequences in your genome are defective only a small percentage of them
can still jump around. Once they mutate and become defective they get
stuck in place and just degenerate to random sequence over hundreds of
million of years.

Ron Okimoto

Glenn

Sep 20, 2022, 7:05:16 PM9/20/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Knoch knock Ron.

RonO

Sep 21, 2022, 6:55:17 AM9/21/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Nipping and running in order to remain willfully ignorant is just
stupid, and allows you to remain as stupid as you are. It does not
change reality.

REPOST:
END REPOST:

Ron Okimoto

Glenn

Sep 22, 2022, 1:30:17 AM9/22/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Nip nip.

"Widespread horizontal transfer of retrotransposons"
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1205856110

"Horizontal transfer of BovB and L1 retrotransposons in eukaryotes"
https://genomebiology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13059-018-1456-7

"Widespread and frequent horizontal transfers of transposable elements in plants"
https://genome.cshlp.org/content/24/5/831.short

More?

RonO

Sep 22, 2022, 5:40:17 AM9/22/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Nipping, snipping do you understand what you just posted? Demonstrate
that you do by describing what was found and then state why you posted
them in response to what you snipped out and ran from.

REPOST:
END REPOST:

Ron Okimoto

Glenn

Sep 22, 2022, 9:50:17 AM9/22/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Toil and tripping?

RonO

Sep 22, 2022, 5:35:18 PM9/22/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Snipping and running doesn't change reality and willful ignorance is no
way to live your life. Why do you think that you have to snip and run
from sensible things that you obviously need to consider?

REPOST:
END REPOST:

Ron Okimoto

Glenn

Sep 22, 2022, 7:35:18 PM9/22/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
What you call sensible I call insane. There is no use to reason or discuss with an insane person, nor even listen to what he has to say. I have tried many times with you and failed, so I feel no remorse over how I respond to you. Take it or leave it. But you don't and you won't. You need professional help.

RonO

Sep 22, 2022, 8:10:18 PM9/22/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
It is so insane that you have to snip and run from it and lie about your
efforts. How insane is that? Projection really is something that
shouldn't be a viable option, but it is all you have left. We both know
who needs the professional help. You can't take constructive advice and
call it insane, but it is what would make what you do so much less
insane that even you understand that, so you have to snip and run.
Reality doesn't change.

REPOST: