Parallel Mothers / Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy

John Harvey

Feb 16, 2022, 11:10:17 AM2/16/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Thanks Alec, for the introduction and post-film talk on Monday, it really helped my understanding of the film (and looking forward to a visit to a hospital with those amazing vibrant colours!).

Steve - I hope all is alright with you, I hope it wasn't more car trouble that caused to miss the film on Monday

Alex - Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is confirmed for Monday 28 March, from director Ryusuke Hamaguchi (who made Drive My Car). It includes a brief intro by the director himself.

Cheers,

John

Steveandkerry Riddell

Feb 16, 2022, 5:04:29 PM2/16/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Hello John

 I mentioned that I was going to be away, maybe you were not present when I told Alec . Was it good anyway, the Almodovar?

Steve

Alexander Barclay

Feb 16, 2022, 6:13:49 PM2/16/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, it’s good to know that my efforts at presenting a film are appreciated.

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy is showing 99% on Rotten Tomatoes. You can put me down for the introduction, if that’s ok.

Alec

On 16 Feb 2022, at 16:10, John Harvey <rbcfilm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Alec, for the introduction and post-film talk on Monday, it really helped my understanding of the film (and looking forward to a visit to a hospital with those amazing vibrant colours!).

Alex Banwell

Feb 17, 2022, 4:05:24 AM2/17/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Response was broadly very positive Steve.

I had some reservations (wouldn't put it above the last few he's done) but it was still Almodovar. Looked amazing and Penelope Cruz was phenomenal as she always is in his films.

Alex

Steveandkerry Riddell

Feb 17, 2022, 4:10:24 AM2/17/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Ah good, I have it on my list. Was the article useful?
Steve

Alexander Barclay

Feb 17, 2022, 6:32:47 AM2/17/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve

The Sight and Sound article on Almodovar was really excellent and gave me the starting point for my research. I really enjoyed the film, but would have liked to have seen more on the story about the mass grave. However as a Spanish lady pointed out at the discussion, Almodovar has already made himself unpopular with some in Spain by daring to raise an issue which they would rather not acknowledge. I felt that tackling this issue raised it above the level of his other films.

Shame you missed the discussion, as we had people from Venezuela, Spain, Poland, Croatia, and Germany. Not bad for a Monday night.

Alec
On 17 Feb 2022, at 09:10, Steveandkerry Riddell <stevea...@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Robert Burns Centre Film Club" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/talk-cinema/CAERavHvbZVy26-K4HrFc9KL-OBFK5_ALN_NHG4V1BKQU505UKA%40mail.gmail.com.