Police vindicated: sex invented in Scotland

Burkhard

Sep 17, 2021, 10:35:10 AM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific
findings indicate us Scots were the first

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29661446

Sting and the Police were right all along:
Many miles away something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake.

André G. Isaak

Sep 17, 2021, 10:55:10 AM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 2021-09-17 08:32, Burkhard wrote:
> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific
> findings indicate us Scots were the first

I hate to break it to you, but 385 MYA the Scots still hadn't migrated
from Ireland. So the credit really belongs to the Picts :-)

André

--
To email remove 'invalid' & replace 'gm' with well known Google mail
service.

jillery

Sep 17, 2021, 11:05:10 AM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:32:56 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
Leave it to atheist evolutionists to name the fossil Microbrachius
*dicki*.

And pendantically, "sex" and "having sex" are two different things, as
illustrated by Bill Clinton's testimony.

--
You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.

André G. Isaak

Sep 17, 2021, 11:26:48 AM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 2021-09-17 09:00, jillery wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2021 15:32:56 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific
>> findings indicate us Scots were the first
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29661446
>>
>> Sting and the Police were right all along:
>> Many miles away something crawls from the slime
>> At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake.
>

> Leave it to atheist evolutionists to name the fossil Microbrachius
> *dicki*.
>
> And pendantically, "sex" and "having sex" are two different things, as
> illustrated by Bill Clinton's testimony.

I dunno. That sounds like an argument from authority to me.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 17, 2021, 7:25:10 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
That’s it Burk. Don’t stand so close to me.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 17, 2021, 7:25:10 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
André G. Isaak <agi...@gm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-17 08:32, Burkhard wrote:
>> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific
>> findings indicate us Scots were the first
>
> I hate to break it to you, but 385 MYA the Scots still hadn't migrated
> from Ireland. So the credit really belongs to the Picts :-)

Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and
grooving with a Pict?

André G. Isaak

Sep 17, 2021, 8:15:09 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Presumably grooving to the Pixies.

erik simpson

Sep 17, 2021, 8:50:10 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
This tickled a distant memory of a song: "Scotland's depraved". GIYF. There are many versions,
probably due to adaptive radiation. "Greased iguana" is an image that's hard to get out of your mind.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 17, 2021, 9:10:10 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
André G. Isaak <agi...@gm.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-17 17:24, *Hemidactylus* wrote:
>> André G. Isaak <agi...@gm.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> I hate to break it to you, but 385 MYA the Scots still hadn't migrated
>>> from Ireland. So the credit really belongs to the Picts :-)
>>>
>> Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and
>> grooving with a Pict?
>
> Presumably grooving to the Pixies.

Or three years previous to that event at Five Acres Nudist Colony -
Watford, England. I wonder how many bricks in their wall.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 17, 2021, 9:10:10 PM9/17/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
If Uma Thurman ever needs dentures and forgets them at home would headlines
read “Uma Gumma meal at restaurant”?

Burkhard

Sep 18, 2021, 3:00:10 AM9/18/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Tartan Terrors, they are fab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnWAi79DOz0

Martin Harran

Sep 18, 2021, 5:15:10 AM9/18/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 07:59:01 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
It's a pity Billy Connolly isn't performing nowadays, he would be good
fun about this.

erik simpson

Sep 18, 2021, 11:55:10 AM9/18/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Uhhh... OK.

Burkhard

Sep 18, 2021, 1:20:10 PM9/18/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I should have used this version, longer but better quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRvcrW_RYQ&list=FLFhLGLI1aQUnkDKijr12Zxg&index=32

Personally I'd prefer Highland Cathedral as our national anthem, or
Freedom come all ye (Though Henderson himself disliked the idea) but my
favourite version of Scotland the Brave is this one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG29lgIKlOs&list=FLFhLGLI1aQUnkDKijr12Zxg&index=44

Kalkidas

Sep 19, 2021, 9:55:10 PM9/19/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> Wrote in message:r
> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific findings indicate us Scot

I often wonder how there could be any "generations" if sex hadn't
been invented yet.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Burkhard

Sep 20, 2021, 2:50:10 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Kalkidas wrote:
> Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> Wrote in message:r
>> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific findings indicate us Scot
>
> I often wonder how there could be any "generations" if sex hadn't
> been invented yet.

Oh, that's easy, virgin births.

jillery

Sep 20, 2021, 4:05:11 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:54:50 -0700 (MST), Kalkidas <e...@joes.pub>
wrote:

>Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> Wrote in message:r
>> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific findings indicate us Scot
>
>I often wonder how there could be any "generations" if sex hadn't
> been invented yet.

Putting aside for the moment that the cited article, references to
which you deleted, conflated different definitions of "sex",
generations are strictly a function of reproduction. The vast
majority of organisms on Earth reproduce by cloning themselves.

Burkhard

Sep 20, 2021, 4:10:10 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
jillery wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 18:54:50 -0700 (MST), Kalkidas <e...@joes.pub>
> wrote:
>
>> Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk> Wrote in message:r
>>> Every generation thinks of course it invented sex, but latest scientific findings indicate us Scot
>>
>> I often wonder how there could be any "generations" if sex hadn't
>> been invented yet.
>

> Putting aside for the moment that the cited article, references to
> which you deleted, conflated different definitions of "sex",
> generations are strictly a function of reproduction. The vast
> majority of organisms on Earth reproduce by cloning themselves.

Also things come full circle, the oldest and the newest (Dolly etc) form
of reproduction

jillery

Sep 20, 2021, 4:40:11 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 09:08:07 +0100, Burkhard <b.sc...@ed.ac.uk>
wrote:
Hello Dolly, a pet peeve of mine. Pedantically, Dolly wasn't a clone,
but a chimera. Her nuclear DNA came from one sheep, her mitochondrial
DNA came from another sheep. Given that the two DNA lineages need be
very closely matched in order to form a viable zygote, it's no
surprise the researchers created so few of them.

Ernest Major

Sep 20, 2021, 5:55:08 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On 18/09/2021 18:17, Burkhard wrote:
> I should have used this version, longer but better quality
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvRvcrW_RYQ&list=FLFhLGLI1aQUnkDKijr12Zxg&index=32
>

> Personally I'd prefer Highland Cathedral as our national anthem, or
> Freedom come all ye (Though Henderson himself disliked the idea)  but my
>  favourite version of Scotland the Brave is this one here:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG29lgIKlOs&list=FLFhLGLI1aQUnkDKijr12Zxg&index=44

I quite like Both Sides The Tweed. But there's always A Man's a Man For
A'That.

--
alias Ernest Major

Burkhard

Sep 20, 2021, 6:20:11 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Oh yes! There is also a nice German version of that, translated at the
time by Ferdinand Feiligrath, and in a modernised version by Hannes
Wader, the sound of my childhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6RZdyWQRiQ

Burkhard

Sep 20, 2021, 6:30:09 AM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
ah yes, fair point!

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Sep 20, 2021, 12:30:09 PM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.individual.net
Scottish as well, if memory serves.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.

Burkhard

Sep 20, 2021, 1:40:09 PM9/20/21
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:
> On 2021-09-20 08:08:07 +0000, Burkhard said:
>
>> jillery wrote:

>>> Putting aside for the moment that the cited article, references to
>>> which you deleted, conflated different definitions of "sex",
>>> generations are strictly a function of reproduction.  The vast
>>> majority of organisms on Earth reproduce by cloning themselves.
>>>

>> Also things come full circle, the oldest and the newest (Dolly etc
>
> Scottish as well, if memory serves.

Indeed, brought to you by my colleagues at the Roslin institute, so the
symmetry was too good to pass by.