Sir David Scaling Walrus Cliffs

Glenn

Jan 19, 2022, 7:00:34 PM1/19/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org

"In their desperation, walruses fall from heights they should never have scaled".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IatVKZZcPG0&t=455s

'Cause climate change.

Glenn

Jan 19, 2022, 10:55:34 PM1/19/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
"The walruses gather “out of desperation, not out of choice,” David Attenborough says over the resulting footage."

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/04/why-are-walruses-walking-off-cliffs/586510/

Anyone care to find the other lies in that article?

jillery

Jan 19, 2022, 11:25:34 PM1/19/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 15:59:20 -0800 (PST), Glenn <GlennS...@msn.com>
wrote:

>"In their desperation, walruses fall from heights they should never have scaled".
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IatVKZZcPG0&t=455s
>
>'Cause climate change.

Even if the Attenborough video is as misleading as your cited video
claims, that would not alter the facts which confirm anthropic global
warming. Not sure why you don't apply your alleged skepticism to your
cited video.

Meanwhile, the narration of your cited video is misleading. For
example, in response to Attenborough's statement:

"So the lives of walruses, like those of polar bears and seals, are
changing. All are living at the frontier of climate change, and all
are suffering as a consequence."

the narrator asserts "is a completely false statement." The fact is
the massive and rapid reduction of sea ice, along with all the other
effects of AGW, which the narrator does not dispute, necessarily
change the Arctic ecosystem and the lives of the organisms which live
in it.

WRT walruses specifically, my understanding is they prefer to haul out
on floating ice, as they are less likely to be attacked there by polar
bears, and are more likely to find food on the sea floor. Also, dense
pods of large males on narrow beaches are dangerou to newborns.
However, they must haul out somewhere at least occasionally, and
crowded beaches are safer than empty ones.

WRT the specific "cliff-diving" scene, the walruses almost certainly
didn't climb the sheer cliffs, but instead ascended the more gradual
reverse slope. Why did they ascend the slope? Perhaps they could
find no room on the crowded beach. Perhaps a polar bear cut them off
from the pod. Perhaps because it was there. In any case, once at the
cliff edge, and cut off from that safe return path, panicked walruses
took an available, shorter, but deadly alternate route.

Finally, Global Warming Policy Foundation is an UK political lobby
group and a known AGW-denial organization. It's almost certain they
have no expertise on walruses, Arctic ecosystems, or AGW.

For those interested, here's a link to Attenborough's Our Planet:
Frozen Worlds" production which Glenn's cited video criticizes,
time-stamped to the point where it focuses on walruses:

<https://youtu.be/cTQ3Ko9ZKg8?t=2669>

--
You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.