Processism

Glenn

Sep 25, 2022, 3:50:21 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Natural Selection has been described both as a process and a mechanism.

Are the two concepts equal? Is NS both a process and a mechanism?
Evolution is said to be both a fact and a theory.
Is the process of NS a fact or a theory, and is the mechanism or process of NS a fact or a theory, or both?

Very simple:

"Natural selection is a simple mechanism that causes populations of living things to change over time. In fact, it is so simple that it can be broken down into five basic steps, abbreviated here as VISTA: Variation, Inheritance, Selection, Time and Adaptation."

https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/darwin/evolution-today/natural-selection-vista

Not that NS "can cause", but "causes" populations of things to change over time". And apparently NS is also a result of several processes, any or all of which do not necessarily result in macroevolution.

Are they being honest?

Bob Casanova

Sep 25, 2022, 6:40:21 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:49:26 -0700 (PDT), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by Glenn
<GlennS...@msn.com>:
Do you think they aren't? In what manner?

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Glenn

Sep 25, 2022, 7:10:22 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 3:40:21 PM UTC-7, Bob Casanova wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:49:26 -0700 (PDT), the following
> appeared in talk.origins, posted by Glenn
> <GlennS...@msn.com>:
> >Natural Selection has been described both as a process and a mechanism.
> >
> >Are the two concepts equal? Is NS both a process and a mechanism?
> >Evolution is said to be both a fact and a theory.
> >Is the process of NS a fact or a theory, and is the mechanism or process of NS a fact or a theory, or both?
> >
> >Very simple:
> >
> >"Natural selection is a simple mechanism that causes populations of living things to change over time. In fact, it is so simple that it can be broken down into five basic steps, abbreviated here as VISTA: Variation, Inheritance, Selection, Time and Adaptation."
> >
> >https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/darwin/evolution-today/natural-selection-vista
> >
> >Not that NS "can cause", but "causes" populations of things to change over time". And apparently NS is also a result of several processes, any or all of which do not necessarily result in macroevolution.
> >
> >Are they being honest?
> >
> Do you think they aren't? In what manner?

Ask yourself that.

erik simpson

Sep 25, 2022, 7:35:22 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
And how about you? Are you being honest?

Glenn

Sep 25, 2022, 7:55:21 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
About what? Identify something above that I said that may not be true.

Are you being honest about asking me whether I am being honest?

erik simpson

Sep 25, 2022, 8:05:22 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
I am. And that illustrates my point; you never really say anything.

Glenn

Sep 25, 2022, 8:20:21 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
That actually illustrates the point that you have said nothing above.

Bob Casanova

Sep 25, 2022, 9:20:22 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:08:13 -0700 (PDT), the following
Nope; sorry. You asked. If you're not interested it's not
worth my time and I can't help you.

Bob Casanova

Sep 25, 2022, 9:20:22 PM9/25/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 17:01:49 -0700 (PDT), the following
appeared in talk.origins, posted by erik simpson
<eastsi...@gmail.com>:
It's a word game.

Glenn

Sep 25, 2022, 11:00:22 PM9/25/22