Soon to be empty-nester

1 view

Floritucky

May 31, 2011, 9:00:27 AM5/31/11
to Talk Marion County 24/7
Hi, I am soliciting advice from any of you who have had a child move
off to a far away college. My only child will soon be 8 hours away
when she enters college this fall. Anything that might be helpful
would be appreciated.

lebanonfan

May 31, 2011, 8:49:11 PM5/31/11
to Talk Marion County 24/7
FL/KY, I feel ya! I hope someone has some good advice for you on this,
but it'll be hard for you to get used to. Maybe you need to think of
things you have put off for yourself while supporting your child all
these years and do some of those things.

BOTH you and your daughter are embarking on a new journey of
independence, and your journey may be more difficult than hers! Maybe
you need to start with psyching yourself up to appreciate the
"liberating" aspect of it (and you will have to psych yourself, as it
does not feel so liberating at first!) Your daughter will find it much
easier to feel liberated because she will be immersed in new
experiences and surroundings, while you are left in the family home
experiencing her absence for the first time in your life -- and with
lots of reminders that she's no longer under your roof. You will both
be fine, but you have the greater challenge!

Floritucky

Jun 3, 2011, 8:11:41 PM6/3/11
to Talk Marion County 24/7
I think you may be right LF. Even my daughter thinks it's probably
going to be harder on me than it is her. It's kind of weird that I was
in her shoes in 1979 except I only went to college in Louisville. I
went home every weekend. It doesn't seem so far away now but it sure
did then. And she will be 8 hours away. She will only be coming home
on school breaks. We can get to her pretty fast though. My best friend
lives in Ft. Lauderdale and she can get to her faster than me. I will
give this some thought and prayer. Thanks LF!