Larry is trying to clean up the Wikipedia stables

*Hemidactylus*

May 15, 2022, 10:21:08 AM5/15/22
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Larry Moran (aka Genome42) has taken to trying to clear up some issues with
the Wikipedia page on “non-coding DNA”:

https://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2022/05/editing-wikipedia-article-on-non-coding.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-coding_DNA

So apparently junk DNA doesn’t warrant its own separate page. Good to see
Larry making the effort, but it’s not going over well with others.

I guess this dustup reflects on the value of Wikipedia as a source for
certain topics. I’ll be getting my commentary on junk DNA via Larry’s blog
entries over the years as I consider him a reputable expert.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

May 15, 2022, 11:41:08 AM5/15/22
to talk-o...@moderators.individual.net
On 2022-05-15 14:17:06 +0000, *Hemidactylus* said:

> Larry Moran (aka Genome42) has taken to trying to clear up some issues with
> the Wikipedia page on “non-coding DNA”:
>
> https://sandwalk.blogspot.com/2022/05/editing-wikipedia-article-on-non-coding.html
>

> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-coding_DNA

Yes, I saw that.

> So apparently junk DNA doesn’t warrant its own separate page. Good to see
> Larry making the effort, but it’s not going over well with others.

I've taken it up on the relevant Talk pages, and have received some
rather unsatisfactory responses from Larry's main opponent. If there
are others here that are registered as editors at Wikipedia they can
perhaps put theit oars in as well. It will do Ramos1990 no harm to know
that other people agree that a journalist and a science adminstrator
are less reliable sources than the author of a leading textbook of
biochemistry. It will also do know harm if Nando, Bill, Glenn, Dale?,
etc. contribute, so that people can see that crackpots tend to disagree
with Larry Moran.

--
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.