Investigating Difficult Nodes in the Placental Mammal Tree

Pro Plyd

Jun 29, 2022, 4:45:24 PM6/29/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

Long, only skimmed but others may also be interested. Figure 1 would make a
great poster...

https://academic.oup.com/gbe/article/9/9/2308/4095375
Investigating Difficult Nodes in the Placental Mammal Tree with Expanded
Taxon Sampling and Thousands of Ultraconserved Elements

Abstract
The phylogeny of eutherian mammals contains some of the most recalcitrant
nodes in the tetrapod tree of life. We combined comprehensive taxon and
character sampling to explore three of the most debated interordinal
relationships among placental mammals. We performed in silico extraction
of ultraconserved element loci from 72 published genomes and invitro
enrichment and sequencing of ultraconserved elements from 28 additional
mammals, resulting in alignments of 3,787 loci. We analyzed these data using
concatenated and multispecies coalescent phylogenetic approaches,
topological tests, and exploration of support among individual loci to
identify
the root of Eutheria and the sister groups of tree shrews (Scandentia) and
horses (Perissodactyla). Individual loci provided weak, but often consistent
support for topological hypotheses. Although many gene trees lacked
accepted species-tree relationships, summary coalescent topologies were
largely consistent with inferences from concatenation. At the root of
Eutheria,
we identified consistent support for a sister relationship between Xenarthra
and Afrotheria (i.e., Atlantogenata). At the other nodes of interest, support
was less consistent. We suggest Scandentia is the sister of Primatomorpha
(Euarchonta), but we failed to reject a sister relationship between
Scandentia
and Glires. Similarly, we suggest Perissodactyla is sister to Cetartiodactyla
(Euungulata), but a sister relationship between Perissodactyla and Chiroptera
remains plausible.

jillery

Jun 30, 2022, 1:30:25 AM6/30/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 29 Jun 2022 14:41:14 -0600, Pro Plyd <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Long, only skimmed but others may also be interested. Figure 1 would make a
>great poster...

I agree. It would look great next to the Phylogenetic Circle of Life:

<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281902133_Synthesis_of_phylogeny_and_taxonomy_into_a_comprehensive_tree_of_life>

<https://tinyurl.com/4xx97emu>
--
You're entitled to your own opinions.