Another expert about anatomical & physiological impossibilities

jillery

Mar 17, 2023, 10:00:31 PM3/17/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
The following link is to a 45-minute video lecture by Associate
Professor Jeremy DeSilva about the origins (plural) of bipedalism
among human ancestors. Sponsored by Teacher Institute for
Evolutionary Science, the target audience is science teachers.
Following the webinar, Jeremy spends about 30 minutes answering
questions from the audience.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pIS2HjWU4>

From the text introduction:
*******************************
Humans are the only mammals to walk on two, rather than four legs—a
locomotion known as bipedalism. But why, and how, exactly, did we take
our first steps? And at what cost? This talk will take a deep dive
into recent discoveries in Africa and explore how unusual and
extraordinary the seemingly ordinary ability to walk bipedally
actually is. In a seven-million-year journey, this talk will
investigate how upright walking was a gateway to many of the other
attributes that make us human—from our technological abilities to our
dietary diversity-- and may have laid the foundation for our species’
traits of compassion, empathy, and altruism.

Jeremy "Jerry" DeSilva is an Associate Professor of Anthropology at
Dartmouth College. He is a paleoanthropologist, specializing in the
locomotion of the first apes (hominoids) and early human ancestors
(hominins). His particular anatomical expertise-- the human foot and
ankle-- has contributed to our understanding of the origins and
evolution of upright walking in the human lineage. He is the author of
the 2021 book First Steps: How Upright Walking Made Us Human and
editor of A Most Interesting Problem: What Darwin’s Descent of Man Got
Right and Wrong about Human Evolution. From 1998-2003, Jerry worked as
an educator at the Boston Museum of Science and continues to be
passionate about science education.

You're entitled to your own opinions.
You're not entitled to your own facts.

erik simpson

Mar 17, 2023, 11:00:31 PM3/17/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
Compassion, empathy and altruism are traits exhibited by (some) humans, some
more than others. They are not unique to humans, and a list of other characteristics
exhibited by humans doesn't reflect on us positively. it's hard to identify "bad" behavior
without defining what you mean by bad, but the notion of "sin", or just very misguided
behavior is recognized my many human religions, value systems, call them what you
will. Animals are often exempt from judgemental assessment on those grounds.

All that is pretty much a digression from the very interesting subject of how and why
the human version of bipedalism developed as it did.

jillery

Mar 18, 2023, 4:25:31 AM3/18/23
to talk-o...@moderators.isc.org
On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:00:00 -0700 (PDT), erik simpson
<eastsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Compassion, empathy and altruism are traits exhibited by (some) humans, some
>more than others. They are not unique to humans, and a list of other characteristics
>exhibited by humans doesn't reflect on us positively. it's hard to identify "bad" behavior
>without defining what you mean by bad, but the notion of "sin", or just very misguided
>behavior is recognized my many human religions, value systems, call them what you
>will. Animals are often exempt from judgemental assessment on those grounds.
>
>All that is pretty much a digression from the very interesting subject of how and why
>the human version of bipedalism developed as it did.

Yes, and so much so, it's as if you intentionally replied to the wrong
post from the wrong topic, and so I removed the quoted text as
irrelevant to your comments.

But since you mention it, ISMT T.O. posters are a microcosm of the
larger human population, in the sense that it's not a case of what is
"bad" behavior as it is a case of who does it.