Captioned films

Alexander Barclay

Apr 2, 2022, 9:40:32 AM4/2/22
to Robert Film Club
Hi John

Just wondered what your current thoughts are on captioned films? I now know of two people who find them totally distracting to the point of spoiling their enjoyment of the films. Are you actually pulling hard of hearing people into the cinema because you are offering this service? I have to say that my own hearing has deteriorated quite a bit, but I don’t need to use my hearing aids when watching any of the films you show, and I have to say that a caption telling me that someone is mumbling, the type of music playing,or a car has just driven past is distracting for me also. Just a thought.

Alec

John Harvey

Apr 5, 2022, 7:50:02 AM4/5/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
HI Alec,

happy to revisit this. We have subtitled and captioned screenings elsewhere in the programme. Would you prefer they were subtitled instead of captioned or neither?

thanks,

John

Christine

Apr 5, 2022, 7:41:34 PM4/5/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com

They certainly get my vote for dialogue, although I agree it’s annoying when they explain stuff that’s totally obvious. By the way John can I change my email address to verr...@gmail.com for this group?

Sent from Mail for Windows

Steveandkerry Riddell

Apr 6, 2022, 3:02:19 AM4/6/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
The only time I found them distracting was during Flee but if it is not attracting people from the community and annoying some folk then I don't mind going with the flow or the subtitle compromise.

Pat Pickering

Apr 6, 2022, 4:11:08 PM4/6/22
to talk-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you need to have hearing difficulties to appreciate the use of subtitles or captions in films. I don't have hearing problems, but find I put the subtitles on more and more often. Maybe actors adopting accents or dialects, or speaking indistinctly, do so to appear "realistic", but there are times when it is difficult to follow a conversation if there are no subtitles. Just as an example, I really wish they had been available when I saw "Manchester" - am sure I missed most of what was being said in that film!
However, as I haven't been to the cinema much recently, maybe my vote doesn't count!
Pat

Apr 7, 2022, 4:43:35 AM4/7/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
HI,

how about we keep to Subtitles for English language films where available (the next one will be The Northman)?

I quite enjoy subtitles (especially when there are song lyrics) but the captions, for me at least, are an unnecessary distraction. As mentioned we'll have other more commercial films in our programme with Captions specifically for hard of hearing customers.

Red Rocket is confirmed which just leaves one final film in the season on 30 May. If I provide a list of 4 films would you like to decide? We can also let the other Monday regulars (those not on this forum) a chance to choose too.

Tony - I don't know how you update your email, maybe something Brian can do for you?

Pat - yes, your vote counts. Agreed, any film with Casey Affleck needs subtitling. It's almost impossible to hear what he's saying in Gone, Baby Gone without them!

Thanks,

John

Steveandkerry Riddell

Apr 7, 2022, 5:00:15 AM4/7/22
to Robert Burns Centre Film Club
Hello John

Glad to see Red Rocket on, happy to introduce that one.

Steve

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Robert Burns Centre Film Club" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/talk-cinema/05fa6fec-95fa-4004-87e7-3a55473bd69dn%40googlegroups.com.