Chez Watt ballot for November

Mark Isaak

Dec 1, 2022, 1:35:07 PM12/1/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I found five Chez Watt nominations in the month of November.
Voting must take place in this thread for me to register it. (No, Hemi,
I did not notice your vote for one of the Chez Watts right after it was
nominated.)

================ 11/7
How to say you know nothing about psychology without saying that you
know nothing about psychology.

> Since the various features of a mind are not quantifiable, what does any
> science of the mind investigate? Any such science will have to be the
> subjective opinions of the investigator, surely not the same as sciences
> that studying actually observable observations.

================ 11/11
Category: Hope springs eternal in the most unusual ways.

"Nicely written ... until there are people like you ... there is hope."

================ 11/27
Under the category of "no fair to use a time machine in historical
arguments"
[ it's pretty weak but I've got a title to defend so have to submit
something ]

Quote:
My sources: Mainly Béatrice Leroy: L’expulsion des juifs d’Espagne. from
1990 and Georg Bossong: Die Sepharden. Geschichte und Kultur der
spanischen Juden from 20058

================ 11/30
Category: Double secret probation

The real secrecy is hidden:

================ 11/30
Category: Eureka!

> Yes you have found bedrock reality. Finally.

At Last! I knew it was there somewhere ...

--
Mark Isaak
"Wisdom begins when you discover the difference between 'That

Martin Harran

Dec 1, 2022, 2:30:08 PM12/1/22
to talk-o...@moderators.individual.net
On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 10:30:01 -0800, Mark Isaak
<spec...@curioustaxonomy.net> wrote:

>I found five Chez Watt nominations in the month of November.
>Voting must take place in this thread for me to register it. (No, Hemi,
>I did not notice your vote for one of the Chez Watts right after it was
>nominated.)
>

>================ 11/30
>Category: Double secret probation
>
>The real secrecy is hidden:

This one for me.

Burkhard

Dec 2, 2022, 5:15:08 PM12/2/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Mark Isaak wrote:
> I found five Chez Watt nominations in the month of November.
> Voting must take place in this thread for me to register it.  (No, Hemi,
> I did not notice your vote for one of the Chez Watts right after it was
> nominated.)

Standards are improving!

somewhat self-serving, but nominate

> ================ 11/30
> Category: Double secret probation
>
> The real secrecy is hidden:

with a honourable mention for

Lawyer Daggett

Dec 5, 2022, 11:00:11 AM12/5/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:35:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Isaak wrote:
> I found five Chez Watt nominations in the month of November.
> Voting must take place in this thread for me to register it. (No, Hemi,
> I did not notice your vote for one of the Chez Watts right after it was
> nominated.)

Everybody's a critic, as such, I would have voted for this if the category was
'As Yogi Berra said, you can observe a lot just by watching', but alas ...

> ================ 11/7
> How to say you know nothing about psychology without saying that you
> know nothing about psychology.
>
> > Since the various features of a mind are not quantifiable, what does any
> > science of the mind investigate? Any such science will have to be the
> > subjective opinions of the investigator, surely not the same as sciences
> > that studying actually observable observations.

This next one really sucks. The nominator should be sanctioned with a loss
of a vote for this and the next one they submit.
> ================ 11/27
> Under the category of "no fair to use a time machine in historical
> arguments"
> [ it's pretty weak but I've got a title to defend so have to submit
> something ]
>
> Quote:
> My sources: Mainly Béatrice Leroy: L’expulsion des juifs d’Espagne. from
> 1990 and Georg Bossong: Die Sepharden. Geschichte und Kultur der
> spanischen Juden from 20058

And I vote for this one, but the above sanction might be applied to
undo the vote.

peter2...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2022, 1:50:11 PM12/5/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Monday, December 5, 2022 at 11:00:11 AM UTC-5, Lawyer Daggett wrote:
> On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:35:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Isaak wrote:
> > I found five Chez Watt nominations in the month of November.
> > Voting must take place in this thread for me to register it. (No, Hemi,
> > I did not notice your vote for one of the Chez Watts right after it was
> > nominated.)

> Everybody's a critic, as such, I would have voted for this if the category was
> 'As Yogi Berra said, you can observe a lot just by watching', but alas ...

Yes, we are a bit out of practice in composing clever, amusing categories.
I think we could all benefit from reading some fine "oldies", such as some
in the 2016 thread that Burkhard linked for us, before composing a category for something
that we recognize to be Chez Watt material.

Unfortunately, I have mislaid the url for that 2016 thread, and I hope
Burk can recall it for us again.

> > ================ 11/7
> > How to say you know nothing about psychology without saying that you
> > know nothing about psychology.
> >
> > > Since the various features of a mind are not quantifiable, what does any
> > > science of the mind investigate? Any such science will have to be the
> > > subjective opinions of the investigator, surely not the same as sciences
> > > that studying actually observable observations.

> This next one really sucks. The nominator should be sanctioned with a loss
> of a vote for this and the next one they submit.

Now *there* is a fine example of self-deprecating humor.

> > ================ 11/27
> > Under the category of "no fair to use a time machine in historical
> > arguments"
> > [ it's pretty weak but I've got a title to defend so have to submit
> > something ]
> >
> > Quote:
> > My sources: Mainly Béatrice Leroy: L’expulsion des juifs d’Espagne. from
> > 1990 and Georg Bossong: Die Sepharden. Geschichte und Kultur der
> > spanischen Juden from 20058

Thanks for reminding me of this one. It has my number one vote.
I actually laughed when I saw the date -- the category is perfect.

In the spirit of "Vote early, vote often" I'll be casting my number two vote separately.
[I missed the "Vote early" boat by not posting last week, but one out of two ain't bad.]

> And I vote for this one, but the above sanction might be applied to
> undo the vote.

As Chez Watt facilitator emeritus, I leave that decision up to Mark,
who seems to be doing a fine job with the material that he's been given.
[I liked his wording of the "No, Hemi,..." bit, for instance.]

Peter Nyikos

peter2...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2022, 8:25:12 PM12/5/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 1:35:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Isaak wrote:
> I found five Chez Watt nominations in the month of November.
> Voting must take place in this thread for me to register it. (No, Hemi,
> I did not notice your vote for one of the Chez Watts right after it was
> nominated.)

I like the sense of humor you displayed in that parenthetical comment, Mark.

I'm listing two votes below, and I request that when you tally the final vote,
you give separate numbers for first votes, second votes, and honorable mention votes,
of which Burkhard has given one, using the British Commonwealth spelling `honourable'.

The following has my second vote:

> ================ 11/11
> Category: Hope springs eternal in the most unusual ways.
>
> "Nicely written ... until there are people like you ... there is hope."

As I told Lawyer Daggett earlier today, the following has my first vote:

> ================ 11/27
> Under the category of "no fair to use a time machine in historical
> arguments"
> [ it's pretty weak but I've got a title to defend so have to submit
> something ]
>
> Quote:
> My sources: Mainly Béatrice Leroy: L’expulsion des juifs d’Espagne. from
> 1990 and Georg Bossong: Die Sepharden. Geschichte und Kultur der
> spanischen Juden from 20058

Peter Nyikos

Mark Isaak

Dec 11, 2022, 10:30:17 AM12/11/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Last chance to vote. I'll tally in a couple of days and then report the
results to the Secretary of State.

Lawyer Daggett

Dec 11, 2022, 10:55:17 AM12/11/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
What? Fake news. This is a fake election. Stop the count. I won already.
Next we'll have dead people voting and illegal aliens who are probably
also panspermists who want to turn you into GMOs. The title of the
book is To Serve Man but it's a cookbook.

Vote for me and send me money.