Ancestral allele of GSR inherited from Neanderthal

RonO

Jan 7, 2022, 8:40:32 PM1/7/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abm1148

Glutathione reductase (GSR) is sort of a scavenger enzyme that helps
keep the mitochondria from going into oxidative stress. It looks like
we inherited the ancestral allele from Neanderthal. Modern humans have
an amino acid substitution in the gene that is not found in in the
Neanderthal genomes that have been sequenced. Neanderthal have the ape
sequence. It turns out that modern humans have the Neanderthal variant
at a low frequency. The sequence surrounding the gene indicates that it
came from Neanderthals, and was not just segregating at a low level in
our African ancestors. What is strange is that the Neanderthal allele
may be ancestral, but it is associated with negative effects in the
extant modern human population. It is associated with a heightened
inflammatory response, and associated with inflammatory bowel disease.
So we may have inherited the ancestral sequence from Neanderthal, but it
is only found at a very low frequency in Modern humans, and seems to be
not the best allele to have of the GSR gene at this time. The
Neanderthals had it at a very high frequency, and it didn't seem to be
some type of negative for them.

Ron Okimoto

Glenn

Jan 10, 2022, 2:55:32 PM1/10/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
So Neanders were closer to apes, and some humans mated with them and got sick.
Nah, that isn't racism.

RonO

Jan 10, 2022, 6:20:32 PM1/10/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
It likely takes a pretty sad type of person to come to conclusions like
this. You might want to take a little time to think about what you post
so that you might seem less despicable.

You do know that the European and Asian authors of the paper have the
highest frequency of the Neanderthal allele, and that Africans that
never left Africa do not have it. Think of how racist it could possibly be.

Ron Okimoto

jillery

Jan 10, 2022, 9:50:32 PM1/10/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:54:11 -0800 (PST), Glenn <GlennS...@msn.com>
wrote:
That's right. They want to pass laws to keep Neanderthals from
voting, and to force them to buy auto insurance at inflated prices.

--
You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.

Zen Cycle

Jan 12, 2022, 10:15:34 AM1/12/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
They had their chance....https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0981216/

erik simpson

Jan 12, 2022, 12:50:33 PM1/12/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Remember Encino Man? A San Fernando Valley epic.

Zen Cycle

Jan 12, 2022, 1:40:33 PM1/12/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
yes (ugh) can't stomach pauli shore....

erik simpson

Jan 12, 2022, 7:20:33 PM1/12/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I understand. I couldn't stomach the San Fernando Valley having lived there one year.

jillery

Jan 12, 2022, 8:25:33 PM1/12/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Too many Neanderthals? Or not enough?

erik simpson

Jan 12, 2022, 10:50:33 PM1/12/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I don't recall ever seeing any Neandertals when I was there, but I wasn't really looking. There
were FAR too many Angelinos (Angelini?, Angelinim?) for my already curmudgeonly taste. I understand
there are even more there now. A lot of them even show up in the boonies where I live.

jillery

Jan 13, 2022, 9:35:34 AM1/13/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:50:08 -0800 (PST), erik simpson
>I don't recall ever seeing any Neandertals when I was there, but I wasn't really looking. There
>were FAR too many Angelinos (Angelini?, Angelinim?)

Angelino joliae?

>for my already curmudgeonly taste. I understand
>there are even more there now. A lot of them even show up in the boonies where I live.

Build a bigger wall... with cameras and automatic weapons...

*Hemidactylus*

Jan 13, 2022, 9:55:33 PM1/13/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
But it launched Brendan Fraser.

Bob Casanova

Jan 14, 2022, 12:30:42 PM1/14/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:54:07 -0600, the following appeared
in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
<ecph...@allspamis.invalid>:

My first thought when I saw the subject was, "Wait,
something to do with gunshot residue was inherited from the
Neanderthals?!? WTF???"...
--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

erik simpson

Jan 14, 2022, 1:00:33 PM1/14/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 9:30:42 AM UTC-8, Bob Casanova wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:54:07 -0600, the following appeared
> in talk.origins, posted by *Hemidactylus*
> <ecph...@allspamis.invalid>:
>

> My first thought when I saw the subject was, "Wait,
> something to do with gunshot residue was inherited from the
> Neanderthals?!? WTF???"...

If God had wanted Neaderthals to have guns, He would have provided them, and
we probably wouldn't be here. It could be argued that the failure to provide them
may have been a mistake, but it's too late now.

*Hemidactylus*

Jan 14, 2022, 1:25:33 PM1/14/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Could Neanderthals have discovered natural law and discerned inalienable
rights that are self-evident such as possession of heavy firepower? And
could they have developed castle doctrine and then the idea of a
pre-emptive strike on our threatening ancestors?

In South Park terms:

https://youtu.be/Vr0bBuI8HKM

Bob Casanova

Jan 14, 2022, 2:15:34 PM1/14/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 09:59:40 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by erik simpson
<eastsi...@gmail.com>:
Ah, but I have it on Good Authority that "God moves in a
mysterious way His wonders to perform". And I seem to recall
something about swords and plowshares from a different
text... ;-)