Chimps

1 view

Clint Ready

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Humans and Chimpanzees are 98+% similar biochemically. Does anyone know
if there has been any research on producing Human/Chimpanzee hybrids? Or
do you think that the <2% biochemical difference is too great to produce a
hybrid? How biochemically similar are horses and donkeys that produce
mules?

--
Clint

roy.altholz

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

Clint Ready <cre...@gate.net> wrote in article
<cready-0307...@wayga2-42.gate.net>...

> Humans and Chimpanzees are 98+% similar biochemically. Does anyone know
> if there has been any research on producing Human/Chimpanzee hybrids?

I don't think any experiments have been done, but I could be wrong.
Crossing a human and a chimp is one of those things that are right up there
with cloning and such. It would be very controvercial, I think, and most
biologists wouldn't want to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Or
> do you think that the <2% biochemical difference is too great to produce
> hybrid? How biochemically similar are horses and donkeys that produce
> mules?

I'm not sure.

> --
> Clint

howard hershey

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

roy.altholz wrote:

> Clint Ready <cre...@gate.net> wrote in article
> <cready-0307...@wayga2-42.gate.net>...
> > Humans and Chimpanzees are 98+% similar biochemically. Does anyone know
> > if there has been any research on producing Human/Chimpanzee hybrids?
>
> I don't think any experiments have been done, but I could be wrong.
> Crossing a human and a chimp is one of those things that are right up there
> with cloning and such. It would be very controvercial, I think, and most
> biologists wouldn't want to touch that with a ten foot pole.

Without having any first or second or third hand knowledge, I would
hazard a guess that such a hybrid, if possible (the species barrier
could be at the level of fertilization), would die quite early in
embryological development because of incompatible developmental signals.

> Or
> > do you think that the <2% biochemical difference is too great to produce

The quantity of difference is only a passing reflection of the
qualitative difference. Although only different in 2% of DNA sequences,
the differences that do exist exert a strong enough influence on
development such that almost every bone is identifiable as chimp or
human. In contrast frogs that look quite similar morphologically can
differ in a much higher % of their DNA sequences because they diverged
in the more distant past. DNA divergence reflects time since speciation
in a much more direct fashion than morphology does.

Mike Painter

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

It was done some time ago.
The offsprings appeared in a movie together several years ago.
The dumber of the two later became president.

Clint Ready wrote in message ...

>Humans and Chimpanzees are 98+% similar biochemically. Does anyone know

>if there has been any research on producing Human/Chimpanzee hybrids? Or
>do you think that the <2% biochemical difference is too great to produce a

>hybrid? How biochemically similar are horses and donkeys that produce
>mules?
>

>--
>Clint

Splifford

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

In article <cready-0307...@wayga2-42.gate.net>, cre...@gate.net
(Clint Ready) wrote:

> Humans and Chimpanzees are 98+% similar biochemically. Does anyone know
> if there has been any research on producing Human/Chimpanzee hybrids? Or
> do you think that the <2% biochemical difference is too great to produce a
> hybrid? How biochemically similar are horses and donkeys that produce
> mules?

hmmm.... there seems to be one _hell_ of a lot of large gnarled
individuals who like mutton and reside under bridges lately.

Sure there has been chimp/human xbreeding research. Karl's a product of
such an experiment. He's a chump. And if you believe any of the above, I
got me some beachfront property for sale in Zimbabwe.

on the very faint chance that you _might_ be serious (Hah!!! it is to
laugh!) humans and chimps are more closely related than horses and
donkeys, but not as closely related as wolves and dogs. Not sure about
coyotes and dogs.

--
Scientific creationism: a religious dogma combining massive
ignorance with incredible arrogance.

Splifford

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

In article <CZhn1.1793$bc3.2...@news.inreach.com>, "Mike Painter"
<mpai...@inreach.com> wrote:

> It was done some time ago.
> The offsprings appeared in a movie together several years ago.
> The dumber of the two later became president.

Hey! no fair insulting Bonzo like that. He was _not_ related to Raygun
Ronnie in any way, shape or form. He was, however, much smarter than the
Raygun.