Book list for theists to read so they get a clue

0 views
Skip to first unread message

EpicSkeptic

unread,
Jul 16, 2006, 6:29:04 PM7/16/06
to
Since i've already read the bible, which is the only book that believers
BELIEVE they should read that answers everything, lets discontinue the cycle
of ignorance and recommend a book list for theists so they might understand
what reality is and what reality isn't.

1. The Selfish Gene/ Richard Dawkins
2. Demon haunted world/ Carl Sagan
3. Dragons of Eden/ Carl Sagan
4. Losing faith in faith/ Dan Barker
5. The end of faith / Sam Harris

Add to the list


raven1

unread,
Jul 16, 2006, 10:19:55 PM7/16/06
to

I'd add the scriptures of other religions, like the Quran and the
Bhagavad-Gita, hoping that they'll get the point that the Bible is
just one of many different mythologies.
--

"O Sybilli, si ergo
Fortibus es in ero
O Nobili! Themis trux
Sivat sinem? Causen Dux"

Sam

unread,
Jul 17, 2006, 4:19:16 PM7/17/06
to
"EpicSkeptic" <EpicS...@Navy.mil> wrote in message
news:mJKdnXAX2886ICfZ...@comcast.com...

Here's a few...

Evolution
Origin of Species / Darwin
What Evolution Is / Mayer
Blind Watchmaker / Dawkins
From Fish to Philosopher / Homer Smith

Get Rational
Why People Believe Weird Things / Michael Sherman
(and Demon Haunted World)

Historical Survey of Abrahamic Religions
History of God / Karen Armstrong (ex-nun, great read)

Classic Commentary on Literal Biblical Interpretaion
Age of Reason / Thomas Paine (1780s)
Mistakes of Moses / Robert Intersol (1879)

Biblical Authorship
Who Wrote the Bible / Friedman
The Bible with Sources Revealed / Friedman

What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It? / Dever
The Bible in Translation: Ancient and English Versions / Metzger

Actual History
Penguin Historical Atlas of Ancient Civilizations
History of the Ancient Near East / Marc Van De Mieroop
The Oxford History of the Biblical World

Archeology and the Bible
Rise of Ancient Israel / Shanks, Dever, Halpern, McCarter
Bible Unearthed / Finkelstien & Silberman
Who where the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From? / Dever

Ancient Israelite/Canaanite "Religion"
Early History of God / Mark Smith
Cananite Myth and Hebrew Epic / Frank Moore Cross
The Religion of Ancient Israel / Miller
Origins of Biblical Monotheism / Mark Smith
The Tenth Generation: The Origins of the Biblical Tradition / Mendenhall
Ancient Israel's Faith and History: The Bible in Context / Mendenhall
Mythology's Last Gods: Yahweh and Jesus / Harwood
Spirituality in the Land of the Noble : How Iran Shaped the World's
Religions

Biblical Concepts in Context
Old Testament Parallels / Matthews
Myths from Mesopotamia / Dalley
Stories From Ancient Canaan / Michael Coogan
Legends of the Egyptian Gods / Budge
Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends / Spence
101 Myths of the Bible / Greenberg

Origins of Christiany

The Oxford History of Christianity / McManners
From Jesus to Christ / Paula Fredriksen (Wow)
When Jesus Became God / Rubenstein
River of God: A New History of Christian Origins / Riley
Misquoting Jesus / Ehrman
The Gnostic Gospels / Pagels
The Nag Hammadi Library / Robinson

Mythology (What it all boils down to)
World Mythology / Henry Holt Reference Book
Power of Myth / Joseph Campbell

Early History of Man
Journey of Man / Spencer Wells
Mapping Human History / Olson
Guns, Germs, and Steel / Jared Diamond

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki

unread,
Jul 19, 2006, 12:39:15 AM7/19/06
to

ANIMAL LIBERATION/ Peter Singer

Message has been deleted

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki

unread,
Jul 19, 2006, 9:43:42 AM7/19/06
to

kno...@knowhere.invalid wrote:
> Reading the bible on my own, with no one trying to feed me the
> "party line" about what it is supposed to mean, turned me into
> an atheist.

The same thing happened to Ronnie 20 years ago; although the bile-ball
has
some interesting stories and creative writing, en toto it is boring,
repetitive
and subjective. Can you say THOMAS PAINE?

