Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy

Alex Banwell

Mar 29, 2022, 3:13:48 AM3/29/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Apologies folks for rushing off and missing the talk, I'd had a mad day at work on very little sleep and was struggling to stay awake. Thanks to Alex for the excellent intro.

Don't know if was being sleep deprived but I was rather irritated by the first half of the film. The first story and the first half of the second story honestly made me think Hamaguchi really dislikes women, but then we get that marvellous scene in the professors office (though then followed by a baffling epilogue to that story).
The third short was just a delight from start to finish though and was worth the price of entry alone. I look forward to revisiting when I'm not desperately trying to keep my eyes open.

Was the reaction generally positive?

Also, don't know what introductions have been agreed to but happy to do any that haven't been picked up yet.

Alex

annebarc

Mar 29, 2022, 3:54:52 AM3/29/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
I was in total agreement with you, Alex, and sleep deprivation wasn't my problem :)

Anne

John Harvey

Mar 29, 2022, 11:19:22 AM3/29/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Hi Alex,

I wondered where you went until Anne kindly explained.

A mixed bag all round, some loved the 3rd story but one (or two people) zoned out out of that one completely. Personally I enjoyed 2 > 3 > 1 but it was great to hear how differently some segments were interpreted. As Alex mentioned in the intro there was no unnecessary exposition so it was left to each person to come to their own conclusions (especially relevant to the third story).

Would you like to introduce The Worst Person in The World??

Still a couple of films to select - we asked about CODA but it's streaming only.

Thanks,

John