Message has been deleted

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki

unread,
Jul 20, 2006, 1:43:17 AM7/20/06
to
> While I found Paine's critique of the bible in "The Age Of
> Reason" enlightening, if I recall correctly, his defense of
> deism was just a re-hash of the "first cause" argument.
>
> However, I really liked his idea of studying the creator by
> studying the creation, through science.
>
> --
OK, he was a deist; the point is he was the first to debunk
both testaments, exposing their idiocy.

He was jailed because the JC-crowd had no rebuttal.

Lucifer

unread,
Aug 2, 2006, 10:04:11 AM8/2/06
to

I would also add The Necessity of Atheism by Shelley
Pretty much everything by Dawkins as well.

Dave in Lake Villa

unread,
Aug 2, 2006, 9:04:04 PM8/2/06
to
'EpicSkeptic wrote:
Since i've already read the bible, which is the only book that believers
BELIEVE they should read that answers everything, lets discontinue the
cycle of ignorance and recommend a book list for theists so they might
understand what reality is and what reality isn't.
1. The Selfish Gene/ Richard Dawkins
2. Demon haunted world/ Carl Sagan
3. Dragons of Eden/ Carl Sagan
4. Losing faith in faith/ Dan Barker
5. The end of faith / Sam Harris'

REPLY: For the Atheist , so he/she can see just how utterly silly and
irrational it is to keep denying the Creator (even though he/she knows a
Creator must exist deep down inside) :

1. I Dont Have Enough Faith to be An Atheist
(www.impactapologetics.com)

2. Testimony of the Evangelist by Prof. SImon Greenleaf ( worlds
foremost court evidential scholar who ever lived and put the New
Testament concerning Christs death and ressurection to the test)

3. Who Moved The Stone book, written by a popular skeptic Attorney who
set out to discredit Christianity in his book, but half way thru writing
the book became a Christian.

4. To Hell and Back book, by Dr. Maurice Rawlings (Surgeon) , who
performed many ressusitations and recorded their responses on audio
tape.

5. Secular Humanism versus The Christian Faith video debate
(www.ankerberg.com) . Between the Humanist of the Year and Dr. Norman
Geisler. Best tape on how rediculous atheism and humanism is.

6. Website on modern Scientific Evidence of our Universe, Solar System,
and Earth which points only to a Theistic Personal Creator
(www.reasons.org). Over 133 parameters so far discovered by the
Scientific Community of our solar system , alone, which are all needed
'simultaneously', for earth to survive and support life. List gets
added to nearly monthly.

7. The 12 points that Prove Christianity booklet , by Dr. Norman
Geisler. www.impactapologetics.com . Gives rational proofs for God,
Christ, The New Testament credibility, the Ressurection, Heaven and
Hell, Absolute Moral Laws.

8. Evidence Demands a Verdict book, by Josh McDowell.

9. Mere Christianity book, by C.S. Lewis. Famous British philosopher
who went from atheism to Christian.

10. Ready With An Answer , By John Ankerberg and John Weldon.
www.ankerberg.com . Gives many evidences for America being founded on
The Christian Faith alone, How all the Founders of the modern Sciences
were Christians/Theists with verbatim quotes, proofs of the
Ressurection of Christ, and lists of famous people in history who were
devoted Christians including Generals, Presidents, Scientists, etc..
plus alot more .

Randy

unread,
Aug 2, 2006, 10:24:39 PM8/2/06
to
Dave in Lake Villa wrote: a lorry load of shite

This post purloined from another group:
This imbecile (DILV) appears here from time to time, sticks around for
a week
and then leaves.
Trying to engage him in logical discourse is a
complete waste of time and bandwidth!
Graham

Further justification of killfilling the imbecile:
His ISP is Webtv, which somehow attracts so many similar f**headed
nutcases
Randy RR

R. Pierce Butler

unread,
Aug 3, 2006, 3:34:20 AM8/3/06
to
DaveInL...@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote in news:11008-
44D14B...@storefull-3235.bay.webtv.net:

maybe you would like a deconstruction of all of your evidence there fundy.

youcantreallybelievethat

unread,
Aug 8, 2006, 12:26:19 AM8/8/06
to

Did I miss it or did you forget "The Antichrist" by Friedrich Nietzsche

Read it online:

http://www.fns.org.uk/ac.htm

Lucifer

unread,
Aug 13, 2006, 9:15:20 AM8/13/06
to

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:

This troll seems to think it is reasonable to send messages to a
personal address containing personal attacks.
Needless to say he has yet to justify himself on this, and has yet to
actually support any of his assertions.
The man is clearly an underintelligent, brain washed, fool

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages